Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Palace spent £80m but made around £40m in player sales, we spent around £70m and sold around £35m.

We have double the capacity of Palace but we split the gate receipts with LLDC/GLA

The £40m or whatever we made on the Boleyn went straight to the bank to repay some of The Debt
  • So we were better off staying at the Boleyn then? I thought the move would help is sign better players?
  • Presumably, by reducing the debt by £40m we are in a better financial position, and therefore are able to grow as a club and not be hampered by so much debt. This would eventually lead to our ability to sign better players.
  • wait, a long term plan to improve the club doesn't mean that the very next season we are going to be in the champions league and winning the premiership!

Well the club lied to us all then!!
  • Yest Twist, we would have been much better off staying at the Boleyn, with £40m debt and 20 000 less paying customers.

It's hard to know what the owners were thinking...
  • We have double the capacity of Palace but we split the gate receipts with LLDC/GLA

Yest Twist, we would have been much better off staying at the Boleyn, with £40m debt and 20 000 less paying customers.

It's hard to know what the owners were thinking...

But, if we're having to split revenue with LLDC, have we really got 20,000 more paying customers now? I can't claim to know the full details of the agreement (I thought we just paid rent and got to keep all our gate receipts), but if ASLEF is right then are we really any better off?
  • I didn't think we were splitting the gate. ;hmm
  • As far as I understand we pay rent and get to keep all the gate receipts. We get some of the food etc sales above a certain amount and would only get some of the naming rights money if it was above 4m a season. The figure quoted was they we were roughly 12m a season better than at the Boleyn
  • I dont believe we need a major overhaul or substantial surgery to the squad, there's alot of factors as to why this season has been a challenging one and any rash decisions will only harm us in the long run. I don't believe there's been a lack of investment from the owners and in modern football it doesnt serve any real benefit to consistently compare like for like with other clubs because alot of it is just plain reckless. There was enough investment this season but flagrantly boasting about big money moves and not delivering is what has caused the unrest amongst fans; they have shown they are willing to invest but there are alot of questions over them in regards to their ability to sign "elite" players (desirable players, lots of competition, etc etc) because it is a completely different process than what they have been used to working on.

I would like to keep this squad together, trim it down a touch and focus on signing those to directly address our weaknesses or imbalances because the core of our squad is there already and I would like to see us show greater faith to those who havent performed at their best this season because theres clearly been alot of issues at the club. From the outset I would like to see us promote Burke and Cullen, both have done their apprenticeships away from the club and now is a good opportunity to invest in them within the 1st team and both would supplement a very strong core within the 1st team which makes it easier to integrate them:- At CB-Fonte, Reid, Ogbonna, Collins; at CM:-Noble, Obiang, Kouyate, Lanzini, Nordveidt.

The key areas I think are RB and CF; Defoe and Zabaleta have both been linked and IMO they would be 2 excellent signings on free transfers and would address a direct need whilst ticking alot of boxes which you want in regards to in-comings at WHU (proven, PL experience, etc). Elsewhere, I think we need a powerful left footed left winger to provide greater natural width and another option on the counter attack, whilst if there is an exceptional Keeper about then that would be a great investment to make. The perfect scenario would be Joe Hart and Ivan Persic but transfers are alot more complex than just picking and choosing like fantasy football.

It also underlines how important it is to keep a manager at the club long term to shape and develop the squad how he sees it because its all very subjective and down to the eye of the beholder; a new manager could come in and very easily want 8+ signings, significantly reduce the roles of Lanzini, Antonio, etc, send the youngsters out on further loans, etc, etc and we are stuck in myopic loop every season of not really building anything or seeing progressive values within the 1st team set up. I would love the club to invest in Slaven Bilic and give him a new long term deal.
  • So bored of football this year.
  • edited April 2017
    I cant agree with signing more 30+ year olds we will hit a huge wall where we lose several 30+ players in one slice and the club will not have the finance to replace. I also think we have enough proven / experience PL players in the squad.

I think Zabaleta and Defoe are decent options (as backup) but not signings that should slot into the first 11. From watching this season we are already lacking pace and energy when Antonio is out. Zabaleta I don't think will be a marauding RB that you need in this day and age of the PL and I don't think Defoe is someone who is going to stretch defences greatly. Defoe is a crafty Fox in the box player not necessarily a channel runner like Sakho which is what we need when Carroll doesn't press defences up top.

