Wolves v West Ham - Monday April 5th 20.:00

edited April 2021 in Match Threads
OK, I'll do it.

Tough but winnable game being shown on SKY.

2-1 Hammers - Lingard and Soucek.

COYI

Comments

• The Roger Johnson derby.
  • Another Robbie Keane Derby
  • The Matt Jarvis derby
  • Chance to do the double over them - 4-0 at the London Stadium playing on the break with 5 at the back (37% possession) - Masuaku had a decent game that night and should be fit to start this one . Bowen scored a brace so for me
    Fabianski
    Coufal , Dawson , Diop , Cresswell , Masuaku
    Rice , Soucek
    Bowen , Antonio , Lingard
  • Apologies for not posting the matchday thread. I didn't know of the tradition until I have just seen Brother Sledge's post on the other matches thread. I accept all blame for us not taking the points.
  • Can't see Masuaku coming straight into the starting 11.

Fabianski
    Coufal Dawson Diop Cresswell
    Rice Soucek
    Bowen Lingard Fornals (if fit, if not, Benrahma)
    Antonio
  • Fabianski
    Rice Soucek
    Bowen Benrahma Lingard
    Antonio
  • The Harry Hooper derby.
  • The Shaun Newton derby
  • edited April 2021
    The Bobby Gould derby

Moutinho got injured with Portugal and will have a late fitness test but GK Rui Patricio has recovered from taking a nasty whack on the head against Liverpool a fortnight ago
  • Leicester,Chelsea loose ,We really need to win this
  • Tomorrow is now massive. Should we win we would have eight matches remaining with three against those also competing for Europe and all three at home. It may begin to feel doable.
  • Just a reminder that we play on Monday, not tomorrow.
  • Tomorrow is now massive.

Following on from buffy....

Just as well you didn't do the match thread :lol:
  • Nice try everyone, but it’s the Carlton Cole Derby, my dudes.
  • When will Tomdec get a rest? With Cullen getting matches for the mighty Ireland, he could replace one after the Hammers go two up...
  • When will Tomdec get a rest? With Cullen getting matches for the mighty Ireland, he could replace one after the Hammers go two up...

Cullen joined Anderlecht in October, signed a 3-year contract, has made 23 appearances this season and took the armband for one game.
  • Apologies for not posting the matchday thread. I didn't know of the tradition until I have just seen Brother Sledge's post on the other matches thread. I accept all blame for us not taking the points.

No worries C&B - coincidentally my faux pas was on the home fixture when I started the thread thereby interrupting Aslef's winning streak which was a far greater crime and still keeps me awake at nights
  • Fabianski
    Coufal - Dawson - Diop - Cresswell
    Souček - Rice
    Benrahma - Fornals - Lingard
    Antonio
  • I'm with buffy on team selection.

Fabianski
    Rice Soucek
    Bowen Lingard Fornals
    Antonio
  • Just accepting that Moyes just doesn't appear to trust/rate Benrahma

Fully expect Bowen to start over him

Just hope that we dont go back 5 or bring in Noble

We are just better with a 4-2-3-1, so hope we go with Lukerz XI but more likely IH

I'm a bit worried that Moyes has a mentality issue....not sure it's deserved yet but feel now we are in the crunch time that and are so close......he's trying to make us more defensive and that's counterproductive as it invites pressure

Not confident we are going to get Europe still
  • I'd be happy with a point ( obviously want the win ). I fear the teams around us will come good and I can see us ending up 7th or 8th. I hope I'm wrong but either way this has been a great journey to be on and hopefully it's only just the beginning.
  • It doesn't feel like it but Benrahma has actually started most games in the last couple of months. It's the bigger ones (Man U, Liverpool, City, Tottenham) that's been benched for. If Moyes keeps that strategy then Benrahma will play. I think this is a good game for him because Wolves can be disciplined. TBH, I think he brings something in most games and I've always thought he worked hard.

I have the same worry Champo. Not fully founded yet but just a bit concerned he'll bottle it.

I feel like we basically have to target the same points to get Champion's League or Europe because it's so close. Win this and we're in 4th, lose it and we're close to slipping out of the Europa spots.
  • edited April 2021
    We’re 7 points off 3rd, 2 off 4th, with games in hand on both. I fully expect Liverpool to finish above us but we should be, realistically, targeting 6th.

I think a couple more wins & we’ll secure our top 8 position. I think when you consider where we were last year, that’s amazing. Also, don’t focus too much on finishing 7th or 8th, it’s more the points difference. We could end up 8th but 3 points off 5th. That’s not bad at all.

I want to try & get to 63 points. That would be our best PL points haul in the last 16 years.
  • Cuz1 said:

The Matt Jarvis derby

How much?
  • I think 6th or 7th is realistic and I would be delighted with finishing in there.
    4th or 5th would be outstanding, but we may need 68 points or more
  • I think whatever happens this has been a great season, so I wouldn't be too upset if we didn't get Europe. I had no expectation of it when we started the season. But it's also a rare chance to get in, in a season where other teams have badly under-performed and been really inconsistent, while we've been probably the second most consistent team in the league. So it would feel like a massive missed opportunity.

6th is a realistic position to target but we're almost the same difference between 4th and 8th (and Everton have a game in hand), so you need to target the same results either way. In terms of where we finish, I wouldn't have a problem with 8th at all if we've attacked these last 9 games with the confidence I think we should have earned by now.
  • As I wrote in the Guardian comments section...

"This is Moyes first full season in charge, the one where he's supposed to start rebuilding the team and show brief glimpses of what the future may hold"

This season has been totally unexpected, after the miserable seasons we've suffered since we moved to Stratford its a relief to feel a tad of optimism and - dare I say it - pride for a change.
  • edited April 2021
    So it would feel like a massive missed opportunity.

Outcast, it certainly will. This is the "new" West Ham so I really hope and pray that they don't fail as we all know the old version would surely have done so.

Anything other than qualification for a European competition next season I will have a problem with, can't do "so near but yet so far". Sorry.
  • Cuz1 said:

The Matt Jarvis derby

How much?
    Far too much imo but guess he loves his football he’s still playing