January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Sky sources expect Scott Hogan’s move from Brentford to West Ham to go through this week.

Sources close to the striker believe the deal is being affected by Dimitri Payet’s future, but are still confident Hogan will move within 48 hours.

Hogan, 24, was left out of the Brentford side that lost at Wigan yesterday. He has scored 14 goals in the Championship this season.
  • If he is coming he needs come quick as Andy Carroll is reported to be 2 inchs shorter than before Christmas due to the weight on his shoulders at present!
  • edited January 2017
    Hamstew said:

AThumbCut_150603-065951

I've been in USA for 10 years. Is this really what Bruce Forsyth looks like now ;hmm
  • I had high hopes in the summer. I maybe naively thought we had a good chance to get Bacca, Lacca or Batta but it seems we are too small fry currently. I must also admit once none of them showed interest I wanted us to get Benteke, and was annoyed that CP beat us to the punch. How wrong was I, he was awful against us last week, the antithesis of Carroll.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Antonio's efforts up top, he has many top attributes but he is not a natural finisher. I've read some good reports about Hogan; clinical in front of goal, two-footed, excellent positioning and finding the space between the centre backs, decent with the ball at feet. Lets hope (if we do get him) this proves correct and he is a success. Also at 24 he is a good age for further progression.

I am all for us being the team that brings the crop from the championship. Our acquisitions of Cresswell, Antonio and seemingly Byram have all been excellent purchases and are all quality first-teamers. They all seem to have that inner drive and desire that's possibly resultant from coming from the lower leagues and having to 'prove' oneself. Bring him in Dave!
  • Long story short he's the type of striker we need

As you mentioned Florin atm we aren't big enough to buy the likes of your Baccas or Lacazettes so we have to settle for players with slightly less of a reputation

Hogan is a poacher plain and simple, he plays within the 18 yard box and takes his chances

We already have the perfect target man in Carroll and both Sakho and Fletcher are also big strong lads who work terrifically hard and stretch the defence but none of them play like Hogan

While he is expensive there isn't much alternative

1.) We can buy from a foreign leagues but like the summer window and they make take a while to ad pat or not adapt at all (see Zaza.....)

2. ) We can buy from the premier league but teams at the bottom will charge a bomb or flat out not sell or teams at the top they may not care since they've had their big money moves (see Benteke now to his Villa days)

3.) Buy from the championship, lots of good young English player who want to prove themselves and will give 100%

This lad will give 100% every game and Brentford fans rate him higher than Andre Gray who's managed to score goals in the EPL

Hope we can complete the deal soon, look forward to him and Carroll upfront

• Snodgrass to Palace, £11m is the latest rumour
  • edited January 2017
    Champo we don't really have Sahko though do we, he's played one game all season so how can Bilic form a plan that involves him. And we hash anynclub been able to keep AC fit for a season?
  • I think the board have to get shot of Sakho or Carroll we just cannot afford to have 2 injury prone players in the striker position. They have to bring in another striker or two if Fletcher / Martinez are not ready. (I still don't consider Ayew as a striker he wasn't at Swansea and is a player who plays behind the striker)
  • edited January 2017
    Suze - AC didn't miss a single match through injury 2011-12, the season before he came to us on loan from Liverpool, 47 games although only 29 starts but then they had Suarez in the team and were playing a lone striker.

Yeold - we tried to get rid of Sakho in the summer, WBA turned him down.

Ayew scored 6 of his 12 goals playing as a centre forward at Swansea last season woth Sigurdsson tucked in behind him.
  • I knew as soon as I typed that one of you would post the answer ;lol

Still that is five years ago.
  • A C was excellent against Borough, but we do need to have a strong back up
    if, or more likely when, A C gets another injury.
  • edited January 2017
    Yep Sat was a key example.

Had he pulled up with the score at 1-1, with Calleri or Fletcher deputising, I'd put good money on us not taking all three points.

Luckily we were 2-1 up and could sit back and defend the lead.

We need another threat, badly.
  • edited January 2017
    Anyone whose last decent run without injury was in 2011 has to be classified as injury prone IMO.

AC is magnificent when fit any playing - he rarely has a bad game

However, the guy tweaks something or other even in the process of scoring goals.

So another top level striker is mandatory.

As for Sakho, as well as being injury prone himself, probably wants to leave it seems.

Calleri is not the answer. Great he scored on Saturday, however I think if we sign Hogan he'll be gone.
  • With the Zaza funds going on J23F and possibly Hogan.

#transferwindowdone

Or a cheeky loan and token freebie still to come

;hmm
  • #bogof ;wink
  • edited January 2017

Anyone whose last decent run without injury was in 2011 has to be classified as injury prone IMO.

AC is magnificent when fit any playing - he rarely has a bad game

However, the guy tweaks something or other even in the process of scoring goals.

So another top level striker is mandatory.

As for Sakho, as well as being injury prone himself, probably wants to leave it seems.

Calleri is not the answer. Great he scored on Saturday, however I think if we sign Hogan he'll be gone.

Hogan was out injured from 11 March 2014 until 5 April 2014 and then again from 21 April 2014, he made two brief appearances off the bench in August 2014 and then was off until 19 March 2016.

In 2014-15 and 2015-16 he played a total of 9 times for a total of 205 minutes

With our record he'll probably fall down the big gap between the top and bottom tiers while having his photo taken with a West Ham shirt......
  • Is Hogan confirmed ?
  • Not yet
    But
    What Does Big Oli say?
  • Aslef

I've just been into the font of knowledge that is wiki and yes hogans injury seems to have been an anterior cruciate ligament and he had to have his knee reconstructed??

Wow

;hmm
  • Not yet
    But
    What Does Big Oli say?

Probably something about a Portuguese youngster
  • tbf to Big Oli, Fonte was a youngster when he first called it
  • Not yet
    But
    What Does Big Oli say?

He already came through on that one Domingos Quina
  • Speaking of Big Oli though he did update me whilst out in Germany that Stoke have an ambitious signing in the pipeline similar to when they got Imbula last year so expect a potential interesting Stoke deal towards the end of the window.
  • Not yet
    But
    What Does Big Oli say?

Pretty sure Quina was about 4 when Big Oli made that call...
  • Aslef

I've just been into the font of knowledge that is wiki and yes hogans injury seems to have been an anterior cruciate ligament and he had to have his knee reconstructed??

Wow

;hmm

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him
  • Not yet
    But
    What Does Big Oli say?

Pretty sure Quina was about 4 when Big Oli made that call...
    Still called it !
This discussion has been closed.