England Vs Ukraine

New post for the Quarter Final

I imagine Southgate will stick to what worked against Germany, and in a way who could he feasibly drop after such a victory? My own view is we could do with greater creativity and so I would start with Grielish.

In theory this match is much easier and one of their best players in Yarmalenko can't even get a match at West Ham, but when you get this close in a tournament we know fighting spirit can go a long way. We will need approach it as though it were a final against Germany.

Comments

• nailed on Yarmo will get the winner
  • Or Yarmo and Rice injure each other...
  • Maybe Southgate will revert to four at the back, and bring in one more baller. No reason why he can't keep them all fresh by using them as subs. My guess is Pickford Trippier Stones Maguire Shaw (sub Chilwell); Sakho Rice Phillips Mount (subs Henderson Foden Borussia Dortmund lad); Grealish Kane Sterling (subs Rashford Sancho)
  • I watched the Ukraine/Sweden game and didn't see anything from either team that should worry England too much. Complacency will be their biggest threat.

Ukraine's best players (Yarmolenko and Zinchenko) are average PL players, so across the pitch England should be better. Hopefully Kane and Sterling will have more confidence going into this one, too.

I'm going for another 2-0 win.
  • Think Zinchenko is a top player to be fair

But I don't think there is too much to worry

Got to get Grealish in, likely for Saka

Also I know he's dangerous from set prices but would much rather have someone other than Trippier at RWB, just don't think he offers enough from open play for me
  • Maybe Southgate will revert to four at the back, and bring in one more baller. No reason why he can't keep them all fresh by using them as subs. My guess is Pickford Trippier Stones Maguire Shaw (sub Chilwell); Sakho Rice Phillips Mount (subs Henderson Foden Borussia Dortmund lad); Grealish Kane Sterling (subs Rashford Sancho)

I make that a 4-4-3, not sure we're allowed 12 players on the pitch at a time, but it would be nice 😊
  • In the group stage Ukraine played a 4-3-3 with Yaramlenko, Yaremchuk and Malinovskiy up front. Last night they dropped Malinovskiy to the bench and played a 3-5-2

Hmmmmm
  • I don't see Southgate changing his tactics which seem to be to set up very defensively by including booth Rice and Phillips in front of an already solid defence. He then hopes to nick a goal. If the goal has not come after 60 Minutes he introduces more creativity in Grielish. It remains to be seen if we can recover from being behind and I suspect if that were the case we would see the real attackers on the pitch.

It's dull and uninspiring but has so far been effective so I don't think he will change it.
  • I would take 3 more games of the same if it means we actually win a trophy
  • No one would argue about that after so many years of hurt.... how many is it again?
  • Everyone knows you must have a West Ham player in the team to win something. Well, now we have one! ( I know,I know we've had some in the past, Rice will make the difference )
  • But the Czechs have two !!!!!!
  • Would he drop one of Rice or Phillips as both on a yellow card. One more and I guess they miss the Semi-Final should we get through.
  • edited June 2021
    Do you know if the slate would be clean for the Semi's?

Aside from actually getting another yellow the threat of one could alter their game as no one wants to lose a place in a team for a semi Final.
  • Yellows are wiped out after the quarters.
  • I would drop Kane for Anyone and that’s it
  • He has been taken out of the game in each match and added nothing. His goal allowed many to overlook another poor performance in the Germany match, but it was a goal he got when Germany were having to commit forward in search of the equaliser. We should be able to carry him against Ukraine and hopefully Stirling will get another but going solely on his performances so far rather than his reputation and Premiership record we could not start him against Belgium, Italy or Spain.

It is possible as some mention that now he has a goal he may begin to grow in confidence but that shouldn't really apply for a player of his experience. In my view there are players in that squad who deserve a shot and must wonder what Kane has to do to get dropped.

Southgate seems to have an awful lot of faith in him at present as he has even made him Captain when he isn't even Captain of Spurs and What Harry McGuire must think of that I have no idea, a far more obvious Captain. Maybe it's sympathy as he knows if we do win a trophy he wants Harry to feel what lifting one is like after all this time.
  • Perhaps when they have scored as many goals as Kane they can complain. He's not playing well but the witch hunt is ridiculous.
  • I don't think it's a witch hunt I think people are appreciating that tournaments come around every four years and take place over a few matches and so form is what matters and there is little denying Kane is not on top form. He can have scored as many goals as he has but it's this three week period that matters. I accept we have no love for him as a Spurs player so maybe we could be biased, but I am not finding anyone including, Spurs fans, who think he is earning his place with his performances. If I look at the rest of the players you can see that some have been good in one match and maybe less so in the next but Kane is the only one who has offered nothing in all matches.

Now there is the old saying that form is temporary and class is permanent, Harry Kane is now going to be the test of that, he is a class goal scorer and proved it over many seasons, but he is woefully out of form. He will no doubt get another shot at it against Ukraine so lets see if his class will come through?
  • I wouldn’t drop him, personally.
  • Ukraine switched to a 3-5-2 against Sweden, I reckon they'll stick with that so we don't need three at the back. Revert to 4-2-3-1, Grealish for Saka, drop Trippier and play Mount
  • edited July 2021
    2-1 Eng-er-land

Heskey brace
  • (for it to work you have to read it in a Scottish accent)

When you walk Emile in his shoes, then Heskeys the limit for you :)
  • Tickets for the match bought by England fans resident in the UK have been cancelled by UEFA. Travellers from the UK to Italy have to quarantine for 5 days and the Italian government were worried that some fans might ignore the requirement.

Fans living in Italy can still attend, those living in the rest of the EU have to provide evidence of a negative test in the previous 48 hours, a certificate of vaccination or proof of recovery from Covid
  • I alot my german colleagues at work got tickets to the England germany game as fans could not travel so as they were living here they all got tickets . Not that I have mentioned the game
  • The yellow cards situation makes me very nervous. I may need a hug, Mrs G....
  • I alot my german colleagues at work got tickets to the England germany game as fans could not travel so as they were living here they all got tickets . Not that I have mentioned the game

nor, hopefully, the war. =)
  • I've just realised that we've not lost a game since the team started "taking the knee" (San Marino 25 March 2021)

Don't mess with a streak, lads!
  • Rumblings that the team tonight will be:

Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Maguire - Shaw
    Rice - Phillips
    Sancho - Mount - Sterling
    Kane
  • When its 0-0 after 60 minutes it will be Sterling - Mount - Grealish