Let's keep it below 4 (Arsenal Away 5/4/2017 match thread)

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Got the defence sorted out:
    defence
    ;biggrin
  • I'd probably go for:-

--------------------------ADRIAN-------------------------
    --------------KOUYATE-----COLLINS---FONTE---------------
    ------BYRAM---------NOBLE---NORDVEIDT-------CRESSWELL--
    -------------------SNODGRASS-----LANZINI-----------------
    -----------------------------ANTONIO---------------------

-As others (and i also) have stated, I would like to see Adrian brought back into the 11. I think some of his "mistakes" were over exaggerated and he still remains the better keeper, although Randolph has made a lot of strides.

-I would save Carroll for the swansea match because that is more winnable, a bigger match in the context of the season, he has a great record against them and vs the elite teams his lack of mobility does make him a passenger at times if isolated; though he is still an option off the bench. Playing 3 times in 7 days for carroll isnt right.

-Arsenal will concede chances, so if we can frustrate then the chances/opportunities will be there. I think we will revert to a back 3, it suits us more vs the elite.
  • I think Carroll should play he did score a hatrick against them, think he can bully their defence
  • Might as well run up the white flag if we are dropping AC o. Arthur has to lay for Cresswell as he is very poor at the moment.
  • The way I see it our defence is a mess and it isn't about to be fixed in this fixture against the quality of their attack. Trying to keep things tight at the expense of all other is futile and won't work.

We need to focus on our ability to score goals and their propensity to concede them. It's our only chance of getting something out of this game. We WILL have our chances against a defence missing Kocielny

As for AC - first name on the team sheet
  • Fernandes needs to start we're going to need his energy

We're probably getting walloped and it's a license to print money with AFC at 4/9

They're under pressure there is only one outcome
  • edited April 2017
    Might be worth the diamond:

Adrian
    Byram - Fonte - Collins - Masuaku
    Nordtveit
    Noble - Kouyate
    Lanzini
    Ayew - Carroll
  • I would drop Fonte and let Kouyate partner Collins, Artur to replace Cresswell and Fernandes in the middle with Noble. Wouldn't risk Nordy boy on this one he could be on a hiding to nothing, our outlets would be Ayew, Carroll, Lanzini and Antonio who would really need to help Byram out

• I'm going 2-0 to Us. I'm going all out positive. ;wahoo
  • Can't we play the West Brom tactics at Old Trafford last Saturday, it appeared to work they go a draw?
  • Lol talking of which did you see that question the bloke asked Jose?!?

I know he can be sarcy at times but seriously that was one dumb question "do you think both sides cancelled themselves out"

Jose looked at him like he had two heads!! There was one team trying to win the game, De Gea was messing around in his goal bored and they went over the half way line once......

What he should of asked him was "do you think you were outtacticked"

;biggrin
  • The Albion defence cancelled out United's attack. Reasonable question imo. Mourinho did what he does best and made it about the press and not the poor result and display.
  • West Bron's defence is strong and Man Utd's attack not the most potent

Whereas our defence is highly suspect and arsenal'ls attack is quality

For those reasons, trying the West Brom approach at the emirates will fail miserably
  • They were not cancelling each other out imo

It was a ridiculous question poorly worded, if I didn't know better I'd say the interviewer was looking for a reaction

IMO
  • edited April 2017
    If Hull beat Boro (at home) and Swansea (also home) get a positive result against Spurs, we could be 3 points off relegation come Thurs.

Amazing considering we were about 12 clear a month ago.
  • And only by goal difference come Sunday morning if we don't wake up.
  • And if we get 3 points off Arsenal then it will still be 6 points.
  • Cresswell out of this and Swansea.

Antonio and Sakho in the squad.
  • Arsenal appeared to play better in their last match vs City, just our luck...I see a hiding on the cards unless we go straight for them...if we can get 2 up we might have them rattled otherwise....
  • edited April 2017
    I think it's worth just packing the back line, dropping Andy for this one, saving him for the Swans (as twc says) and going with what little pace we have on the break.

Adrian
    Byram - Kouyate - Nordtveit - Fonte - Collins - Masuaku
    Noble - Lanzini
    Antonio - Ayew
  • Arsenal aren't big up front (unless the play Giroud) but they're quick, I might be tempted to play Kouyate at CB rather than Ginge who isn't the fastest on his feet these days
  • Get Fernandes in.....

What the odds Carroll gets injured and doesn't play against one of his fav sides
  • On the wings is where they will kill us Sanchez against Byram... ;sofa
  • Cresswell out for Arsenal and Swansea but Antonio back.
  • Sakho may be on the bench.
  • Might be strange but I have this really odd feeling we're going to win tonight. ;hmm

1-2
  • I've refrained from saying this, I've not said it before as I like to avoid knee jerk reactions, but I've had a long, hard think about it. I think we might be relegated this year. In fact, I almost put a bet on it yesterday as some kind of compensation if we go down / payment to the cause to keep us up!

I've lost so much interest because we are so, so bad. I appreciate the optimism that some still hold on here, I like to think I'm usually one of the more optimistic fans over previous seasons, but not this year.

I hope I'm wrong.
  • I'm with you eski. I can feel it in my waters. Six points should see us safe, but I'm far from convinced that we'll get them
  • edited April 2017
    I keep thinking we'll be fine and I honestly think we will.....we have enough games to get the 3-4 points required, for me it's one of Swansea or Hull going down.

Sam will do enough at Palace, Bournemouth have a horrendous run in they're not out of this yet.

I can see us getting well beaten tonight, I mean the only teams they've beaten since Feb are Lincoln and Sutton Utd!! They have their 3rd choice keeper playing a key injury in defence and their club captain hasn't played since 2014!! Their fans are fighting.....they're all over the shop, which can only mean one thing, West Ham United roll in to town and BOOM there's your three or four goal win!!

I think we will beat Swansea at the weekend.

All that being said......wouldn't this be so West Ham, end the Boleyn on a high, nice new stadium, spend a bit of money on transfers that don't work out and get relegated just when you least need? Is this the next level the owners mentioned?

This would be so, so West Ham, it would even out West Ham, West Ham......

coyi

(but there again so would beating AFC)
  • Well the way we are playing at the moment we won't, but we do have a history
    of blowing hot and cold, and probably one of the hardest teams to predict.
This discussion has been closed.