Declan Rice

Comments

• Rice will be at Man Utd by this time next year, I am convinced of it. If he is, I hope we get £100m or more, and our owners reinvest this in our club.
  • I love all the mind readers on here who know what Rice is thinking and feeling
  • Imo I dont feel like player should owe club some loyalty although although doesn't mean they aren't loyal

They are professional athletes and like any job I don't blame them for moving for better money or a better company, no different to anyone else

If Rice leaves, I don't think he's disrespecting us nor do I think he owes us any explanation, ots clear as day he's world class and clear as day he should retire with silverware form club and personal awards and a TON of money
  • Declan ,Just dont put on a Man U or Chelsea shirt before you leave us =)
  • steve said:

Declan ,Just dont put on a Man U or Chelsea shirt before you leave us =)

And if you do don't try to blame your agent
  • WHU the difference between them and a normal contract is that a normal job contract has a notice period on both sides usually one or three months. A footballer signs a contract for x number of years and effectively that is the notice period. Trouble is they hold all the power and clubs are too scared to say you stay until the end of the contract or until we mutually agree otherwise.
  • WHU the difference between them and a normal contract is that a normal job contract has a notice period on both sides usually one or three months. A footballer signs a contract for x number of years and effectively that is the notice period. Trouble is they hold all the power and clubs are too scared to say you stay until the end of the contract or until we mutually agree otherwise.

But that's what the transfer fee is, its compensation for the company to release its employee before the end of their contract

If he refused to play while under contract then I'd understand but if the two club (employers) come to an understanding then he's essentially freed from that contract and can get a new one elsewhere

And if the club decide they want to keep him then they can do that but they know they'd likely be missing out on a huge package for someone who likely already has eyes for a different job

Loyalty is great but if someone offered me twice my salary and better career prospects (without changing my career profession) then I'm about 99% sure that I would take it even though I love my current job

As long as he doesn't down tools (or join the Spuds) I wouldn't hold anything against Rice if he moves next summer
  • So far Declan has been foot perfect. Nothing wrong with seeing your future elsewhere but always be sure to be clear you will give everything whilst still here and show that to be so in your performance. He is the type of player that I don't think could only give 80% as I think he loves playing football and winning too much. I recall watching Arnie when he wanted to leave and he looked like he was playing a pre season friendly most days.
  • Rice wants to play at the highest level possible which means champions league football and title challenging teams . A footballers career is 15 years if they are lucky so wanting to win things and be the best you can be is a plus for me. He will outgrow West Ham as many other players have before and as long as he gives he is all this season like he always does then I don’t see many fans begrudged him a move to greater things next summer as long as he does it without fuss like other players have in the past. He plays with a smile on his face ,he clearly has the desire to win and I will wish him all the best if he moves (unless it’s spurs )
  • I love all the mind readers on here who know what Rice is thinking and feeling

Crystal balls are reasonably cheap on eBay this week =)
  • I saw that coming......
  • Where is the fishslap when you need it most :awesome:
  • Rice wants to play at the highest level possible which means champions league football and title challenging teams . A footballers career is 15 years if they are lucky so wanting to win things and be the best you can be is a plus for me. He will outgrow West Ham as many other players have before and as long as he gives he is all this season like he always does then I don’t see many fans begrudged him a move to greater things next summer as long as he does it without fuss like other players have in the past. He plays with a smile on his face ,he clearly has the desire to win and I will wish him all the best if he moves (unless it’s spurs )

Wasnt the whole point that he wants to win things? So Spurs are out!

#No Kane do
  • I hope Rice will sign a contract, should he not I hope he will stay one more year. However if he goes I wonder if Conner Gallagher may form part of the deal? possibly coming to us or at least coming for a year long loan next season?

I doubt he would be a regular starter at Chelsea next season and he is clearly thriving due to regular first team action, maybe a years loan will sweeten the deal and allow his development.

One thing is for sure 100m is a bargain for Rice. In my view were he to go to City or Liverpool he allows them to be the dominant of the three current big three, if he goes to Chelsea he allows them to retain the ability to challenge the other two equally, without which I think Chelsea will drop off City and Liverpool.
  • I believe Rice will and up at Man Utd. Hope not, but can see it.
  • City I reckon.

I think he's nailed on as Fernandinho's replacement.

