FA Cup 3rd Round 8-11 January

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55530428

Former Liverpool defender and TV pundit Jamie Carragher has stepped in to sponsor Marine days before their FA Cup tie versus Tottenham Hotspur.

Fair Do's.

Meanwhile, Derby will be putting out a team of kids as the 1st team has been hit by Covid.

Saints-Shrewsbury in doubt.

All clubs being tested 72 hours before their matches ... I wonder how many will go ahead?

Comments

• edited January 2021
    MrsGrey said:

All clubs being tested 72 hours before their matches ... I wonder how many will go ahead?

I'd guess that all of the tests will go ahead

coat please, the greasy mac at the end, ta
  • I for one are 100% confident we will be in the draw for the 4th round 😏
  • edited January 2021
    They are all supposed to go ahead as that is what the FA said but now they are going to consider each request for a postponement on their own merits.
  • edited January 2021
    Now see they’re doing the 4th and 5th round draws on Monday before our game. This is apparently to help tv companies with their scheduling but not sure how it helps with planning 5th round matches on an if if if and if basis.
  • Saints v Shrewsbury off and the only spare slot is next week before the 4th round on the 23rd?
  • I don't understand how the cup can go ahead tbh
  • Could open a can of worms, notts county had to forfeit there game against kings lynn in first round so should be same all round
  • Just give it us =)
  • Derby forced to field youngsters. Can't Villa do the same?
  • Liverpool will demand Villa play as they had to put out youngsters last season in the League Cup while they were at the World Club Championship.
  • edited January 2021
    I always thought the FA cup was about the fans of the lower league teams getting plum ties and the thrill of a cup upset, IMO without fans being able to attend and the way things are....Just scrap it...IMO there are no real winners ( even the eventual winners )...just my opinion of course.
  • 1) over half of the FA's total revenue comes from the TV rights for FA Cup matches and they have signed contracts up to 2024

2) lower league clubs get huge payoffs for televised games, in the past some clubs have made more out of playing one FA Cup match on TV than they did from ticket sales for the whole season

3) if they do cancel the FA Cup who gets the Europa League spot?
  • WOW, you certainly are well informed ASLEF, very impressed!.
    Fair enough, I get your point....Happy that a handful of small teams that might be televised might get a wad of dosh, good for them.
    Re Europa, really is that so important, could just make an extra place in league.

I just hope by playing these F A Cup games does not cause further implications, just saying " is it worth it ".....
  • edited January 2021
    I just Google, its amazing what you can dig up if you've got time on your hands (its my day off today).

When Leyton Orient got Arsenal in the 5th round on TV Barry Hearn reckoned it doubled their income for the season. Imagine how much the Spurs game is worth to Marine.

With all the precautions and testing playing football matches behind closed doors is probably a lot safer than going to Tescos, getting on the bus (or Tube), etc.

If we were going to cancel anything it should have been the League Cup
  • I just Google, its amazing what you can dig up if you've got time on your hands (its my day off today).

When Leyton Orient got Arsenal in the 5th round on TV Barry Hearn reckoned it doubled their income for the season. Imagine how much the Spurs game is worth to Marine.

With all the precautions and testing playing football matches behind closed doors is probably a lot safer than going to Tescos, getting on the bus (or Tube), etc.

If we were going to cancel anything it should have been the League Cup

Now spuds are in the final we should cancel it now , never too late:)
  • I just Google, its amazing what you can dig up if you've got time on your hands (its my day off today).

ASLEF, you Google!! ☹️ You've just gone and shattered my belief that you were a walking encyclopædia. =)
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55412755

We all know Marine are going to be smashed by Spurs, but still, what a nice story. There's a heart-warming film in there somewhere.

I love this bit

Both dugouts are down a narrow stretch of pitch directly behind houses on Rossett Road, with fencing numbered along the side so ball boys and girls know which door to knock on if the ball lands in a garden.

'Can we have our ball back please?' :p
  • edited January 2021
    I doubt if there's much point watching Liverpool v Aston Villa, memories of BFS putting out the kids against Nottingham Forest in 2014. Lambs to the slaughter seems appropriate.

Wolves v Palace offers a far better evenings entertainment and I'd never pass up a chance to hate Zaha that little bit more

ASLEF, you Google!! ☹️ You've just gone and shattered my belief that you were a walking encyclopædia. =)

I couldn't possibly be a walking encyclopædia, I spend far too much time sitting...
  • edited January 2021
    Are Villa the first team to play a side in the FA cup when all players were born in the 21st century?
  • That's a good pub quiz question!
  • What's a pub?
  • IronHerb said:

What's a pub?

Now THAT’S a good question!

• edited January 2021
    I Googled "pub" and it couldn't remember either
  • Chorley 1-0 up against Derby. Chortle.
  • Derby youth team due to all first team squad isolating
  • Crosby, Thrills and Cash.... Headline of an article about Marine v Spurs. #excellent
  • And their manager is called Neil Young B)
  • Rotherham have equalised against Everton!
  • Oh dear, QPR have got fan photos in the stands.

Fulham LB Joe Bryan stopped a cross with his face twice in about three minutes