SOUTHAMPTON (A) SUN OCT 16TH

Well here we are again ,Quick question ,The deaforntion of insanity is i think repeating your mistakes over and over and expecting different results.So my question to you guys is what is the term of doing things over and over and getting them right like the match threads ,I think the word i am looking for is Genius ,but you may come up with something else ,Anyway just something to think about ........Next up those pesky saints need to get a fast start win this and and we move up the table Could also be the end of Ralph Hasenhuttl ,dont like anyone getting the sack well perhaps one or two ,Okay 3 more points and we move on

Comments

• From Moyes's presser, Zouma is improving after "flu-like symptoms" and "hopefully he has a chance" (doesn't sound too optimistic although that's typical Moyes) and Kehrer was left out last night as a "precaution more than anything else"; after Oggy and Daws last night (no update just yet) we might not have any CBs at 100% on Sunday. No wonder he gave Rice a run out there last night 🤔🤔🤔

Cornet definitely out, Antonio a little better (again "flu-like symptoms").
  • Saints must be top of the Premier League for the number of hyphens

Bella-Kotchap
    Carleta-Car
    Maitland-Niles
    Walker-Peters
    Ward-Prowse
  • At this rate, Steve is going to last longer than Kwasi Kwarteng.
  • At this rate, Steve is going to last longer than Kwasi Kwarteng.

That's because he's doing a better job!
  • Steve for Chancellor.

You heard it here first...
  • I like the way you guys think =)
  • Moyes press conference

No news on Oggy's hamstring or Dawson's dead lead

Antonio "a little better" and Zouma "has had the sniffles" but he hopes Kehrer is "going to be fine."

Hasenhuttl press conference

Djenepo is out with illness, Lavia returns to group training next week, Livramento has been out with an ACL since April
  • My team would be:

Areola
    Kehrer Dawson Zouma Cresswell
    Rice Downes Paqueta
    Bowen Scamacca Benrahma

But I'm expecting Fab, Soucek and Fornals for Areola, Downes and Benrahma.
  • I think the back 4 will largely be decided by "last man standing" given the state of our CBs and the fact that Cresswell also went off last night.

Soucek definitely starts and deservably so imo; almost everyone agrees that he's looked better the last few games, and although Downes has looked good in the matches against Anderlecht the standard of the opposition was poor. He's done his reputation no harm at all, but I've not seen anything that suggests he should be replacing Soucek just yet.
  • edited October 2022
    Fabianski
    Johnson - Zouma - Kehrer - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice
    Bowen - Paqueta - Fornals
    Scamacca

Best case is Dawson in for Johnson & Kehrer at RB. I’m sure Zouma will be fine with the ‘sniffles’.
  • Anyone else thinks sniffles is code for Covid but they don’t want to say that out loud?
  • edited October 2022
    Possibly, in which case if Dawson isn’t recovered I’d play Rice at CB & bring in Downes. We can’t be playing Johnson at CB again or go to a back 3 with Kehrer as the central defender, flanked by two full-backs.

The fact Zouma & Dawson weren’t training Friday is a worry. We’ve just settled on a nice back four with Kehrer at RB & now we’ll have to tweak that all.
  • Dawson will play -

• edited October 2022
    Dead legs can take a while to shake off, especially as he’s only had one full 24 hours since.

Ex says Zouma is isolating.
  • edited October 2022
    Fabianski
    Johnson - Dawson - Kehrer - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice
    Scamacca

Areola, Randolph, Coufal, Emerson, Coventry, Downes, Lanzini, Benrahma, Antonio

I think will be the side based on what we know so far. Saints will probably play 4-4-2 so this is going to be open.
  • edited October 2022
    Lukerz said:

Fabianski
    Johnson - Dawson - Kehrer - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice
    Scamacca

Areola, Randolph, Coufal, Emerson, Coventry, Downes, Lanzini, Benrahma, Antonio

I think will be the side based on what we know so far. Saints will probably play 4-4-2 so this is going to be open.

Is Johnson ahead of Coufal at RB in Moyes's mind?
  • I didn't think Johnson had a good game on Thursday, so probably Coufal on Sunday.
  • edited October 2022
    I think a clue to why Saints are struggling is that they have had a different starting XI every match. Only three players have started all nine Premier League games and another two started eight.

Best guess (no. of games)

4-4-2

Bazunu (9)

Walker-Peters (9)
    Bella-Kotchap (8)
    Salisu (8)
    Perraud (4 of the last 5)

?????????
    Ward-Prowse (9)
    Diallo (4 of the last 5)
    ?????????

A Armstrong (7)
    Adams (7)

Fill the ???????? with any two from Elyounoussi, Mara, Aribo, Maitland-Niles, S Armstrong
  • I'd like to see:

Fab
    Johnson Kehrer Dawson Cress
    Rice Downes
    Bowen Paqueta Benrahma
    Scammaca

Centre backs is anyone's guess considering basically all of our centre backs have knocks. Ogbonna's seems the worst out of all of them but who knows!

Subs: Areola, Coufal, Ashby, Zouma, Emerson, Soucek, Fornals, Cornet, Antonio
  • Fabiański, Coufal, Johnson, Kehrer, Cresswell, Rice ©, Souček, Bowen, Paqueta, Emerson, Scamacca
    Subs: Areola, Randolph, Fornals, Antonio, Lanzini, Downes, Ogbonna, Benrahma, Coventry
  • edited October 2022
    Two 'keepers on the bench.

We're back, baby!

Could we not put one of the U23 defenders on the bench? Surely better to have an outfield option instead of Randolph, even if it is one of the kids?
  • edited October 2022
    Looks like 3-4-1-2, with Bowen up with Scamacca?

Fab
    Johnson Kehrer Cresswell
    Coufal Rice Soucek Emerson
    Paqueta
    Bowen Scamacca
  • edited October 2022
    Must admit I'm not overly inspired by a CB pairing of Johnson and Kehrer, but with 4 CBs out with injury or illness (or not match fit) I guess it's better than we would have managed in most seasons gone by. A lot will be asked of the FBs and Rice and Soucek.

Edit: Hadn't spotted Emerson as starting, I think OCS has it right and it's probably 3 at the back.
  • So last week 3/4 of our defence were CB's, one playing RB

Now this week 3/4 of our defence are full back, one playing CB

Don't like that defence at all, is it a back 5 or back 3?
  • Beeb has it as Bowen, Paqueta, Emerson as a 3 behind Scamacca
  • We don’t seem to be able to hold on to the ball for any length of time.
  • Going to be plenty of goals in this game i think. Ball is going from one end of the pitch to the other in 4 passes
  • Another big VAR failure. Clearly a foul throw!
  • Soucek costing us there