England Vs Ukraine

13»

Comments

• I don’t like to say I told you so, but………… =)
  • I think Mount and Walker are the only two I'm unsure about. Probably need to stick with Walker because of his pace but I'm not sure about Mount.
  • Slacker said:

I don’t like to say I told you so, but………… =)

Say what? When?
  • IronHerb said:

Slacker said:

I don’t like to say I told you so, but………… =)

Say what? When?
    I would say reaching a World Cup semi- final rates as a success.
    I really don’t get the anti stuff tbh. Yeah we were poor against Scotland and average against Croatia but we’re on 4 points and pretty much qualified.It’s a tournament that you can grow into and improve as you go along( hopefully) but to start having a pop at the manager after two games is a bit rich imo.

• I don’t think I’ve ever seen 3 headed goals in a game where no defender even attempted to get off the ground.
  • Least confident of this game out of all the games so far.
    There’s a real togetherness about the Danes.. now not saying England don’t have that.. But it feels a bit like the Scotland game.. they will be well up for this and we need to make sure we’re not complacent after the Ukraine game
  • Denmark have been very lucky to get this far IMO.
    Group stage: Lost 2 (Finland, Belgium) won 1 (Russia), through to next round with only 3 points.
    Last 16: beat Wales, probably the weakest team in the tournament.
    Q-finals: 1st goal scored from a wrongly awarded corner.

• I was disappointed to see Rice starting in his ultra- defensive role. After the second goal, he was allowed upfield, and it made a big difference. His shot was in the Lorimer/Charlton level of power.

Rice for England is like watching a Ferrari driven at 30mph
  • Rice has been the best DM in the tournament, started every game, his team haven’t conceded and are in the semi finals, and people aren’t happy with how he’s played?
  • He’s been brilliant. I think his role has restricted him but he’s done what’s asked. I think he’s more box to box than people think & that is ultimately the role he will play. I think he’s better for us.
  • I think it's been more than his role restricting him, I think he was a bit reserved himself or nervous about making a mistake. He constantly passed sideways and didn't step into space against Scotland. I'm not talking about driving up the field but taking a few steps that release pressure. Against Ukraine he did. Maybe Southgate changed his instructions but I'm not sure why he would instruct Rice to be more careful against Scotland than against Ukraine.

I think he's playing the same role he was given the whole tournament but did it so much better against Ukraine.
  • I don't see anyone disappointed with how he has played, although he never scores too high up on the BBC player rater, I think as West Ham fans we see every week he can be so much more than a safety first stopper. He may step up if allowed to move up the pitch a little should we ever fall behind in a match.