Injury Updates - Feb 2023 onwards

Comments

• Except we only have one now =)
  • I didn't think Fabianski's injuries were terminal😊 I wonder who will be on the bench tonight, keeper wise that is.
  • Henri Lansbury
  • How many mistakes has Areola made?

I can only think of two currently.... Coming to us initially and then signing permanently ;)
  • 😂 👏🏻 ;oldskoolbowdownemoji
  • Anyone know how Cornet came through his run out the other night?
  • Anyone know how Cornet came through his run out the other night?

I haven't seen anything since to suggest there's a further problem, there was a report beforehand saying he'd be given 45 mins and he played the whole first half, so hopefully it all went as planned.
  • edited March 2023
    As buffy says, had two attempts on goal and almost scored with a header just before half time.
  • Coufal has got a plantar fascia issue, isn't that what kept Andy Carroll out for most of the first season after he signed permanently? Doesn't bode well.
  • edited March 2023

Anyone know how Cornet came through his run out the other night?

He's travelling with the squad for the ECL game, so although I don't think he'll be playing, I would guess he came through the U21's game OK the other night.
  • Coufal has got a plantar fascia issue.

Ouch. I had that a couple of years ago. Really painful and there is nothing you can do about it except wait for it to go away. Mine lasted a few weeks, then got better of its own accord.
  • Fabianski is back in training
  • Lukerz said:

Fabianski is back in training

Yeah, I noticed he was in the photos, but I suspect he's just keeping his fitness up with non-contact stuff. Would be surprised to see him in action this side of the international break.
  • A fair bit about Scamacca and how he's not fully returned to his pre-injury fitness levels:

https://www.whufc.com/news/team-news-scamacca-set-start-coufal-and-antonio-out

Also confirms Antonio and Coufal still out with calf and foot/heel issues respectively.
  • edited March 2023
    The quotes from Moyes read like he may have regretted being so open publicly about Scammaca's fitness levels. Was he trying to make amends and give him a boost here?

Otherwise, it seems unusual for him to spend so much time discussing one player.
  • The quotes from Moyes read like he may have regretted being so open publicly about Scammaca's fitness levels. Was he trying to make amends and give him a boost here?

Otherwise, it seems unusual for him to spend so much time discussing one player.

I think Moyes's original comments were probably because he was being criticised for not playing Scamacca, but it did sound like he was having a dig, You're right though, he certainly goes to great lengths to try and say how highly thought of he is.
  • Moyes cannot afford to dis Scamacca as he said he wouldn’t buy any old striker and would wait for the right one.
  • edited March 2023
    Plus doesn’t want his value dropping 💰
  • Coufal has been included in the Czech Republic squad for the Euro qualifiers, despite not being fully recovered from his foot/heel issue:

https://www.claretandhugh.info/candh-exclusive-hammers-unhappy-with-coufal-decision/

Obviously all injuries are individual, but I seem to remember when Andy Carroll had plantar fasciitis we kept trying to bring him back too early and it only made matters worse and led to lots of missed games, so I can understand why, if C&H is correct, we'd have preferred him not to have accepted the call up. Sounds selfish, but I hope he doesn't play.
  • To be fair, Andys ability to come back from any injury and spectacularly fail to keep fit is legendary.
  • Bazshuayi said:

To be fair, Andys ability to come back from any injury and spectacularly fail to keep fit is legendary.

Very true dat.

Coufal starting for Czech Replublic this evening, I just hope there's no adverse reaction afterwards.
  • Bazshuayi said:

To be fair, Andys ability to come back from any injury and spectacularly fail to keep fit is legendary.

Very true dat.

Coufal starting for Czech Replublic this evening, I just hope there's no adverse reaction afterwards.
    He played 69 minutes, as I say, just hope he comes through it ok 🤞🤞🤞
  • Scamacca out for a while:

“It’s roughly the same squad as Sunday. The only news is that Gianluca Scamacca has two weeks of rehabilitation on his knee.
    “We don’t think he needs surgery but we’ll see how the next two weeks go.”

https://www.whufc.com/news/it-happened-david-moyes-pre-newcastle-press-conference

• Scamacca will be out for a good while longer by the sounds of it, from today's presser:

"We are only just back so we are still getting ourselves together. Hopefully, everybody is okay. The only news is Gianluca Scamacca is due to have an operation on his knee tomorrow."

https://www.whufc.com/news/live-blog-david-moyes-pre-arsenal-press-conference
  • If there was a market for it that I could just click on without needing to put any effort in, I think I'd bet £5 that we never see Scamacca play for West Ham again.
  • It would have been interesting to see him play in a West Ham team that had been able to maintain 6/7th form whilst progressing to a more possession based team. As it is, we're back into defending deep and trying to nick a goal, and Scamacca is as well suited to that as Haller was. Similarly, I can see him doing really well elsewhere.

I also seem to remember reading something before/just after he signed saying he needed careful man management and might not settle if he didn't feel the love; I wonder if that's been a factor especially since he was first injured 🤔🤔🤔?
  • buffy, We don't appear to have a manager who is much good at man management unlike Harry was. He is being turned into Haller Mark 2, no guesses by who.
  • buffy, We don't appear to have a manager who is much good at man management unlike Harry was. He is being turned into Haller Mark 2, no guesses by who.

Arsenal
    Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta on West Ham manager David Moyes, who he played under at Everton: "I think more than respect it’s admiration. I loved playing for him, I would go through a brick wall for him when he was my manager and i think everybody would in that squad. A really good coach. Exceptional at managing the group and dealing with individuals and then a very special person. A really special human being. Very trustworthy and a man who honours his word. He always did it and someone who I learned a lot from. He saw things in me I didn't know and asked me to play in positions I never played before in my life."

Is that the Harry who stabbed Bonzo in the back? 🤔
  • @Slacker, I might be in a very small minority here but still can't understand how Haller was allowed to leave cheaply & go onto be a success at Ajax and now Dortmund when he wasn't with us. Some of the blame has to fall at David Moyes feet.
    IronHerb, Yes the one and the same but he did know how to get the best of out a few maverick players.