If you could change one rule in football, what would it be?

Comments

• Terry Butcher (England) blood and David Busst (Coventry) for bone.
  • That's horror film level then 🤣
  • If a player has to leave the field due to a foul from the other team, how about the guilty party from that team also has to leave the field...
  • They would have to have a revolving door for the likes of Salah & Grealish. 😁
  • I’d like to know what the players views on this subject especially coufal for his defending and soucek for not going to ground in the box, grealish would deffo have had penalty there
  • Ironherb, how much blood and how much bone?

If they don't look like a skeleton taking off a human suit then play on
  • Can someone remind me why the assistant refs no longer raise a flag when they spot an offside but now do so way later after the passage of play is completed, why, it makes no sense to me whatsoever
  • edited February 2021

Can someone remind me why the assistant refs no longer raise a flag when they spot an offside but now do so way later after the passage of play is completed, why, it makes no sense to me whatsoever

In case they are wrong.
    They have been told to wait until the move is complete, so as not to stop play that might lead to a goal. Var then reviews it.

Earlier in the VAR era, they tried getting the lino to flag but told the players to play on, but that didn't work as players would see the flag and stop/ slow down. And in some cases the attacking player went on to score a goal that was judged after review to be ' onside'.

This current system of not flagging straight away is the solution.
  • MrsGrey said:

This current system of not flagging straight away is the solution.

But what if the attacking side get a corner from a situation where there was a player offside and go on to score from said corner. This is an unfair advantage. Maybe VAR should just tell the officials that there was an offside and the defending team will get a free kick and not be penalised incorrectly.
  • But the lino puts the flag up ( if they thought it was offside) when the ball goes out of play.
  • I'm just waiting for a player to get seriously injured in the intervening time between being obviously offside and the delayed flag raising. Fredericks suffered an ankle injury at Huddersfield and was out for six weeks, I think, in a similar situation.
  • edited February 2021
    MrsGrey said:

But the lino puts the flag up ( if they thought it was offside) when the ball goes out of play.

Yes, in a game against the red mancs the player was offside and the ball went out for a corner and the corner was given, with no flag raised.

Maybe that's just because of who we were playing.

I suppose we were lucky not to concede a penalty for daring to clear the ball =)
  • Errors are always with us :-)
  • It annoys me when VAR automatically checks offside for all goals, but when there was an offside that led to the corner that led to a goal, no check.

I appreciate that it opens up a can of worms and you could end up checking further and further back, but it still annoys me.
  • Can you imagine how long it would take to complete a match if they implemented that?
  • I think assistant refs should be able to flag when they're sure it's offside. Go to VAR only when it's a tight call. The long- term solution is to change the offside law.
  • Kuching

Didn’t that happen the other week anyone? One of them flagged because they were certain and it was obvious, but then it turned out they were wrong? The defenders all stopped and the attacking team scored.

I was about to say I don’t remember who it was, but Joao Cancelo scored the goal
  • The rules should be implemented the same regardless of where the infringement takes place. If you gave a penalty at a corner for the same things you blew for a foul elsewhere on the pitch currently we would get 5 per game, one week of doing so however and this ridiculous situation that allows defenders to hold attackers would stop. You can brush Salah's sock and its a penalty but you can have your arms around a players shoulders preventing him jump for a corner and nothing.

If they wanted to offer a lighter touch if the corner is taken and an infringement common at present gets seen then it's retaken with the opposing player off the pitch until the ball next goes out of play. They currently take penalties again if there is encroaching or keeper off his line.

Other than this I would get to grips with VAR, if its a penalty its a penalty, it doesn't become less so because it wasn't a clear error by the referee, an error is an error. If VAR gets a better view and more time to recognise that error then use that ability to produce a fair outcome to the incident.
  • Trouble is all the holding and grabbing at corners takes place usually before the corner is taken. A penalty can only be awarded for an offence that takes place while the ball is in play. What the ref should do is watch all the shenanigans and get the assistance to tell him as soon as the ball is kicked and he can then award the penalty.
  • Imo, if there is one thing I could change then I would like the ref to come out in front of the cameras after the game and debrief. I could live with the odd error if the ref put his hands up and admits it there and then.

This change being implemented is really appealing to me this evening for some reason! 😡
  • The rule that allows Mike dean to ref
  • Imo, if there is one thing I could change then I would like the ref to come out in front of the cameras after the game and debrief. I could live with the odd error if the ref put his hands up and admits it there and then.

This change being implemented is really appealing to me this evening for some reason! 😡
    You know, even if Dean came out and explained why he thought it was a penalty and why he ignored whatshisnames opinion that it wasn't I'd accept it. He doesn't necessarily have to agree with me, I just want a decent explanation why he thought it was. Over time he could then be called out on inconsistencies.
  • Do away with yellow cards and introduce a “Sin bin” instead for offences. A red card could still be used if a player is sent to the bin on a second occasion.
  • DJ, they use that system in junior football we ended up playing against 9 the other month but the referee was very clear at the start how he was going to officiate.
  • I've always liked the idea of sin bins far more than yellow cards. I'd personally do away with red cards for multiple offences too and allow people to be in the sinbin multiple times a game. I think a yellow card isn't enough of a deterrent to stop players making cynical fouls. If your centre half was suddenly taken out of the game for 5 minutes then I think they'd think more about pulling people back or breaking up a counter attack .
  • edited February 2021
    I see your point but what if the ref gets the decision wrong? Being sent to the sin bin would have a much bigher impact on the game than a yellow.
  • I see your point but what if the ref gets the decision wrong? Being sent to the sin bin would have a much bigher impact on the game than a yellow.

Well, I'd obviously also add the rule that the yellow cards only count if I agree with the decision, otherwise it's overridden.
  • I think a sin bin is useful for those 'orange' areas or areas of cynical play.

An example is a CDM, managed by Pulis or Wilder, who goes around kicking players to continually break-up play, but does it with just enough subtlety to avoid getting booked until the second half, when he is replaced by another player who does the same until FT. When this becomes clear, after the 2nd or 3rd foul, the player is sin binned. That'll stop.

Plus those annoying time-wasting areas. Dyche telling his LB to take 30 seconds over a throw in because they are 0-0 at the Emirates or 1-0 up. After one warning, the next obvious time wasting is sin binned.

Finally, the clear 'take one for the team' tackles. Doesn't ever warrant a red, always certainly a yellow, but a sacrifice willing to be taken. First time that a guy is hacked down as he leads a counter, sin bin.
  • The thing about sin bins is that they then benefit the side who have been sinned against, whereas yellow cards only lead to exclusion after totting up over several matches. This could easily work against the team originally sinned against as the player could be banned from a match against their more immediate rivals later in the season.

I am 100% in favour of sin bins - they work well in rugby and 10 minutes would be a better penalty than the 5 mentioned by Alderz above.

With all matches being covered by VAR, referees could always be instructed to review their decision before confirming the sin bin. But if for 'totting up' fouls this would be irrelevant.
  • Lukerz, a bit like the plan Everton used to stop that French player we had the other season.