If you could change one rule in football, what would it be?

I'm bored, and I was just thinking about how stupid it is that goalkeepers aren't allowed off their lines at penalties whilst strikers are allowed to breakdance their way to the ball.

IMO, once the whistle blows for the penalty to begin, everyone should be allowed to run wherever they want. Encroachment, keeper rushing out, whatever. It's still a huge advantage to be 12 years old with a clear shot at goal, but it would be chaos, which I'm a fan of.

Comments

• Only allowing 12-year-olds to take penalties? That would be chaos.
  • Moaning at the ref gets on my goat. Players and managers should behave like they do in rugby , no matter what the provocation or decision they feel angry about
  • Something that will never happen

But penalising players who go to ground "easy" even if there is contact

Bored of the amount of fouls/penalties being given because a player has felt contact and gone down...looking at you Grealish/Salah/Zaha etc

Imo it is almost as bad as diving and if players were penalised it would happen a lot less
  • Not my idea but one I quite like is to extend the 18 yard line either side of the box and only have offsides beyond that line rather than the half way line.
  • I'd be happy to do away with offside altogether. The hockey offside rule used to be pretty much the same as the football one, they scrapped it and it really didn't lead to goal hanging which is what everyone worries about.
  • Any team from the Croydon area who play in blue and red and team name sounds like a tacky show bar in Benidorm should be banned from playing football.
  • Any north London team in white banned from premier league for good
  • Ban after match managers interviews, they never say anything worthwhile, and replace them with referee interviews.
  • yoyo said:

Moaning at the ref gets on my goat. Players and managers should behave like they do in rugby , no matter what the provocation or decision they feel angry about

I could have sworn the Manchester United players were moaning about a free kick last night when 4 up but I suppose that is what makes them “winners”. 😉

• I say remove the offside rule. I fully endorse goal hanging.
  • yoyo said:

Moaning at the ref gets on my goat. Players and managers should behave like they do in rugby , no matter what the provocation or decision they feel angry about

I absolutely agree, the sight of refs retreating to avoid complaining players is disgusting. Any dissent should be a yellow card, even when the ref is totally wrong.

Suck it up, get on with the game and complain about it afterwards.

In American Football/Gridiron if a player even lays a hand on an official they get ejected from the game. Adopt the same hard line with football.
  • Dissent is still an offence but ref's don't want to upset anyone and be called thin skinned.
  • IronHerb said:

Dissent is still an offence but ref's don't want to upset anyone and be called thin skinned.

Refs have never been given clear guidelines on dissent, its always left to their discretion which is an obvious cop-out and it needs the IFAB to set the standard. Unfortunately that could lead to certain "prima donnas" getting sent off and football is a business...
  • Imo, if there is one thing I could change then I would like the ref to come out in front of the cameras after the game and debrief. I could live with the odd error if the ref put his hands up and admits it there and then.
  • Any player trying to delay a free kick should be booked, and the kick moved 10 yards forward. And sin binds instead of yellow cards. Yes that's two, I am innumerate.
  • And spell check is illiterate. Bins
  • I agree that yellow cards are pointless. They don’t benefit the team being fouled, but if they add up they benefit someone else down the line. I think instead of yellows a player should go in a sin bin for 5 minutes, particularly for tactical fouls.
  • I hate a player having to leave the pitch after getting treatment for an injury, only to be let back on seconds later.
  • I agree with that one. Don’t know why they made that rule but I think it should be changed so that if you need to leave the field due to injury you can’t come back on for 5 minutes. That should cut out a lot of the feigning injury with every tackle.
    How often do you see a player limping to the line then sprinting back on.
  • I think when that rule was introduced the player immediately left the pitch for treatment, unless really serious, so not delaying the game but now it's not so.
  • I also think the clock should run down from 45 minutes for each half, and be paused for subs and free kicks and things. Gets rid of time wasting straight away
  • Oooh, the TV companies wouldn't like that. It could mess up their scheduling.
  • Remember when (maybe they still do this) Sky would show like the second half of some La Liga match on a Sunday after their other programming had finished? That was weird
  • I hate a player having to leave the pitch after getting treatment for an injury, only to be let back on seconds later.

I'd like to see trainers allowed on the pitch whilst the game is in play (same as rugby). Don't stop the match unless the trainer calls for a doctor - to stop feigning injuries.

Those who roll over holding their fingernail will soon be told to stop lazing about and get up and on with the game by their managers and teammates.

Clearly the referees discretion will be required if the "injured" player is in the way of one of the goalkeepers.

The ridiculous rule that play must be stopped if a player goes down holding his head has just led to more playacting. Again referees have to use their discretion, if they haven't seen/heard the contact, then there probably wasn't any!
  • It really annoys me when a player goes down holding his face when a shirt sleeve has brushed his face as a player goes past and then gets up checking his mouth and nose for blood.
  • edited February 2021

It really annoys me when a player goes down holding his face when a shirt sleeve has brushed his face as a player goes past and then gets up checking his mouth and nose for blood.

I definitely think now that we (rightly imo) have the 'compulsory stop' for anyone claiming a head injury, we need to up the penalty for feigning injury.
  • Pretty hard to judge in a lot of cases though?
  • Simple. Unless there's blood or bone showing you're not injured.   😂
  • Pretty hard to judge in a lot of cases though?

Like so many things...

There are ways, though. but it will always be a judgement call, yes.
  • Ironherb, how much blood and how much bone?