Southampton (A) 04/02/17 - 15.00 k/o

Comments

• wombat: most agree we were never really troubled. Sat back at 3-1, which is where their stats looked better than they (S.ton) actually were.
    I'd predicted this as 2-1 loss, but didn't want to add to the pre-match gloom. Very happy to be wrong about that. And the new ref had a good game, too. ;clap
  • May as well stick with Kouyate at RB for the foreseeable. Much more reliable than Byram.
  • edited February 2017
    Garth Crooks had Antonio, at RB in his team of the week.

(And managed to get in his obligatory dig at the stadium, for good measure. ;lol )
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38873741
  • Only saw snippets of the game but we played much better as a team and the movement overall was better than it has been for a while, particularly up front.
    I agree with Garth, best Antonio has played at right back, faultless ;puzzled
  • "That dreadful stadium they call home"

Thanks Garth, your opinion is duly noted and ignored.
  • Don't hold back Garth, tell us what you really think.
  • edited February 2017
    I can't be bothered to trawl back from my old comments, but at the start of the season when we didn't have a right back I said that I thought Kouyaté would be a decent right back, and it turns out, as expected, I am 100% right, and, even more expected, wonderful.

;diva
  • "good fortune to play away from that dreadful ground they call home."

Can't wait to go for my first game....

Alderz - I think Kouyate can do a job just about anywhere on the pitch. ;ok
  • edited February 2017
    I don't know if anybody ever reads the 10 Talking Points from the Weekend's Football column in the Grauniad?
    This week's is particularly rubbish ;lol

It's all about how we have changed our buying policy from foreign to home grown (Fonte) and how that is working well for us. ;doh

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/06/premier-league-ten-talking-points-from-weekend-action

• eski/vorse

A couple of weeks ago, when Carroll (I think it was) made his team of the week, he prefaced his remarks with a reference to a soulless concrete dustbowl (or words to that effect). ;lol
  • MrsGrey his a card, isn't he...
  • The most ridiculous thing about his article this week, IMO, is that he put Antonio in at RB despite playing up front, and then only mentioned him in passing in his "analysis". He's absolutely dreadful.
  • edited February 2017
    Alderz, you think Antonio is "absolutely dreadful"? ;hmm

;wink
  • It was an excellent team display. Some commentators here refer to match statistics about possession and the number of shots etc, but that is only a part of the story. Stats don't say much about team work, quality of passes or chances. Lots of tippy-tappy passes, side way passes and poor shots add up the stats but don't show aggression, teamwork or quality of attack/defence. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and despite conceding the first goal WHU never looked like losing. It was excellent all round teamwork and Obiang and Snodgrass stood out for me.
  • edited February 2017
    Personally thought it was Obiangs best game (not just because he scored) but he snuffed out a lot of Southamptons attacks and when they did get a shooting opportunity he was usually there to give the striker or midfielder something to think about than get a clean strike off.

Noble seemed to release the ball a bit earlier, still to slow for more liking but seems like Slaven or someone has pointed out he needs to act quicker than he previously has been with the ball.
  • Pengeman

Depends what stats you look at.

Tackles attempted/won, fouls conceded, mistakes forced, interceptions, blocks, clearances, chances created, through balls, % chances inside the box, distance covered are all good indications of the things you mention.

The issue with 'stats' are that people talk about possession as if it's the only one that matters, and it really isn't.
  • edited February 2017
    But the old saying of 'There's only one stat that matters' still holds good and we won that 3-1.
  • Herb

I think we learnt from a number of posters on this site during the Sam Allardyce reign that the only stat that matters isn't the only stat that matters.
  • What's that you said, alderz?

• Currently the wallpaper on twist's mobile phone...
  • alderz said:

Herb

I think we learnt from a number of posters on this site during the Sam Allardyce reign that the only stat that matters isn't the only stat that matters.

How many throw-ins did we get then?
  • You know I really miss the discussions......

"When is a long ball not a long ball" or "What counts as a goalscoring chance"

NOT.
  • edited February 2017
    How about this stat.

Striker Moussa Dembele completes his hat-trick in a 5-2 win for Celtic over St Johnstone with a goal that came at the end of 24 passes involving every member of the Celtic team.

;nonono

I think that's worthy of an Olé
  • Why are you surprised - Celtic are managed by the guy who invented the game
  • There was a back heel and a rabona as well. Mind it was Celtic v some really poor team in the 84min while leading 4-2. I think 3 of the opposition had already gone home.
  • What's that you said, alderz?

scared-child
  • edited February 2017

Currently the wallpaper on twist's mobile phone...

• Twist

That other image stopped showing.

Is the one I've put in the same?
  • Currently the wallpaper on twist's mobile phone...

And his bedroom walls ;lol
  • MrsGrey

But that goal could have been as follows: The whole Celtic team line up in a row on the edge of their penalty box, play 23 passes between themselves, with the St Johnstone players in their own half allowing Celtic to pass around. Then one hoof ball over the top for Dembele, who then scores.

That's how I imagine it happening.
This discussion has been closed.