The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• I`m not religious, but I love old churches and cathedrals, very peaceful and atmospheric, wherever we go on holiday, home or abroad, I love a mooch. The thing that has struck me about Notre Dame is the appeal fund. Grenfell burns to the ground, £20 million (ish), an old building burns to the ground £1 billion (ish). In two days. I find it staggering. Not making a point as such, I was just staggered by the amount raised. :nonono:
  • I suppose many see Notre Dame as a national treasure?
  • Notre Dame is generally regarded by the French as a symbol of their country, something to be proud of, something cherished, something unique. In a word that is horrifically overused these days, iconic.

Grenfell on the other hand represented something unpleasant about our country. something to be ashamed of, something people didn't want to think about - although not helped by the media depicting all council tenants as "scroungers" and "immigrants".
  • From what I saw the other day, three French based family companies had put up £500m between them.

It is a huge sum, but from a relatively small group.
  • Yes, French corporations have been generous in donations. My own employer has donated £100m euro. But Paris is where our headquarters are, and the company are proud of their heritage and part of French and Parisian culture.
  • And of course it is tax deductible :whistle:
  • Marlon seems to be doing all right for himself after football:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47982646
  • Cars. :puzzled:

I just don't get it. Never have.

Mate, it's a car. It has wheels. You use it to get to places.

:tumbleweed:

• What,s there not to get ;)
  • West Ham fail to get time of Southampton game changed so fans could get to watch women’s fa cup final .
  • And they say they take the women game seriously. :doh:
  • The DFL have moved Eintracht's match back a day to give them more time to recover from playing Chelsea & the whole of one set of matches have been postponed in Holland to help Ajax!
  • I dont agree with shifting games to assist in Europe except where maybe a Monday night game is involved.
  • edited April 2019
    IronHerb said:

I dont agree with shifting games to assist in Europe except where maybe a Monday night game is involved.

I agree, although the explanation I saw about the Eredivisie made t clear it was for fairness in their own league, rather then for Ajax's benefit in Europe... I'll see if I can find a link to post.

(Despite every single outlet in the UK that I have seen having headlines that say it is 'to help Ajax in the CL' - and implying that it's a bit cheaty.)
  • It may well be to aid Ajax but they moved the entire schedule to keep it fair to all in the league.
  • edited April 2019
    Not quite.

How's your Dutch? :wink: https://www.knvb.nl/nieuws/betaald-voetbal/eredivisie/55147/wijzigingen-speeldata-onvermijdelijk

Basically, Ajax are in the Dutch cup final and the CL semi. They are also challenging for the league title.

So they have to reschedule matches, but also their league rules are that players have to have 2 days rest between matches. So the days they can move games to are limited, and they also have a rule (?convention) that the last 2 match days of the season, all matches KO at the same time. To complicate things, their game to be rescheduled is against a relegation candidate.

If they just postponed the 1 Ajax game that has to be moved because of the CL, it 'would mean that only this match will be played after 12 May... Ajax plays for the championship and De Graafschap is in the danger zone for relegation ... this also gives De Graafschap more time to prepare for this perhaps decisive game than the other relegation candidates' and also to know the outcome of the other matches before they themselves play. (thanks, Google translate :ok: )
  • You would have thought the womens cup final would have been scheduled for a day when there were no PL or few fixtures in the first place or make it an 7pm kick off
  • Sadly it seems that despite all the statements from the FA about women's football they do not regard it as particularly important.

To get biblical "Ye shall know them by their fruits" Matthew 7:16

• Odd though how they don’t care about fans having already bought tickets and arranged travel when they move kick off time's for TV companies :hmm:
  • West Ham have asked to show the game live on the big screens.
  • West Ham have asked to show the game live on the big screens.

Its on BBC1

• Yes, but I don’t think you can just tune the big screens to BBC1.
  • You could if you have a big remote.
  • Off to my first classroom week of my health & safety degree course. I’ve been studying since Christmas but still don’t feel prepared.

Hopefully there is a Spurs fan in the room. :biggrin:
  • Good luck, suz. I have every confidence in you. :thumbsup:
  • Off to my first classroom week of my health & safety degree course. I’ve been studying since Christmas but still don’t feel prepared.

Hopefully there is a Spurs fan in the room. :biggrin:

Hopefully it's not the teacher.
  • The womens cup final is £7.50 for an adult. The adult can take 4 children for free. £7.50 for 5 seats! My mate just paid £118 for one seat to watch city in the men's final!
This discussion has been closed.