England Vs Ukraine

Comments

• I still think Saka starting and being replaced by Grealish when defenders are a bit more tired is an effective move and would like to see it. Saka might wasn’t as good as the Czech game but he was still positive and he’s a bit of a nuisance.
  • I think he has a knock
  • Wonder if he will leave out rice/Philips as they are on yellows
  • It's all about the team so yellows shouldn't come into it. If a situation arises where one needs to 'take one for the team' then so be it.
  • easy for you to say Herb,My sports teacher at school back in the day said there was an i in team ,Perhaps thats why we never won anything =)
  • edited July 2021
    That predicted line up looks pretty good to me. Grealish will come on at some point you would imagine , possibly Henderson to cover one of the yellow card lads
  • I think it may prove prudent to have either Rice or Phillips on the bench to see if we can cope as both on the pitch potentially picking up yellows is a big risk for a semi final if we get there. In theory we really don't need be as defensive minded against Ukraine who may be happy to park the bus and hope for penalties. We may need more attacking threat to unlock them.
  • I think you play your best team & you deal with any permutations for the semis should we get there. All this 'resting' players on yellows for a hypothetical situation. Don't get it.
  • I think it depends on the squad at your disposal and we have great squad depth. It has really brought home to me how much the bench allows you to change a match. Sadly it's only at international level you can achieve this as at club level that quality of player would never warm the bench.
  • But what is Englands best team?

We have a lot of good forward players (Foden and Grealish are amazing players who can unlock and Sancho isn't getting minutes).

If Ukraine do park the bus a bit, I'd like a 4-1-4-1 scenario... Something like Kane, Grealish Foden Mount Sancho (possibly Bellingham) ahead of Rice then James Maguire Stones Shaw Pickford as defence.

I'm controversially dropping Sterling purely because I dont think hes technically as good Grealish or Foden and he could do with a breather.

No, most of the above will not happen but its what I'd like :)

• IronHerb said:

It's all about the team so yellows shouldn't come into it. If a situation arises where one needs to 'take one for the team' then so be it.

Comms in the current game just said yellows are wiped out after the quarters.
  • But not if you have two.
  • I see Southgate has ignored my advice and picked 11 players, rather than 12. Southgate out! =)
  • When I played Football I was a "glass very much full" person and thought we could beat anyone. As a spectator I'm more "Glass half empty" and fear the worse. I feel quietly confident about a win tonight and that alone worries me....2-0.
  • Can someone tell Luke Shaw we're not playing rugby, he can pass it forwards.
  • edited July 2021
    Basically, if you go to ground in this game, you're getting a free kick.

The refs seemed to let a lot go in the group games, but it looks like they've reverted to blowing for everything.
  • It was almost a Rice Rice Baby moment there.
  • Not one for the neutrals, but we are controlling it well.

Referees in general have been very good in this tournament, better than the Premiership which I think have gone downhill.
  • Kane bought a free kick and nice header from great cross in
  • Rice hooked because he's England's main man in midfield and is being protected for the semi.

Love to see it.
  • Rice off so thats how important he is not risking him at 3-0
  • As I predicted earlier, Henderson on for one of the yellow card lads....and it's Rice. Southgate clearly thinks he's a player he daren't lose. Stand up for Declan, truely the main man for England
  • So Southgate rates Rice the more valuable then. 😇
  • Just waiting for IBL and his Kane scouting report now.
  • Kane was lucky.
  • Kane's going for the Golden Boot
  • Kane was a different player tonight. Did really well.

Sterling also came into the tournament in bad form but is getting better every game. Rice more confident and aggressive as well. Massive difference.
  • The term I would use is ruthlessly efficient which was the way the old Italian teams used to win and the German teams throughout modern football. There is no doubt we could really entertain with the squad we have but we are sticking to this disciplined efficiency and it is very effective.

We have the best group of players I can remember. Although we don't have the superstars I have seen such as Gazza, Gerrard or Rooney who were all rated 9 in my book, I have never seen a squad with so many 8 players throughout the whole squad. Grielish and Foden didn't even get to see the pitch tonight!

Harry Kane came good tonight, it's not that he had a great match but he did what he is supposed to tonight and if he does that it's all that matters. Sancho showed why he must start . It's hard to drop Stirling as his goals have seen us to this stage but I would love to see Grielish and Sancho playing together.
  • I was disappointed to see Rice starting in his ultra- defensive role. After the second goal, he was allowed upfield, and it made a big difference. His shot was in the Lorimer/Charlton level of power.
  • I thought he played in a more advanced role from the off. Good win and the team still improving. Bring on the Danes.