FA Cup 3rd Round 8-11 January

13»

Comments

• Do you want a cushion for your fence? :-)
  • MrsGrey said:

Do you want a cushion for your fence? :-)

No, I don’t want to get too comfortable in case I never get off
  • You 're not a Republican Congressman by any chance, Alderz??
  • You 're not a Republican Congressman by any chance, Alderz??

I should mod you for even saying republican on here
  • alderz said:

You 're not a Republican Congressman by any chance, Alderz??

What happened to freedom of speech? 😉
  • It doesn't exist.
  • You’re all free to say whatever you like whenever you like. There are just consequences to your actions 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • alderz said:

You’re all free to say whatever you like whenever you like. There are just consequences to your actions 🤷🏻‍♂️

alderz casually telling Proud Boys to stand by...
  • The intention there was more the opposite...!
  • alderz said:

The intention there was more the opposite...!

alderz casually telling Proud Boys ANTIFA to stand by...
  • alderz said:

You 're not a Republican Congressman by any chance, Alderz??

What happened to freedom of speech? 😉
    It has to take its chances with other rights when they come into conflict. Equal rights, not special privilege :-)
  • Sorry MrsGrey, but are you implying that freedom of speech is a special privilege?
  • Sorry MrsGrey, but are you implying that freedom of speech is a special privilege?

It is if you disagree with Alderz

=)

Not at all. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was trying to say that it is only one right of many, and it doesn't take precedence over the others.

And in any case, it isn't an unadulterated right. For example, laws prohibiting libel and slander have long been in existence.

• MrsGrey, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that libel and slander are not prohibited by law, rather that the person libelled or slandered can seek redress under the law.
  • Yes. In the UK. It's different elsewhere.
  • edited January 2021
    Freedom of speech wasn't enshrined under English law until the Human Rights Act 1998, instead we had the common law principle that you could say or write anything you liked providing there wasn't a law against it (e.g. obscenity, blasphemy, seditious libel).
  • ASLEF, the walking/sitting encyclopædia, did you Google that? Please say you didn't. 😉
  • Gosh, this site is a fountain of knowledge and information.
    I only came on to say it was really muddy out in the fields when I went out for a walk today. And I heard a Big Bang which turned out to be an aeroplane.
  • Gosh, this site is a fountain of knowledge and information.
    I only came on to say it was really muddy out in the fields when I went out for a walk today. And I heard a Big Bang which turned out to be an aeroplane.

I very confidently told my girlfriend that someone upstairs had dropped something, and was immediately proven wrong by the news :)
  • Haha. I thought my neighbour had slammed a door so loudly that it shook our conservatory (she has an annoying habit of slamming doors all the time).

Almost went round to complain, before learning it was a sonic boom.
  • That must of been a big something to be heard 70-80miles away. It made me jump. 😂
  • Used to hear it at sea with Concorde when in the Royal Navy well loud
  • ASLEF, the walking/sitting encyclopædia, did you Google that? Please say you didn't. 😉

I had to Google the date of the HRA but I had a vague recollection of the rest.

The sonic boom rattled my windows in Leyton, seems it was an RAF Typhoon on a "Quick Reaction Alert" to check out a cargo plane that had gone off course on its way to Stanstead.
  • alderz said:

Gosh, this site is a fountain of knowledge and information.

I very confidently told my girlfriend that someone upstairs had dropped something, and was immediately proven wrong by the news :)
    Such a mansplainer 🙄

It was such a weird sound. It reminded me of the Canary Wharf bomb a bit, though our back door flew open that time.
  • alderz said:

Gosh, this site is a fountain of knowledge and information.

Such a mansplainer 🙄

It was such a weird sound. It reminded me of the Canary Wharf bomb a bit, though our back door flew open that time.
    How dare you