Southampton (A) 04/02/17 - 15.00 k/o

Comments

• Very pleased with this result, and very proud of the team. Another very good response and up to 9th.

Need to back it up against West Brom but feeling a lot better now than I did on Wednesday night...

The players reaction at the end was really pleasing to see, and it's a good end to a tough week for Slab, too ;clap
  • edited February 2017
    ;lol He was in the study, I'm in the living room, barracks.

We've got the PC, laptop and tablet on the go, so we can watch football and rugby and still follow the Beeb's thread on other games. ;biggrin
  • What is clear is that this team is united and playing for each other so for me any talk of Slav being vulnerable is way off the mark.

A poor summer transfer window, moved on from now and we have come back better, a manager who steers us through a crisis and on to an upward trajectory and demonstrates learning from his mistake by buying premiership experienced players this time. I still feel we should have got a striker but can accept a view point of a gamble to save the money until the summer due to being nearly safe.

Slav deserves a pat on the back for his recent results amidst the Payet situation (City aside)
  • It was a real team performance IMO
    Not one player stood out for me as a MOM rather a real squad showing ;ok
  • See this is why I'm now a little frustrated - we are in a strange place - 7th is pretty much out of sight. Relegation fears were taken care of in Dec/Jan. No cups to play for - it'll likely be 8th to 11th come what may (even before this game)

Aside from signing the necessary Fonte for oggy and snoddy for Payet that was it in the window

So why at least couldn't they have brought back, say Cullen, for some decent first team experience. If the loan contract allowed this to happen I'd be very disappointed that it didn't happen.

Surely there would have been little to lose?
  • or

We could just enjoy it, the win.

Who knows what Slav will do with a few more wins under our belt and a stable league position.
  • Cullen is gone through major developments while on loan...why bring him into a struggling team (which this season we have been)

I like how they're managing Carroll, hes showing everyone what he's about and if we keep him fit we have a real threat

What is worrying is the lack of a replacement as we really lost something when he was off the pitch

But have to be delighted up to 9th, in gold form Snodgrass looked very lively and good to see Kouyate back even if he was out of position
  • Champo

Arguably if the team weren't struggling he wouldn't get a look in anyway?

Not taking anything away from a magnificent performance but if, as some people suggest, the Dave's were keeping the chequebook zipped, other avenues definitely need to be explored.

Once again the likes of koeman and poch are more than open to giving their youngsters opportunities
  • I got 8 out of 8 results today. Shame i didnt believe enough to put it on an accumulator!
  • McHammer said:

I got 8 out of 8 results today. Shame i didnt believe enough to put it on an accumulator!

Did you predict the rugby right too??!!
  • ;goal

Davis OG

Was it the same Davis that apparently deflected Carroll's shot in for the last goal we scored there (in the video posted above)?
  • Snodgrass seems to be furthest forward now.

I told you Bilic was going to use him as a striker! To be fair (and all that), Snodders did a good job as a #false9. And he may have prevented us having a #crocked9.
  • Two big games now against the team immediately above us and the team immediately below us. Great chance to narrow the gap on West Brom to 2 points next Saturday! Let's make 8th places ours and then track down Everton...
  • Moore

BBC website originally gave our third goal to Davis but changed it 5 minutes later and gave it to Noble.

I've no idea if Davis also had a hand in ACs goal as I've not seen it.
  • On way home, will do a write up later.

COME ON YOU IRONS ;clap ;bowdown
  • Moore

BBC website originally gave our third goal to Davis but changed it 5 minutes later and gave it to Noble.

I've no idea if Davis also had a hand in ACs goal as I've not seen it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I meant was the unfortunate Davis that deflected Noble's goal in this game the same as the poor Davis that apparently (according to the commentator in the video posted earlier in this thread) deflected in Carroll's goal in the game back in 2013 - our last goal at Southampton. I should probably research the teamsheets, but thought someone might just know. Anyway, funny coincidence even if it wasn't the same Davis.
  • Yes it was the same Davis.
  • edited February 2017
    Carroll 'groin twinge' apparently.

I hope for Slav and the boards sake it's days not weeks.
  • Fantastic win so pleased especially after the city game well done lads.
  • Moore ;ok

Sorry I misunderstood.

Poor Davis ;lol
  • Yes it was the same Davis.

Thanks, mate. That really is funny. No, that's unkind. I mean, I really feel for the guy. But nice to know there's a kind of anti-Lukaku out there for us.
  • edited February 2017
    Thought we were very classy first half, dogged second half and worthy of our 3 points overall. Certainly lost something when the big man was withdrawn, but there is no alternative.

Obiang outstanding.
  • O B Trice real name no gimmicks
  • McHammer said:

I got 8 out of 8 results today. Shame i didnt believe enough to put it on an accumulator!

Did you predict the rugby right too??!!
    Actually yes. Predicted scotland would win and do much better this year and thought england would edge it though didnt have chance to bet.

• Brilliant win. Atmosphere was brilliant. Best I've heard in a long time.
    Singing 'super Slav' so loud he kept acknowledging us. ;bowdown

Out best players for me were Obiang and Snodgrass. Obiang has completely proved me wrong this season, what a player. Snodgrass looked good on the ball but what impressed me most was his work rate. Never stopped all game ;clap

Noble, although a little sloppy at times, led the team well. He made some brilliant challenges and set the tone with his commitment.

Randy made some smart saves and looked pretty comfortable. Reid strong as ever and Fonte grew into the game after being a bit nervous early on.

The players came over to us at the end, led by Carroll and Kouyate. Nobes at the end applauded the support. Bilic even popped his head around the tunnel to say thanks again.

Great day. Coyi
  • Lovely jubberly wobbly pops are in full flow

Great win. Just the reaction we all wanted

Super Slav!!

coyi
  • edited February 2017
    We've taken 28 points from our last 18 PL games, with 19 points coming from our past 10 league games.

Those opening 6 games, where we lost five, are basically all that separates us from the top six again.
  • Lukerz

;ok

That's the main reason for doing the next 8 games thread.

It's easy as fans to get sucked into focusing on the last game, and forgetting that we should judge things over a season.
  • Josey Fontey Baby
    Josey Fontey oh oh ohhhhh
  • Obi Obi Obiang, Obiang Obiang, Obi Obi Obiang, Obi Obiang! @Obiang14 ⚒⚽IRONS⚽⚒
This discussion has been closed.