Hammer of the Year

As there are only a few matches left now what are peoples views regard this prestigious award?

My own view is that it will be a very close run thing in that I doubt many would argue against the idea that Rice is our most talented player but we have a few others that have really made us complete as a team and made the best of what they have regard talent through sheer determination.

Rice - A wonderful talent and a £100m player in my view once his age and his physical constitution is taken into account. So good is he that I have a theory that I am afraid to speak too loudly. I recall when Payet made us a better team on his own and we all thought Billic was better than he was. Is the resurgence of Moyes fortunes due in part to Declan Rice? We are a better team than we had around Payet, no doubt, but would we be mid table or just below without him? I think each week he is so influential that it is possible.

Soucek - A great talent and even better professional. So much effort every match and although not in the Rice category I don't think there are many teams he wouldn't get a game for in his current form.

Coufal - The signing of the season even if compared to Benrhama's skill and Dawson's body on the line attitude. Coufal doesn't do anything brilliantly but does everything really well, and has the attitude of a warrior.

Who else deserves a mention? Oggbona would surely have been a contender? and Dawson for exceeding expectations possibly?

Comments

• Soucek my hammer of the year. Important goals, important engine and changed our midfield dynamic to be able to compete in the middle of the pitch more.
  • I had Ogbonna ahead before his injury, and he still might be in with a shout if he has a storming last seven or eight games.

But I think Rice will get it. He's without doubt our most important player and has been the most consistent player alongside Coufal and Soucek.
  • I think we just make the whole team Player(s) of the year 😃 That would surely save any dissapointment in a brilliant season
  • Where to start

2 Centre mids are the front runners

Coufal/Cresswell not far behind

Oggy just behind the full backs, mostly due to his injuries meaning he hasn't played as kuchen as the above

For me, I think it's Rice...just edges it over Soucek

Soucek has a lot of important goals but feel Rice just nudges him on his overall influence on games
  • I agree with WHU_ on the top 4 now Oggy is injured.( a special mention for Cresswell who is unrecognisable from last season ) I think Rice has been immense over the past couple of seasons but has even improved. Some of that may be down to the workload taken off him by the decent partner he's been crying out for. At this current stage I just about plum for Soucek.
  • Soucek for me.

Reason being he has actually made the key difference ever since he joined.

Rice has excelled but he was still an integral part of what was a failing team prior to Soucek arriving.

We have literally made positive strides forward ever since he joined - it’s no coincidence.
  • Soucek took Nobles spot and added muched needed energy to the midfield i think his goals edge him ahead of Rice
  • edited March 2021
    Good points about Soucek, but you could reverse the argument and ask whether his performances have been made possible because of Rice.
    It's a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.
    However I have to give it to Rice because of his leadership and ever-presence, although if it were to be split between the two of them, I'm sure that no-one would mind, including themselves.
  • HALLER ........................... =)
  • Cresswell for me
  • steve said:

HALLER ........................... =)

You can’t count his performances with another club surely ? 😂😂
  • 1) Soucek, 2) Rice, 3) Coufal.

Oggy had it up to his injury. Lingard will only have half a season so can't make it for me.
    Dawson again won't have played enough.
  • Good points about Soucek, but you could reverse the argument and ask whether his performances have been made possible because of Rice.
    It's a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.
    However I have to give it to Rice because of his leadership and ever-presence, although if it were to be split between the two of them, I'm sure that no-one would mind, including themselves.

But has the arrival of Soucek allowed Rice to flourish?

It's so tight a choice for me, but Tomas just edges it by a hairs breadth, although VAR will draw the lines and check =)
  • Soucek has scored twice so far for the Czechs in the first half
  • Soucek has scored twice so far for the Czechs in the first half

He now has a hat trick

• In fairness, Estonia don’t look a very good side - even I’ve managed to score against them tonight.
  • Still good for a midfielder.
  • Rice by some distance for me
  • edited March 2021

In fairness, Estonia don’t look a very good side - even I’ve managed to score against them tonight.

I read this and thought "so, baracks is a Czech international footballer, eh?" and went to look at the goalscorers from last night to try and work out which one of them is you, and would you Adam and Eve it, this fella scored

How's Verona this time of year?
  • Verona is very good thanks. Right now my focus is on playing as well as I can in the hope that Mr Moyes and Mr Sully will sign me to play for West Ham, London’s premier team
  • Don't worry, if Verona play hard ball Mr Sully will threaten to loan a midfielder from PSG.

You're as good as signed.
  • Wonder if there is any other Czech players we can poach.
  • Well I've always admired Dawson's creek and now his tenacity too! But seriously, its a tough one because the teams spirit and work ethic has been lifted a great deal from previous years. So all the players deserve a lot of credit for responding so well and for the first time in a while looking like a proper team pulling in the same direction.
  • With the general level of commitment of all players has been so positive this season and the great performances of several strong contenders, is the real 'Hammer of the Year' David Moyes?
  • Dodger58 said:

With the general level of commitment of all players has been so positive this season and the great performances of several strong contenders, is the real 'Hammer of the Year' David Moyes?

Absolutely not, players only. Moyes can try for manager of the year

• I wasn’t aware we have a Hammers manager of the year. Too cut and dried normally. Now if we were Watford that’s a different matter as they’ll be a few to choose from
  • He is a good shout for overall manager of the season though. Dean Smith might've been up there with him but Villa have tailed off so the only competition is maybe Ancelotti and Rodgers, in my opinion. Obviously it depends on whether us not suffering a drop in form at the end of the season.

Bielsa and (possibly) Parker might be in the next tier.

Pep's done nothing special by his and City's standards. Ole hasn't either. Klopp, Arteta and Mourinho certainly won't make it.
  • To be fair to Pepe he's currently still on for a possible quadruple. If he gets that then he's a shoe in
  • DJ Hammer said:

Dodger58 said:

With the general level of commitment of all players has been so positive this season and the great performances of several strong contenders, is the real 'Hammer of the Year' David Moyes?

Absolutely not, players only. Moyes can try for manager of the year

Although I get what Dodger was saying... you dismissed it outright....
    not sure , our own ‘hammer of the year’ has squat diddley to do with anyone outside our club!!!