Pre-season training camps and fixtures (West Ham)

Comments

• Bayern Munich are currently losing 2-0 to Naples. Oh dear, their pre-season form is bad, they are going to get relegated. ;wahoo
  • It will be a completely different story for us when we line up at old Trafford
  • I think the city game will be taken a bit more serious per Chic interview.

“It’s a very good match for us to see where we are and what we need to work on in the next week before we face Manchester United [in the opening Premier League fixture].
  • Napoli are a very good team, by the way! No embarrassment in any of the top teams in Europe losing to them.
  • IronHerb said:

Reid did really well then considering he was sent off 10 minutes previous to our second goal. ;hmm

Nice one, Herbie Hancock. ;) I meant second goal of the match, having just posted about the first goal of the match. Perfectly, obvious and clear to anyone but a mischief-maker, I should have thought. ;devil
  • Respective squads for today's game:

West Ham United: Hart, Adrian, Zabaleta, Byram, Masuaku, Fonte, Collins, Ogbonna, Rice, Obiang, Makasi, Noble, Fernandes, Snodgrass, Arnautovic, Holland, Ayew, Chicharito, Martinez

Manchester City: Ederson, Grimshaw, Muric, Walker, Danilo, Kompany, Stones, Sterling, Aguero, Mangala, De Bruyne, Sane, Silva, Bernardo, Fernandinho, Roberts, Otamendi, Jesus, Zinchenko, Toure, Adarabioyo, Diaz, Foden

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/august/03-august/manchester-city-v-west-ham-united-all-you-need-know

We have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Oh, and Aguero.

And De Bruyne.

And Silva.

And Sane.

And Jesus...
  • Is Cresswell injured as well now? No Lanzini, Kouyate, Antonio, Sakho, Carroll. Still think our squad looks light considering the injuries.
  • Cresswell has a 'minor' injury according to something I read and is back at Rush Green with the other walking wounded.

Our midfield does look particularly weak, IMO.

That said, I'm looking forward to watching this later ;wahoo
  • Cresswell has a 'minor' injury according to something I read and is back at Rush Green with the other walking wounded.

Our midfield does look particularly weak, IMO.

That said, I'm looking forward to watching this later ;wahoo
  • You can say that again Swift
  • Reid suspended?

They actually enforce bans for pre season red cards?

Jeez
  • Lukerz

I guess it makes a kind of sense, otherwise there's no real deterrent.

Just makes the ref's prima donna behaviour more absurd.
  • Think Reid has a knock and is set to face a team behind closed doors for the U23s tomorrow along with sakho

I think
  • Half the team out before the season even begins the West Ham curse ;weep
  • edited August 2017

Think Reid has a knock and is set to face a team behind closed doors for the U23s tomorrow along with sakho

I think

Champo, no - definitely suspended (as per club's match preview) ... hence getting game time (as you say) with the U23s as he needs matches to build up his fitness ;ok
  • edited August 2017
    So what do we reckon we'll see today?

Hart
    Zabaleta - Fonte - Ogbonna
    Byram - Noble - Obiang - Masuaku
    Ayew - Arnautovic
    Chicharito

Got to get at least 60-70 mins out of that XI. Then the likes of Collins, Fernandes, Snodgrass, Martinez etc from the bench.
  • Be interesting to see how long Chicarito gets - 45 mins?

(Making my confident prediction that he would start in our early Prem games look ridiculous now ;doh.)
  • Mrs G,

I think Hernandez will start against Man United. He hasn't had much of a pre-season, but that's because he was still playing competitive football over the summer.

I don't think his fitness will have dropped enough to delay his start of the season overly, and we need him if Sakho isn't going to be ready, so I think Bilic will risk it.
  • I reckon today will be something like:

Hart; Zabaleta Fonte Ogbonna Masuaku; Noble Obiang; Snodgrass Ayew Arnautovic; Hernandez

I think it's unlikely he'll switch away from a back 4
  • I agree with that alderz, Slav's gone with a back four all pre-season as far as I'm aware so it looks like that is his intentions for the season. He's going to want to play his (as close as possible due to injuries) best 11 in prep for the season's start. Give them game time, and especially with the 'newbies' get them used to playing with our stalwarts. To the point I would expect your 11 to be bang on.

I personally (if I was looking at getting a 'result' from this game as opposed to 'fitness') would start Fernandes over Ayew as the ACM as he is more defensively minded than Ayew so our 4231 could flow to a 433 when defensive against such opposition, but we will see.

Looking forward to watching it, hopefully seeing a top end performance. coyi ;scarf

(Also considering we have AC, Sakho, Reid, Kouyate, Antonio, Feghouli, Lanzini, and Cresswell all out injured, it's a decent 11, could not have said that a couple of years ago in such circumstances). ;ok
  • Mrs G,

I think Hernandez will start against Man United.

Me too ;hmm

(Jorderz, I was puzzled by your comment until I realised that despite meaning to type 'wouldn't start' in my previous comment, it came out as 'would' ;lol ;doh ;wahoo )
  • Lukerz said:

Reid suspended?

They actually enforce bans for pre season red cards?

Jeez

I thought this at the time - is he also banned for Man Utd? I.e. three games?
  • baracks

Well , it was 2 yellows, so would only be a 1 game ban, but I don't think friendlies count towards PL games anyway.
  • Being suspended for a friendly is absolutely ridiculous. I get that there might need to be a deterrent against reckless behaviour etc, but losing a man in the friendly is enough. Suspending him for the next one is farcical.
  • The ref was enjoying his moment in the spot light....
  • I think they only enforce them if it a truly horrendous foul. Wasn't a ManU player banned for the start of last season after bein sent off in pre-season?
  • Who enforces the ban in friendly competition though? It's not affiliated to a governing body so it surely can't be enforced?
  • I think Martinez will start and chicarito on at half time
  • edited August 2017
    alderz said:

Who enforces the ban in friendly competition though? It's not affiliated to a governing body so it surely can't be enforced?

Fifa. From their disciplinary code - see g.

friendly cards

(I suppose friendlies still have to be regulated - eg, doping etc.)
  • ;nonono doping that's just the players right ,not the fans ;biggrin