Injury Updates - Feb 2023 onwards

edited February 2023 in Men's First Team
I'm sure we usually have an "Injuries" thread, but I've not seen one for a while (although obviously we've had plenty of injuries as usual) so I thought I'd open one. Quotes below are from today's presser for the Newcastle game:

“Danny Ings is doing quite well,” Moyes revealed. “He’s got a chance of being available on Saturday."

“Gianluca is not available, Kurt Zouma is not available, Maxi Cornet is not available for Saturday,” Moyes confirmed.

“They’re all getting better and I couldn’t give you precise dates on any of them, but hopefully they are going in the right direction."

“Maxi has gone back to France again – he’s not quite ready yet to step up to training levels. We need to bring him on and hopefully get him back as quick as we can.

“He needs to get a bit more pitch work done. He’s doing work in the gym, he’s exercising – look, he’s not feeling his calf muscle any more and is feeling much better, but if you’re asking is he back at 100 per cent yet? No, he’s probably 60 or 70 per cent and we’re hoping that it won’t be too long.”

https://www.whufc.com/news/team-news-ings-closing-return-scamacca-zouma-and-cornet-updates

So, good news on Ings, but Cornet still a long way away by the sounds of it, and nothing to go on for Scamacca and Zouma.

Comments

• edited February 2023
    I'd be surprised if Cornet played again this season. And I'm not sure why he can't do what he needs to do at West Ham's facilities; why has he gone back to France?

Given he was our primary cover on both wings, we could really do with him back.
  • OCS, He has gone to France as it's nice there just ask Moffi. =)
  • I don't understand OCS why you say you don't think Cornet will play again this season. Moyes has just said that he is not feeling his calf muscle any more is 60/70% and hope it won't be too long.
  • Whitehorse, you maybe need to catch up withe the general vibe on here mate.😉

• Slacker, who is this? Clue is in your last post. ;)
  • Slacker, say it’s Peter Withe.
  • edited February 2023

I don't understand OCS why you say you don't think Cornet will play again this season. Moyes has just said that he is not feeling his calf muscle any more is 60/70% and hope it won't be too long.

It's a rare injury and the injections appear to be a bit of a Hail Mary to avoid surgery. If he's only at 60/70% now, four months after the injury, then he's still a long way from full fitness, and I think there's every chance that he'll breakdown again once he does finally resume full training.

I hope I'm wrong and he's back in the next few weeks, but all I'm saying is that I'd be surprised if he was. If I was a betting man I'd put money on him having surgery before the season's out.
  • This Cornet saga reminds me of the TGV. Got injured early on and was never the same.
  • edited February 2023

This Cornet saga reminds me of the TGV. Got injured early on and was never the same.

I was thinking more of Andy Carroll, what with it being a really unusual injury and repeated false dawns.
  • This Cornet saga reminds me of the TGV. Got injured early on and was never the same.

Lost me.
    TGV?🤷🏻‍♂️

• Slacker said:

This Cornet saga reminds me of the TGV. Got injured early on and was never the same.

Lost me.
    TGV?🤷🏻‍♂️

Faubert
  • I liked Faubert. He wasn’t what we thought we were getting, but he ended up being good for us
  • Didn't we sell him to Barcelona or some exotic club?
  • He went on loan to Real Madrid.
  • Slacker said:

Lost me.
    TGV?🤷🏻‍♂️

Faubert
    Nope, still don’t get it.
  • edited February 2023
    Slacker said:

Slacker said:

Lost me.
    TGV?🤷🏻‍♂️

Faubert
    Nope, still don’t get it.
    He was, before we signed him, French and very quick, so his nickname was TGV which is a French express train.
  • Oh right.
    That one passed me by.

All week.
  • Slacker said:

Oh right.
    That one passed me by.

All week.

Snap I had and still have no idea what this is about 🤣
  • Julian Faubert. He came with a good reputation and was absolutely rapid, but ruptured his achilles not long after joining us and never really recovered that pace. Was still a decent player for us, but not the one we signed.
  • That was when the islanders were our owners. I think we also bought dyer, bowyer, upson and Parker and they all got injured early on for lengthy periods.
  • Kehrer injured you say?

Maybe we should have... you know what, never mind.
  • I wonder if there're stats regarding clubs whose new signings have been injured almost from the off. Also players that have missed the most games through injury and their respective clubs.
    I'm sure we must be close to the top of that table.
  • I wonder if there're stats regarding clubs whose new signings have been injured almost from the off. Also players that have missed the most games through injury and their respective clubs.
    I'm sure we must be close to the top of that table.

A new trophy competition, perhaps.
  • Maybe it is a new trophy about to be announced as I think Liverpool are going for it this season
  • Kehrer having a scan today apparently for a hamstring problem. It’s the reason he was substituted at half time at Newcastle.
  • So, as of today (11th Feb) we have:

Cornet - mysterious calf injury, been out for ages
    Zouma - hamstring injury following previous knee issues
    Scamacca - knee issue that he's having injections for
    Aerola - missed a couple of matches, was back for one but now missing again
    Cresswell - missing from today's squad, ???
    Paqueta - heavy fall on his shoulder today, looked suspiciously like a collarbone issue
    Aguerd - had to go off today, hamstring? Already missed a good chunk of the season
    Kehrer - had to survive a late fitness test today after going off against Newcastle last week

Could be only Downes and Emerson of all our summer signings are available next week.

Real shame about today's two injuries; Aguerd has looked class when he's been available, and Paqueta has started to settle into the PL and has shown recent signs of improvement playing alongside Rice when we're playing 3 at the back.
  • According to Claret and Hugh (yeah, I know), ref. Aguerd and Paqueta:

We were told: “They are both likely to be out for weeks rather than months.”
  • Paqueta has posted on social media:

“One more scare, the same shoulder as before just other ligaments, but at least (it wasn’t) the worst (case scenario) of the problems!

“Been feeling a lot less pain and I’m recovering well, hopefully be back soon.”
  • What does he need his shoulder for?