If you could change one rule in football, what would it be?

13»

Comments

• Dodger58 said:

With all matches being covered by VAR, referees could always be instructed to review their decision before confirming the sin bin. But if for 'totting up' fouls this would be irrelevant.

Like they did for the Soucek card? It could work if they ever sort out VAR.
  • edited February 2021

Like they did for the Soucek card? It could work if they ever sort out VAR.

I agree with you Outcast, but if they changed the policy to instruct the Ref to review their Red and Yellow card decisions automatically, it would give them the opportunity to avoid the howler - just doesn't help with incompetence ;)

On Saturday I think Mason was more to blame, Dean was actually looking at Soucek and wasn't going to do anything, which made his decision to then red card him even more bizarre.

Linked to this, I am also frustrated at how often players get away without a booking after the referees have played an advantage and then forgotten to go back to book them. This is another area both the assistant referees (or linesmen to me) and VAR should help with a subtle reminder at the next break in play.
  • Bit like yesterday when Maddison just blatantly kicked the trailing leg of a Sheffield player as he was breaking through. Yellow was given and all and sundry accepted it as part of the game. If Maddison was standing beside the player and just kicked out it would have been red for violent conduct. The fact that the player on the run would likely be in more danger of injury doesn't seem to stand for anything.
  • Not a bad shout that, five minutes off for a yellow and twenty off for a second, carried over to the next match if before the ninety is up.
  • 10 mins for me for a yellow imo, it needs to be significant.
  • Mind, our mate Mike gave 9 yellows and 2 reds in the Wolves v Villa game in December. Theres every chance he may have had to abandon the game due to insufficient players.
  • There is lot of merit in many of these ideas to progress the game. But what game are they improving? IMO these ideas fundamentally change the game we all love. The possibilities of rule changes are massive, not least because of the advent of new technology in the game. As a fan, I think a big part of the ‘experience’ was talking about when ref/linesman had made a good or bad decision for or against our team.
    In VAR’s case we seem to have only replaced this with moaning about a single person at Stockley Park, who gets as much wrong as right.The advent of sin bins, etc may just only lead to further arguments, and will further sanitise our game. An offside decision, for example, may be life or death to some these days, but it should just be a game to be passionate about!
    All IMO obviously.
  • I must admit that I've never gone to a match hoping to talk afterwards about the officials.
  • edited February 2021
    I am not against yellow cards, once one is issued that player is under notice for the rest of the game, he is not likely to be quite so confident in deciding to tackle so the “sinned” against team does get a subliminal advantage.

A little controversial and I probably would still need convincing but I would like to see an experimental sequence of games, maybe an under 21 tournament, where the clock is automatically stopped for injuries or when the ball is out of play.

it may mean that we move to 40mins or even less per half but in theory all time wasting goes out of the window and I am interested to see if it changes the fans experience.
  • Chicago, that would also help in knowing exactly how many 'real' minutes left. As in Rugby, after the hooter goes and the ball is out of play then the game stops.
  • Trouble is there’s so much play acting and physios on each game it will end up like American football and games will last for hours.
  • oooh there's a stat not yet offered. How many minutes of the match is the ball actually in play
  • I saw a stat a few years back which a university, maybe Loughborough, did roughly along those lines and by ignoring throw ins, set plays etc but assuming the watch was stopped for injuries it worked out at about 35-40 minutes in play.
    Similarly they did tennis and over a 5 set match lasting just under four hours the ball was actually being played for around 20 minutes.
  • Same in nearly all timed sports.
  • Re the sin bin idea, players would be much less likely to "take one for the team" and make a really cynical foul if that was actually going to mean his team had to play 10 minutes short-handed. Would almost certainly see a reduction in cynical fouls imo.
  • Sin bins and a Master Clock need to be combined, or there would be Stoke levels of time wasting when a player is in the bin. I'm for both. Time wasting and cynical fouls are both anti-football