January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Fonte will strengthen us. Snodgrass is a squad player. He doesn't get in ahead of Antonio, Lanzini or Feghouli for me

The signing of Snodgrass doesn't excite me at all but he'll get in over Feghouli any day of the week.

Snodgrass - Antonio - Lanzini
    Carroll
  • Those stats are really interesting Eski ;ok

I said earlier and yesterday that Snodgrass wouldn't be my choice, but he creates chances and scores goals in an abysmal Hull side. £10m seems steep to me, but maybe the view is that Antonio is our ST cover, meaning WG cover is more important?

We definitely need another winger, as Dimi won't play for us again, IMO.

This is a signing that is underwhelming, but someone who we know will do the business in this division.
  • alderz just dont see it no cup competitions no European place to play for realistically. we already have players who do the business.
  • Snodgrass a decent signing, potentially could be a very good one. Dynamite left foot and some excellent core (though limited) attributes.
  • ;hmm

This was an hour before Sky said we had a 10m bid accepted....

Screenshot_20170126-001004

So is this Ex guy just making it up as he goes along? ;hmm
  • Shame, Feghouli was just starting to show signs of being a decent player, if we get Snodgrass he'll be back on the bench
  • edited January 2017
    Fair play to the board. £18m (potentially) on two players who have no resale value. Two of the best players at their former clubs and players who can go straight into the XI and be expected to do a job.

Snodgrass is not my pick, but the idea of him swinging them in for Big Andy certainly looks a good plan on paper.

Would you rather have Snodgrass or the previous wide option (Tore).

Just waiting on the Dimi money now.
  • Snodgrass scored/assisted for both Norwich and Hull in the Prem. If he has that capacity in poor sides I hope he can contribute (on ACs and MAs heads) with set piece prowess and chip in with at least a similar amount of goals. For the prices others are going for he wouldn't be that bad an acquisition at all. Anyway, he's not signed for us yet.
  • edited January 2017
    I do feel sorry for the board sometimes. When we sign cheap foreign players with no Premier League experience they get criticised. When they bid for a British player who has been one of the leagues most consistent (and successful) performers this season, they get criticised.

Nordtveit, Feghouli, Tore and Calleri were cheap 'punts'; calculated risks that have, in the whole, failed (or not met expectations, at least). Snodgrass is a proven Premier League player and, unfortanuely, they cost. Particularly at this time of year. £10m is steep, I admit, but do you pay £10m for a player that guarantee you three years of effective football, or risk £11m on someone like Lookman who may be the next Rashford or could equally be the next Pennant?

Snodgrass is more realistic than Sig or Peresic. I think we may have learnt from the summer that we're not ready for the Bacca's or Lacazette's of this world. Ultimately, it matters little how much he costs because it's not our money; my only concern is if this means no Hogan because I think our need for a striker is greater than our need for a winger, but hopefully we'll get them both.

For me, Fonte, Snodgrass and Hogan would represent good business (for the team, if not the bank balance), and I don't think it will affect our budget in the summer. A first team 18 of the below is certainly capable of challenging for top 7, IMO:

Randy
    Byram Reid Fonte Cresswell
    Noble Obiang
    Antonio Lanzini Snodgrass
    Carroll

Adrian, Collins, Kouyate, Fernandes, Nordtveit, Ayew, Hogan
  • edited January 2017
    OCS, well said ;clap
  • Snodgrass may not be the most exciting player you could think of, but bottom line is he has consistently shown he can do it in this league.

If you want players to come in and hit the ground running right away without having to adapt (which is important if you are signing a player in Jan), who better than Snodgrass and Fonte? Well done to the Board, I say

Now if Defoe happened to arrive (unlikely I know) it would cap it off nicely.

I don't believe we need a right back just yet. We have two already. Byram will be fine now he has someone like Fonte alongside him

• Screenshot_2017-01-26-08-10-05_1

Jack the Lad up to his old tricks again. Hinting at Snodgrass, presumably ;hmm
  • OCS totally agree

My logic for not really wanting snodgrass is that it isn't really a key signing

Antonio is currently playing as a forward but he's probably better on the wings, and atm we had Lanzini and Feghouli there who you'd be surprised if Snodgrass replaces either

I feel the hold up on Hogan means we have just about enough funds to pull that deal off (so we have only £10mil left), and I think Hogan is the player we need not Snodgrass

Have to question where Ayew fits into all of this as he's been pretty underwhelming since joining, but then again we seem to be lining up 4-4-2 now so maybe he plays alongside andy where he may flourish