• It also underlines how important it is to keep a manager at the club long term to shape and develop the squad how he sees it because its all very subjective and down to the eye of the beholder; a new manager could come in and very easily want 8+ signings, significantly reduce the roles of Lanzini, Antonio, etc, send the youngsters out on further loans, etc, etc and we are stuck in myopic loop every season of not really building anything or seeing progressive values within the 1st team set up. I would love the club to invest in Slaven Bilic and give him a new long term deal.

I think this is a good point ;ok
  • We keep the gate receipts.
  • edited April 2017
    NWC

Yeah, but what about the money?

Oh. I see.... My Bad... ;yercoat
  • Hopefully we can ignore players like Zabaleta and Sagna etc, players who look like the top of the freebies pool when in reality they are at the start of their decline. Some players on the up would be good, on an upwards trajectory.
  • I thought the deal was that LLDC get a percentage up to a certain sum and anything above that we get 100%.
  • The LLDC get the first £500k of catering then 70% of the rest. We get the remaining 30% and we keep the ticket monies.
  • £2m to £2.5m rent annually as part of a 99-year lease.

West Ham will also have to fork out a different amount each year based on which division they are playing in, with the cost rising for every position they finish 10th or above in the Premier League.

Additional fees will be charged if they win the FA Cup, qualify for the Europa League or Champions League, and should they triumph in those tournaments.

Over the first two decades of the stadium’s life, the LLDC will pocket the first £4m of any naming rights deal on the iconic stadium and share anything over that 50-50 with West Ham.

The LLDC will keep the first £500,000 per year, but will share anything after that on a 70-30 split. West Ham will contribute to triggering that £500,000 level by paying the LLDC’s contractor for hospitality catering.

Back to the original thread..... If we are looking at players like John Terry then we could be in for a very long transfer window....
  • AdMeus, it won't be a long transfer window if we do our deals early. ;wink ;biggrin
  • 38m from the sale of UP, 15m to LLDC, 11m to the external bank debt to clear that off, 8m spent on the westhamification of the LS and the Daves took back 4m of their debt/interest

That still leaves 50m owed to the Daves and 40m in transfers etc

Ticket sales go up by 12m to around 40m and we won't get anything out of this Vodafone deal I don't think as it's not over 4m a year

Income should go up to around 170m from this seasons revenue with the TV deal.

I'm guessing the ticket sales will be the transfer budget unless we bring a bit in from sales - Valencia?

Still going to take a couple of years before we can hit any bigger.
  • Have I missed it, or is nobody talking about the John Terry rumour? Slav didn't exactly rubbish the suggestion...
  • I saw that and was aghast.

If Slav elected to try and sign him pushing our younger players down the pecking order he would go down in my estimations massively
  • tbh, I think that the owners would be interested in signing him more than Slav would. I think he would be a good signing, is still a fantastic defender, is a true leader on the pitch, and would improve our side massively.

HOWEVER

I would hate it if we signed him. I really don't like him at all
  • Sign John Terry and we might as well sell Burke and Oxford and save the club some money by disbanding the academy.
  • I'll have to differ Alderz

Apart from the side aspects of him as a person he is a player on the wane

Perhaps made to look better than he is by the excellent players he has all around him

So no thanks - how on earth can we hope to evolve, grow and improve as a team if we resort to players like that?

We already have Fonte who played a massive part as captain in helping nurture younger players at Southampton - we need to find a way for him to spread his influence in a similar way at West Ham
  • Maybe we will buy him to play RB....
  • Next season I think I would like to see us go back to 3-4-3 but actually stick to it. I really like that formation, and I think when players come back we have the personnel for it.

KEEPER; Fonte Reid Ogbonna; Antonio Kouyate Obiang Cresswell; Lanzini Ayew; STRIKER
  • personally if John Terry was to give our defence and team some backbone and help us stop conceding I'd have him all day long. He may be on the wane by CFC title winning standards but he's probably still better all round than we have right now.

Yes we all know the stories that have been trotted out over the years about Terry the person, but he is a very good PL defender, one of the best and most consistent of the PL era and he's a winner with that mentality and never say die attitude.

I'm sick and tired of some of our fans and the ongoing hatred to ex players like lampard Defoe Ince etc, if they ain't got someone to hate they ain't happy.....

It's the kind of thing the Daves would do and if Slav thinks he can get some organization and help in defence then why not.

IMO
  • I think Terrys wages would be too high for us and I would rather spend the money on a long term player rather than a two fix on high wages
  • ;hmm why would a has been have high wages
This discussion has been closed.