Wolves v West Ham - Monday April 5th 20.:00

Comments

• edited April 2021
    We don’t really know what playing without Rice looks like. I’ll wait until FT before claiming our top 5 push is over. Souček has been the main reason for Rice’s form this season. Rice played every game of last season in CM & we were in the bottom four for most of it.

A massive loss but possibly not one we can’t deal with.
  • i think Moyes will play Noble but would love to see a 4-1-4-1 with Fornals and Bowen hugging the wings and giving Benrahma a more central role with Lingard.
  • Yeah, we should just now let the side pick itself. Let’s just get an extra attacking in the side & go for it.

To be honest, if Moyes goes with Noble, let’s just leave him sitting in front of the back line & not move from that.
  • I'm like 99% sure Moyes will opt for Noble

As I said earlier in the thread, I do wonder if Moyes, for as great as he has bene, mentality isn't right for chasing the top 4, he's shown a bit too much fear recently in his team selection

Fornals in sure can do a better job there than Noble
  • I can’t agree that it’s soucek who is behind rices season at all they compliment each other and rice be a massive loss to us and England imo
  • Why hasn't Rice's injury been mentioned on the club page?
  • We will also see what the defence have got as it's clear any defence with Rice in front of them is going to have to deal with less than most other DM's.

I am not against seeing if Coufal could play alongside Soucek with Fredricks at right back as someone proposed earlier. I doubt that Moyes would go for that however. In many ways we are fortunate to have this match to try things before Chelsea. It's either Fornells, Noble or bigger gamble on Coufal. I think he will go with Noble.
  • Chelsea is three weeks away so we can try many things before that game.
  • Why the concern about the Chelsea game? Don't make sense.
  • Ironherb, I agree. I just want to win this evening and then I can start worrying about Leicester on Sunday & Newcastle the week after. The Chelsea match will not matter much if we don’t get several points from the next three games made even harder with today’s news.
  • I'm of course gutted about Rice's injury, but in all reality we have been lucky this season so far, so just one of those things.
    I'm not gonna bang on about our owners failed to do this or that, it is what it is...
    All I have to say is COYI tonight...whoever plays just give it your best...
    Once again COYI......
  • For me it’s moyes who needs to show it’s management skills by picking the right replacement and for me that’s not noble but I’d bet it will be
  • All this hue and cry about one player!!

You’ve got to move on - it happens to all teams - this can also be seen as an opportunity to try something different

What I am more concerned about is c&b sky failing to carry out the strict match thread rituals. Not that I’m massively superstitious, but I hope we are not punished by the footballing Gods...

• edited April 2021

What I am more concerned about is c&b sky failing to carry out the strict match thread rituals. Not that I’m massively superstitious, but I hope we are not punished by the footballing Gods...

I'm sure that IH could have mentioned it rather than attempting to become a glory hunter =)

And, of course, all is forgiven should we win and he starts the next match thread ...........
  • There’s extra pressure on IH that’s for sure. He is battling the Gods as well as Wolves. 😂😂
  • No Coventry in the squad. Because, you know, we're swamped for CMs.
  • Ex says Fornals and Masuaku back in squad. We'll see the team soon enough but I wonder if it's time to move to a back 5 again, now we have Masuaku. That formation is completely different when he's playing it so it might work. Having that constant threat from wide might take some pressure off the midfield.
  • Ex says Fornals and Masuaku back in squad. We'll see the team soon enough but I wonder if it's time to move to a back 5 again, now we have Masuaku. That formation is completely different when he's playing it so it might work. Having that constant threat from wide might take some pressure off the midfield.

No doubt that's what Moyes will do. Bit of a risk starting Masuaku after such a long lay off, but it is what it is.
  • I think Rice being out may suit Noble as he can play deeper and not have to track back if we lose possession.
  • edited April 2021
    So it looks like it'll be:

Fab
    Coufal Dawson Diop Cresswell Masuaku
    Noble Soucek Fornals
    Lingard Antonio
  • There’s extra pressure on IH that’s for sure. He is battling the Gods as well as Wolves. 😂😂

I'll do my best for the cause.

COYI
  • Looks like

Fabianski
    Diop - Dawson - Cresswell
    Coufal - Souček - Noble - Masuaku
    Lingard - Antonio - Fornals
  • COYI. whoever plays.
  • So two 'keepers, two full backs and two centre backs on the bench, but no room for Coventry. I don't get Moyes sometimes, I really don't.
  • no Bowen no benraham in the 11
  • Lanzini injured?
  • Disappointing but not unexpected

Asking a lot of Masuaku here

Noble needs to show his worth
  • edited April 2021
    MrsGrey said:

Lanzini injured?

Apparently, yes. Failed a late fitness test according to Ex.

Which makes Coventry's omission even more odd. I guess Lingard or Fornals drop to CM if Noble or Soucek get injured, but even so, with two 'keepers and four defenders on the bench, surely there's room for a natural CM 🤔
  • edited April 2021
    Something tells me G&S are secretly relieved; with Rice out injured there's no chance of Champions League, might easily slip out of European spots (no so need to massively invest in the squad), but Rice should be fit to play the last few games and be sold in the summer. Lovely jubbly.
  • I wouldn’t have expected Masuaku to be coming straight in but fitness wise I hope the fact that it was an optional surgery means he doesn’t have the risk of reinjuring himself, as long as his rehab is complete. Obviously he might not be match fit but he’s had long periods out of the side before.