Yuck! Stupid Villa on Wednesday!

edited January 2021 in Match Threads
I wanted to post a few Derby’s and none of you have started the match thread and now I’ve had a drink so here we go.

The Nolberto Solano Derby
The Nigel Rep-Coker Derby
The Marlon Harewood Derby
The James Collins Derby

Comments

• None of you noticed where I said the wrong day, right?
  • The Thomas Hitzlsperger Derby
  • Der Hammer Derby
  • John Carew derby
  • Boooooooo.

I really wanted you to make this thread Jordan, but you let me down. You let us all down. We believed in you.
  • Fabianski
    Coufal - Dawson - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Bowen - Soucek - Rice - Fornals
    Benrahma
    Antonio

Martin, Balbuena, Diop, Fredericks, Noble, Lanzini, Lingard, Yarmolenko, Odubeko
  • Yeah I agree with that Luke. I’d rather Johnson on the bench to cover left back than one of the two centre backs, but otherwise the same.

I think the centre midfielders looked shattered today, but that was probably because there were four centre mids for them to play against. In an ideal world we’d have a few players to rotate in, but I’m not sure we have anyone who can come in without damaging the quality of the first team.

I’m sure Lingard will get some time off the bench, and I’m hopeful that our new loan signings Hwang Hee-chan and Lionel Messi will get at least a few minutes each too.
  • Yea I'd also start the same team, yea Rice/Soucek looked tired today but Liverpool kept the ball so well they had a lot of ground to cover, but they were still getting forward by the 90th minute
  • I’m looking forward to seeing Coufal mark Grealish out of the game. I think he and Wan-Bissaka are probably the two best defensive fullbacks in the league.
  • David James derby
  • The snodgrass and Carlton Cole derby
  • The Robbie Keane derby
  • Cuz1 said:

David James derby

This is a good one
  • The William Dove derby
  • the borrowed claret and blue derby
  • How many times is Grealish going to fallderz?
  • ONE HUNDRED
  • This is a very tough game. If we were to lose, which would not be impossible or a disgrace, we risk the season starting to go flat. Luckily, we have Fulham & Sheffield Utd after this game, so still a chance for us to get back on track, but I think the mood would change slightly with back-to-back losses, added to the transfer window disappointment.

A draw would be a good result, but we need to target a win. I don't like Villa.
  • I think we target a win most every game don't we?
  • The Phil Woosnam derby.
  • We need to put in a performance foremost and hopefully the result will follow. I don't want to see that smug grin on grealish's face as earns yet another free kick from diving I want to see stroppy pants Grealish sulking as his team lose 3-0 :-)
  • Grealish won’t be able to fall over, as he will be in Coufal’s pocket all night! 🤞
  • Wishful thinking? - in my opinion - Grealish will just drop back as far as he needs to collect the ball then set off on a run through us until he gets a touch and goes down.
  • They were unlucky to have Watkins' goal chalked off in the last game, and probably deserved a draw. I can see them winning this one by a couple. Grealish, for all of his faults, is a very, very good player. We know he'll dive, we know he'll probably get a couple of our players booked, but we also know that he can hurt us.

Rice and Soucek were blowing during the Liverpool game, and with only two full days rest before this one I can't see that they're going to be at full tilt.

Klopp showed how to overrun our midfield two, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Dean Smith do something similar. Maybe we'll have to play Fornals as a third CM in a 4-3-3 to counter that with Benrahma and Bowen out wide.

Our biggest threat again will be set pieces; Soucek and Dawson are big weapons in the opposition box so we need to play to these strengths. No more short corners and please; Beat. The. First. Man.
  • We dealt with Grealish fine, for all his diving, in the last game. I think we’ll be ok.
  • We dealt with Grealish fine, for all his diving, in the last game. I think we’ll be ok.

He literally scored against us. I'd put good money on him doing the same tomorrow.

Up against a fatigued SouDec, I think he's going to give us the runaround. Hope you're right, but fear you're not.

He literally scored against us. I'd put good money on him doing the same tomorrow.

Up against a fatigued SouDec, I think he's going to give us the runaround. Hope you're right, but fear you're not.

Aha forgot about that. Still, I felt like Coufal was fine with him. A lapse in the middle for the goal but I think he can be handled. We have to offer our own threat though as well
  • If you don't look tired at the end of the game then you haven't given your all, especially when losing. Rice and Soucek are fine.
  • IronHerb said:

If you don't look tired at the end of the game then you haven't given your all, especially when losing. Rice and Soucek are fine.

Could also say they looked tired half way thru the game IMO...
    Rice was IMO poor V Liverpool.