He looked very frustrated last night. It must be difficult regularly dropping 8/10 performances knowing your team-mates can't match it.

January will be big for this club. Rice will want EL as a minimum if he's to stay for another season, but with form and fitness issues across the squad, we need more players.
  • Rice will leave at the end of this season whatever happens. Even if we qualify for CL, he will leave. He's too good.

I seem to remember Champions League didn't keep Kante at Leicester.
  • Rice will leave at the end of this season whatever happens. Even if we qualify for CL, he will leave. He's too good.

I seem to remember Champions League didn't keep Kante at Leicester.

I think the difference is that Rice genuinely loves the club. He has a bond with West Ham that I don't think Kante had with Leicester.

So I think West Ham in the CL will see Rice stay for another season. West Ham in the EL may see him stay if the club can demonstrate it's moving towards regular European football. If we finish in the Conference League or nothing at all, he's gone.

Which is why I think January is important. It's an opportunity to show just how serious we are about pushing on. If we have a poor window, it may push Rice towards leaving.
  • I think Rice appreciates what the club have done for him but he was born in West London and supported Chelsea, so it won't be enough to keep him.

He is too good for our level. He will be even if we make some good signings in January.
  • edited December 2021
    As far as his international career is concerned, playing for West Ham is proving not to be a hinderance, so that isn't a concern for him. What he wants is to be playing CL football. If, and it's a huge if, he can do that with West Ham next season, then I'm pretty confident he'll stay to captain us through that campaign.

I agree he's too good for our level as it is. But if we were to make 'next level' signings - and I think he saw Lingard as just that - then who knows? Zouma was a good start in the summer, but we need more quality to bring the club's level up to that of Rice.

It won't be easy, but if were to get Lingard, Ake and, let's say, Origi mext month, it's a sign that we're continuing to move in the right direction.

If we settle for other players that we've been linked with, notably Tarkowski and Mitrovic, then our ambition is clearly not the same as Dec's and we have no chance of keeping him beyond the summer.
  • I still don't agree. Having one flash in the pan season in the CL alongside Lingard, Ake and Origi, or play to win the CL and PL alongside Rodri, de Bruyne and Sterling? Or Kante, Mount and Lukaku?

If he were Noble, East End born and bred, maybe.

I honestly believe there's nothing we can do to keep him. We will never be at Man City or Chelsea level without their owners, and even then it will take ten years.
  • I think if we got CL he would stay for the experience of playing it with us and maybe to help us with it. He has plenty of time to go elsewhere and have a long career and could go to a regular CL club the next year.
  • He'd have the experience of playing in it, though, but elsewhere, in a better team, who would likely be in with a chance of winning it. And other trophies, too.

In any case, we aren't going to qualify for the CL.
  • I mean specifically with us. He would’ve finally got there with us after so many years, so why rush to somewhere else when he’s still got around a decade to play at a regular CL club? I think he would play that one season with us then move to a City or Man U the next season.

Man U are apparently looking at Kamara from Marseille who will be much cheaper and is really good so maybe that will help us. If not, then we should look at Kamara as the replacement.
  • Please don't cast me as negative, as I'm well pleased how we've progressed over the last 18 months but I can't see us finishing top 4 and couldn't even before our current minor blip
  • No, top four is out of reach, unless we have a remarkable transfer window and better luck with injuries.

But there is an opportunity via the EL. Will be difficult, obviously, but on our day we're capable of beating the best, as the Liverpool and Chelsea games have shown.
  • I'm not being negative either, just realistic. If, for example, we qualified ahead of Man Utd I'd be both shocked and over the moon. The new investor would have to input a hell of a lot of money into the squad over several windows for us to have a squad that could compete for that 4th position. Even that doesnt guarantee success, just potentially a squad of both quality and depth that may be able to if the right ingredients were added and kept (from the positives we already have seen over 18 months)
  • Why is the top four out of reach?
    Ok we’ve hit a rough patch with a car crash of injuries and some of the lads not performing to earlier levels, but to write us of for the top four is a bit strong when there’s still half a season to go.
  • Rice isn't staying even if we get top 4 which I don't think we will

Hes a level above us and its pretty clear to see

Yes we can give him a pay rise but he probably starts in any team in the world right now, he is going to want to end his career with titles and I don't mean Carabao Cup, he wants the Prem or the champions league