Derby County vs West Ham United - FA Cup 4th Round, Monday 30th Jan, 19:45 KO

9 days until our next outing against the Rams at Pride Park.

off the back of West Ham securing their first league win of 2023 West Ham travel to Derby in the 4th round of the FA Cup which has seen a number of premier league sides failing at the first hurdle in the 3rd round.

Can the dream of a Cup run stay alive.

Comments

• Was talking with a friend the other day, and we agreed that a cup run needs you to get through minimum three rounds. Derby + 1 and we’re on a cup run!
  • Get through Derby and another one and we’re in the quarter finals so I think that qualifies.
  • Well IF we do get past Derby there will be a half decent chance of getting a favourable draw and avoiding Premiership opposition in the next round, as a lot of lower league teams playing each other in this round, 7 all lower league ties out of 16. I think the Winner of Sheffield Wednesday and Fleetwood at home is probably the plum draw.Knowing our luck at Present it will be the winner of City Vs Arsenal, away
  • Derby beat Port Vale 2-1 away last night, scoring in the 87th and 89th minutes to extend a 14 game unbeaten streak

The last time they lost was to Liverpool in the Carabao Cup, 0-0 aet 5-4 on penalties.
  • Derby will be confident and this is a real free swing for them. We have some big league concerns and with a number of first team players already injured, there's an obvious risk with putting out our first (available) eleven for this one.

Areola is back training so I expect him to start, but I'm not sure we should risk Aguerd, Rice and Bowen, personally. I'd like to see:

Areola
    Johnson Kehrer Ogbonna
    Ashby Downes Fornals Emerson
    Antonio Mubama Benrahma

With Ogbonna, Emerson, Benrahma and Antonio withdrawn when we're (hopefully) comfortably ahead.

The U18s are flying at the moment and I'd like to see Scarles, Kelly and Marshall on the bench, but I don't think we will. I actually expect Moyes to go full strength with maybe a couple of the U23s named amongst the subs.
  • Derby are 4th in League One so may rest some of their players to protect their position too.
  • I'd expect Lanzini to be playing in this one
  • edited January 2023
    Areola
    Johnson - Kehrer - Aguerd - Cresswell
    Downes - Rice - Lanzini
    Bowen - Antonio - Fornals

Fabianski, Ogbonna, Coufal, Emerson, Coventry, Soucek, Paqueta, Benrahma, Mubama (not sure how many subs you are allowed in FA Cup)
  • IronHerb said:

Derby are 4th in League One so may rest some of their players to protect their position too.

Derby didn't rest many players against Torquay, Newport or Barnsley in the previous rounds so its seems unlikely they'd do so against us but then they don't have much of a squad to rest.

Half a dozen players stayed on after relegation, some journeyman pros signed on free transfers in the summer, a few U21 loans and the rest are kids promoted from the Derby academy.

Almost half the team are aged 30 plus, almost half are aged under 23 with just two players in between and one of them is the goalie.
  • edited January 2023
    Surprisingly this will only be the second time we've played Derby in the FA Cup; the first was very nearly 100 years ago in March 1923 when we beat Derby in the semi-final to reach the first Wembley final.
  • Derby's top scorer this season is 35yo Irish international David McGoldrick (12 in 27 apps), joined on a free in the summer after four seasons with Sheffield United, two in the Premier League and two in the Championship.

He scored for Forest against us in the 4th round of the 2010/11 FA Cup (we won 3-2 with a Victor Obinna hat trick!)
  • Respect the draw
  • Don’t think anyone’s wants that 😂
    Bout time they scraped replays imo with the amount of games that have to be played these days
  • Not sure on that. I’d have settled on a replay at the end of the Blackburn game
  • Jeez I nearly forgot to say. Loss!
  • Got to admit Hamstew but this season your predictions have been mostly spot on.
  • edited January 2023
    Areola, Johnson, Kehrer, Ogbonna ©, Aguerd, Emerson, Souček, Downes, Fornals, Antonio, Bowen
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Coufal, Cresswell, Laing, Rice, Lanzini, Paquetá, Benrahma, Mubama

Looks like 3 at the back again, and Johnson finally gets another start, although I wouldn't say WB is a natural position for him tbh.
  • Rice on the bench is a big mistake imo.
  • edited January 2023
    5 defenders......Safely does it.....
    Think we'll see more like 5 at the back than 3....but in all reality, this game for me is not so
    important as 3 points in the league, but we all have different thoughts and opinions and a win tonight can only be a positive spin moving forward.....
  • No VAR tonight.
  • Away to Man U
  • Why bother tonight then =)
  • What a surprise. Not only Man U but away lol
  • Just great.😟
  • Ah well, less pressure tonight then. Can't believe how often we get drawn away.
  • Guess u have to beat the best teams to get anywhere, but sadly the F A cup plays second fiddle this season… PL safety is all that matters IMO ..Still would love a win tonight to face Man U ⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • Before the draw to the dog-“ You just know we’ll get Man City or Man U away doncha Arch?”

Mystic Slack me.
  • Man Utd. In the cup. Again.

Third season in a row, isn't it?

Ah well, Moyes record away at the big six is... oh, that's right.

Conference League it is then.
  • Last year we went out to Southampton didn’t we.