FA Cup 3rd Round 8-11 January

Comments

• Andy Carroll getting a yellow card for jumping while tall next to a shorter person.
  • Once again Andy Carrolls arm catches a player and the yellow card is out before he hits the deck. In the Leicester game he was taken out with an elbow and only a free kick. Referees definitely have it in for him.
  • edited January 2021
    I hope somewhere Haller is watching Andy Carroll putting himself about and chasing everything. That's what is expected Mr Haller, watch and learn..... edit....Carroll has missed from 6 yards. Oh well....Taxi for yoyo
  • With Carroll’s injury record he’s probably not going to
  • Who is this mystical creature suddenly appearing on football pitches in the south of England where he hasn’t been seen for aeons. It is the entity known as Andy Carroll surely a magical creature that only appears from the north east and is entirely unable to manifest if existing in the londiniom region. :p
  • Come on Crawley
  • Made Phillips look like Sanchez there
  • I really want to laugh at Leeds .....But we have our game tomorrow
  • 3 nil lol
  • I see all the pics on BBC re Marine v Spurs, and hardly any of the supporters in the street next to each other wearing masks...I personally just don't get it.....
  • Aren’t they in their back gardens?
  • edited January 2021

Aren’t they in their back gardens?

I know that you are having a laugh....
    I really wish it was that people were only in their private garden, however I’m sure they were in the street greeting the team arriving...sadly these foolish, careless people only have themselves to blame for the virus growing..
    Not trying to be a downer here, just saying it how I see it... 👍🏻
  • Just watched the Newport Brighton penalties and all the saved ones would have been retaken had there been VAR.
  • thorn, that is a very good point shouldn’t VAR be obsolete if it can’t be used at every ground? Smith-Rowe had his red card cancelled as the referee reviewed it on the screen but Leeds should have had a penalty but as there wasn’t the option to check it they didn’t get one. Even the Newport manager was heard to say he his moved off the line again.
  • Yup, should be a level playing field, IMO. No team should be able to benefit from VAR correcting a mistake, or not being there to correct a mistake, if all of them can't.
  • What effect does a decision at Crawley have on a game at the Emirates? As long as it's a level playing field for both teams in one game then fine.
  • IronHerb said:

What effect does a decision at Crawley have on a game at the Emirates? As long as it's a level playing field for both teams in one game then fine.

I agree. It’s not always a level playing field anyway. The only way to make it truly level would be for all games to have the same refereeing team, as we know some are better than others.

You could go further and argue it’s not an even playing field if some teams play their games on a premier league carpet at some play them in a back garden.
  • Would you be happy if some matches in the premier League had VAR and some didn't?

My own view is that having some FA cup games subject to VAR and some not is effectively playing some matches by different rules. Of course both teams in that game are playing on a level playing field, but the integrity of the competition is compromised.
  • What Mrs G said.
  • Take the Arsenal game. Smith-Rowe gets his red card overturned by VAR, Arsenal keep 11 players on the pitch and he scores the opener.

Would it be fair if tonight we have a player sent off for a challenge that VAR, if it was in operation, would overturn and have to play with 10? No, IMO.
  • So every VAR decision has been correct then?
  • How is that relevant? We know VAR decisions are still open to interpretation, but surely every game in the same competition should have the same rules applied? Or, as Mrs G said, would you be happy if some PL games had VAR and others didn't?
  • edited January 2021
    The same rules are applied though, some have VAR assistance that's all. Would you have a PL game cancelled if VAR wasn't working at that particular stadium? I know I wouldn't.
    I's a bit like getting Mike Dean as your allocated ref, you just have to get on with it.
  • edited January 2021
    The same rules aren't being applied. In some games, the referee's decisions are being reviewed and potentially changed, and some games the referee's original decision stands.

If the technology failed at a PL game, then no, I wouldn't have the game cancelled; but this isn't about tech not working; it's a conscious decision to allow VAR to operate in some games and not others.

So to re-phrase the question; would you be happy if the PL consciously allowed some PL games to have VAR and others not?
  • IronHerb said:

The same rules are applied though, some have VAR assistance that's all. Would you have a PL game cancelled if VAR wasn't working at that particular stadium? I know I wouldn't.
    I's a bit like getting Mike Dean as your allocated ref, you just have to get on with it.

You do know he's our ref tonight ( although he's my favorite! )....
  • IronHerb, a bit like the system not working at Villa Park last season v Sheffield United?
  • I watched a few of the penalty shootouts in the FA Cup and there were a few keepers off the line when saving penalties yet Fabianski gets pulled up for the smallest of margins
  • IronHerb, a bit like the system not working at Villa Park last season v Sheffield United?

That's right. So in that instance it wasn't a level playing field.

So to re-phrase the question; would you be happy if the PL consciously allowed some PL games to have VAR and others not?

But the competition rules state(ish) ; -
    for the PL - VAR will be used
    for the FA Cup - VAR will be used where available
    for the League Cup - VAR will be used from semi finals onwards.

• Ok tbh I don’t know what I think. I agree with everything everyone has said :)