Declan Rice

There is more talk of Rice signing a new contract now the window has closed. This was very predictable as he will not want go another season on the relatively small salary he earns, but as his aim is clearly only to secure better wages and still wants to leave next summer it seems likely to be a difficult one to negotiate,

He will want to sign but with a release clause and we will only allow that if the release clause it to our liking, any idea of a 70m release clause I imagine would be rejected immediately. Were I the club I would be looking for a 120m clause and nothing less than 100m, as otherwise you are just paying him an extra 80k to 100k per week more for him to go at the end of the season anyhow.

Comments

• I did read the club wanted to add a £120m release clause, but Rice's agent isn't keen.

I think unless we somehow manage to get top four, Rice will be gone by this time next year. He's already a PL captain and England regular 22 and is only going to get better.

I do wonder if that's what we decided to bring in Kral. Yes, he'll be useful in the short term, but could ultimately be Rice's replacement, and someone that might keep Soucek happy at the club, too.
  • A release clause is fair. I think the club are in a strong negotiating position as they hold the option of that extra year. Rice & his camp will know he could be here for another 4 years (including this one).

I think he’ll sign a new deal with a release clause of £90m included. He gets a pay rise, we retain a chance of keeping him if nobody pays that fee &, if they do, we get good money.
  • We can go for a higher release clause; we can let him go for less if it really came to it, but (and I'm sure he'll appreciate this) an extra £20m will mean a whole lot more to us than it will to Chelsea or Man City. A minimum of £100m release, although preferably £120m; he's still only 22.
  • If the club opens the bidding at 120, and his agent counters with 70, they'll meet somewhere in the middle I think.
  • Maybe we should start the bidding at 130 then so we can meet at 100… hmmerz

I think we’ll have a release clause of around £80m, which is good business for a DM, but not great business for a box to box midfield general. I think a lot of people view him as a straight DM, whereas most of us think of him as an all rounder.
  • Release clause and extension works for all parties

Rice deserves more than he is currently getting, he's our captain and star player plus he s a fully fledged England International, he should be among the top earners

And a release clause defends us, you activate it you get him but if you don't then he's got the new bumper payday and the release clause he accepted so he stays

I'd say around the £80mil marks I'd be happy, holding midfielder prices have definitely gone up but it's not as much as the glory positions as strikers, winger and centre backs

£80mil would make him tied with Frenkie De Jong (a truely world class CM) as the most expensive holding mid of all time

• they want the clause so it can trigger in Jan no doubt, I would wait to feb to offer a new deal
  • I think the club would have the clause going live from summer. Like how Haaland has that £75m clause that only goes live never summer.
  • He’s not gone yet.
    I’m hoping he stays and helps build his own future.

My middle name could be changed to naive.
  • With Declan I think a lot will depend on how we do this year. If we have a similar ( or better) season to last year and maybe a good cup/ European run who knows, he may well decide to stay and become a fully fledged hammers legend. The boy seems to love the club, so you never know.
  • Any release clause is affectively negotiating the price we get next summer, as long as he continues in the same form at present, which is actually just getting better and better. At his age 100m minimum in my view.
  • On another note I hope Southgate will rest him tomorrow as he will not need a full strength side and will probably play him against Poland.
  • All most people on talk about, on here’s!
    When is he leaving or getting sold etc,
    I wish the mods remove all remarks till prove , I find it offensive
  • edited September 2021
    imagelost said:

All most people on talk about, on here’s!

I just find it mind numbingly boring that some never heard of supposed pundit, or ex players like abgonlegar or whatever his name is, absolutely no connection with the mighty Hammers, crops up almost daily delivering a diatribe on why Declan should leave. Do they have a better crystal ball than I have and know for a fact we'll crash this year.

Just wish that the media would totally bog off (Obviously with the exception of our Outcast =) )
  • imagelost said:

All most people on talk about, on here’s!

Sorry, but I think people are just being realistic. Rice is a quality player who is only 22 and is getting better and better. As much as I would love him to stay, unfortunately in this day and age very few star players resist the offers to move to clubs where they're much more likely to win League or Cup medals than if they stay at smaller clubs. It's true that we seem to be on an upward curve, but we're a very long way away from competing for the Title which he could be doing every season with a move.