Gives us lots of options for our midfield but is he a "upgrade"? Only time will tell

Either way the board brought from abroad in the summer and got ridiculed so doesn't come as a shock gping after these types of players

Randy
    Byram Reid Fonte Cressy
    Obiang Kouyate
    Antonio Lanzini Snodgrass
    Carroll

Best XI?
  • edited January 2017
    OCS said
    Ultimately, it matters little how much he costs because it's not our money
    I have heard this said a few times but the sum of money we have to spend on players is finite and 10m spent on player A is 10m not available for player B. I know there is an argument that player A pushes us up the ranks and we get more prize money (investment for growth) so it is not a zero sum game but I suspect that the "growth" effect is marginal.
    Anyway, cards on table, I don't want Snodgrass ;wink
  • Baracks, I can`t think who our other right back is?? I thought Arbeloa (sp?) was off. Byram as well is very new to the premier league and still unproven (although I do agree I think he will be fine). We have played most of last season and most of this season without a proper right back and it has definitely cost us. Teams have attacked us down that flank. The whole shape and balance of the side has been affected for the want of a decent right back, hopefully Byram will stay fit and not be suspended, but I can`t think who would cover him if the worse happens?
  • Does anyone know how much each position up the table nets you at the end of the season?

Also find it strange that the week or 2 after its revealed we are in the top 20 for income across Europe we are still struggling for money.....maybe the Daves really have brought us as far as they can....
  • I know people mock FFP, but that is a significant reason we can't bring more in despite being "rich". I think the Dave's can bring us further still, but the next step is the one that will take longer
  • edited January 2017
    WHU although 'in the top 20' sounds great, look at the actual figures, then compare our buying power to the other PL clubs. It gives a better perspective.

We are at 18th on E192.3m

Next club - Spurs with E279.7m.

(The E is Euros, can't find the proper symbol)
    deloitte

Also, and probably the key issue, it is only revenue. Not 'net profit'. ;ok

Full report here https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/sports-business-group/articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

West Ham has a specific pg (pg 37) with a breakdown of where he revenue s generated (matchday income, TV money etc)

• Snodgrass could be instead of Tore who we had on a try before you buy option. He second only to Alli for goals scored for a midfielder this season. I think he is a decent signing can go straight into the team I wonder if we will see Antonio supporting AC a bit further up the pitch ;hmm He give us more options we can only be a good thing
  • Does anyone know how much each position up the table nets you at the end of the season?

Also find it strange that the week or 2 after its revealed we are in the top 20 for income across Europe we are still struggling for money.....maybe the Daves really have brought us as far as they can....

£2m for 20th place then additional £2m per position so the champions get £40m.
  • edited January 2017
    Another bit, showing that 60% of our revenue is from TV, with (roughly) 20% each coming from commercial and matchday income.

revenue
  • Apparently our Snodgrass bid is higher than the £10m that Burnley offered, according to the BBC.
  • Not quite sure I see the logic there ;hmm Unless Boro bid more than £10m and we had to match that
  • The BBC article says that it is believed to be £10m but also higher than Burnley's.

Maybe they offered £9.95m and we offered £10.01m?
  • In todays market that's a good deal imo , looking at the player and his form this season it would be a good signing for the squad .
  • Not knocking the Daves I'm a big supporter of them and feel they really are investing what they have but long term not sure how far they can take us

Also thanks for the financial figures ngl don't know the full so it's nice to see it broken down a bit

The top 6 are by far and away bigger but I would love to see a comparison of the "middle group"

That's who we are competing with, the Everton, Southampton, Stoke, Leicesters etc

We need to surpass those clubs to attack the top 6 long teams nd hopefully the stadium will allow this

If Bilic thinks that Snodgrass is worth £10mil and Hogan isn't then who am I to judge, if he's not going to play Hogan and will snodgrass the move makes sense

Also worth noting that Hogan has only 18 months left on his contract, maybe the Daves think they can get him for cheaper in the summer
  • edited January 2017
    This is the world where £15m gets you Jordan Ibe and £30m Bolasie.

The fee is fine. Just whether he'll be a good addition or not.
  • I don't understand people who think Snodgrass wouldn't start ahead of Feghouli, can one of those posters please explain that opinion? I am genuinely interested as for me it's no contest. Snodgrass has proven he can play in the league for 2 clubs and is having a particularly strong season. Feghouli has potential and is improving but hasn't proved it and isn't having a good season.
  • Eski ;ok

And is possibly off to Roma.
  • Good point Lukerz, had forgotten that could still be on, if Snodgrass signs it probably will be.
This discussion has been closed.