I think we're lucky he's still here; without Covid, and with a more active transfer window I feel there was definitely a chance he would have gone this summer, but I think it's very likely he'll go next summer when the finances of most clubs will have recovered a little and we're more likely to get a fairer valuation for him.
  • The big clubs certainly had the money to spend this window but I think decided to spend elsewhere as it was clear the contract situation meant they were not going to get a bargain at around 65-75m in this window.

City chose to go to £100m for Greilish and in fairness probably din't need Rice quite as much as their Manchester rivals.

Chelsea spent 98m on Luakaku and despite all the nonsense about his mates at Chelsea they probably don't need him whilst Kante is there.

United spent on Sancho but in my view should have gone to 100m for Rice to properly test us. I think they needed him most and he would have bridged the gap between them and the two sides mentioned above and made them genuine trophy contenders.

I think the European hierarchy is changing with the decline of Barcelona and to a lesser extent Madrid and I feel City and Chelsea will be dominant on the pitch with PSG and United the only club able to challenge them in the transfer market. I don't think Rice would ever go to PSG as I think he enjoys the English banter and wants that around him, leaving the three English clubs the only possible destinations.

My view is he will sign a contract with a £100m clause or he won't and he will leave anyhow next summer for around 80m. Either way I think he leaves but we try and give him £5m in extra wages this year to get an extra 20m in the transfer fee.
  • I don't think Rice would ever go to PSG as I think he enjoys the English banter and wants that around him, leaving the three English clubs the only possible destinations.

I think the banter at City, Manure, and the Chavs is probably not in English. =)
  • edited September 2021
    I think Rice has decided he would like to move on when appropriate. This is not a Noble situation. I don’t think there is any outcome where he stays here & becomes a one club legend. The question is when do we cash out & that will be for Moyes to decide. He will have up to 3 years on his deal next summer, after that it becomes under 2 years even if we extend his deal (you never know, he may have a say in that extension, depends on the contract terms). So we can be pretty sure that short of us winning the PL, he doesn’t sign a new deal & leaves next summer as after that his value plummets.

A release clause doesn’t help Declan. He knows the club will be forced to sell next summer & a release clause could only make that more difficult. At the moment, there is no fixed price so clubs won’t be put off. The only situation where he may sign a new deal is if the release clause is low (£60m-£70m).
  • He'll leave at some point as he is fast becoming world class. I just hope City come in for him rather than Chelsea or Man U
  • edited September 2021
    I want him to go and play for Bayern Munich or someone like that, if he must leave
  • alderz said:

I want him to go and play for Bayern Munich or someone like that, if he must leave

Yes that would be the best scenario.
  • Id like him to go to... Actually, never mind :)
  • Baz, Their fans and local press don't believe he is better then the great "Hendo"!
  • Tbf Henderson is quality and has had a stellar career. I don’t think he’s better than Rice anymore, but Henderson at his best was probably better than Rice is currently (Rice’s peak will probably be beyond Henderson’s).
  • edited September 2021
    I've never rated Henderson that much and think Rice has so much more to his game plus will IMO only get better. All that said, I have no idea why Liverpool or Henderson suddenly came up ;) I do like Fabinho though...
  • I hate to say it but out of the top clubs, its Man Utd that are most in need of his services

#bye Fred
  • Lukerz said:

A release clause doesn’t help Declan. He knows the club will be forced to sell next summer & a release clause could only make that more difficult. At the moment, there is no fixed price so clubs won’t be put off. The only situation where he may sign a new deal is if the release clause is low (£60m-£70m).

But it's not just about Declan there, is it? If he won't sign then he won't get a payrise. It's as easy as that. He still has another 3 years on his contract and if the club play hardball he won't go unless the club's valuation is met. A release clause, even if it is 120m means that we will let him go if it is met.

• Frankly I’m not too bothered. He wants to leave and has no loyalty to us whatsoever.
  • Well Declan never got a run out this evening, but that fella Lingard looks handy.