SOUTHAMPTON (A) SUN OCT 16TH

Comments

• The last 3 games or so he’s been much better. I think he has to learn to hold the ball for longer & play a pass that keeps us ticking over. So many times yesterday we had acres of space & players in attacking positions & he rushed the pass & we lost it. A bit more composure & we’d have built attacks as when we slowly built play yesterday we actually looked like scoring each time.
  • A big strength of our play this season is our defending. We’ve only conceded 11 goals & 5 of those came in the first 3 games.
  • MOTD surprised the ref didn’t stop for a drop ball for their goal. Said the laws don’t state he must unless it hits him but from an integrity perspective it was surprising he didn’t stop play.
  • Blimey the knives are out on social media for Moyes aren’t they?
    It’s really depressing to see our “fans” behaving like Chelsea.
  • Slacker said:

Blimey the knives are out on social media for Moyes aren’t they?
    It’s really depressing to see our “fans” behaving like Chelsea.

Coufal also. He's had to delete a tweet as some twonks went at him.
  • I genuinely don't know why any players or managers have public social media accounts.

Nothing good comes of it.
  • Lukerz said:

The last 3 games or so he’s been much better. I think he has to learn to hold the ball for longer & play a pass that keeps us ticking over. So many times yesterday we had acres of space & players in attacking positions & he rushed the pass & we lost it. A bit more composure & we’d have built attacks as when we slowly built play yesterday we actually looked like scoring each time.

There’s a fine line between this and what Benrahma or Lanzini do waiting for that option and then getting surrounded and being seen as a dawdling.

Our attackers all have quite good individual capabilities but it’s pretty rare that there’s good movement, especially once a defence is set.
  • MrsGrey said:

I genuinely don't know why anyone players or managers have public social media accounts.

Fixed it.
  • If I was a player, I most definitely wouldn't have Twitter as it's a cesspit.
  • MrsGrey said:

I genuinely don't know why anyone players or managers have public social media accounts.

Fixed it.
    This is basically a social media website
  • edited October 2022

MrsGrey said:

Fixed it.
    Is it? I think of forums as very different to social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and whatever else is out there.

Forums are much more an exchange of ideas and discussions, usually amongst people brought together by a common interest; my impression of "social media" is more that it's people going "Look at me" (note: I don't do social media at all).
  • edited October 2022
    There is some vile stuff that goes on on things such as Twitter. But in my experience there is some extremely good stuff also.
  • Lukerz. Re Parqueta, I think it's more of players around him anticipating his passes and moving quickly rather than him slowing down play. It will take time to get everyone on the same wavelength.
  • MrsGrey said:

Fixed it.
    Is it? I think of forums as very different to social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and whatever else is out there.

Forums are much more an exchange of ideas and discussions, usually amongst people brought together by a common interest; my impression of "social media" is more that it's people going "Look at me" (note: I don't do social media at all).
    Forums are basically the earlier version of social media - all of that stuff you like about forums happens on the more popular social media sites and a lot of the negatives happen on some of the other forums. It’s the same thing, people connecting on a shared digital space.

Twitter is often used by activists to get out images of important events, by academics or journalists to explain or report on things even when they don’t have a big platform. Facebook is used to find missing people or coordinate support for people who need help in a neighbourhood. Even Instagram and TikTok, which are probably the most “me” focused ones, have their uses. No social media site is just one thing, they have their own sub-streams where people find their interests
  • edited October 2022
    Arguably it is social media, but it's private, not public. For me, that makes a difference.

( It's why I'm happy to use it. Same with FB which I restrict as well. I'd no more open myself up to the criticisms of a million strangers than I would stand on a box at Hyde park corner and invite passers by to chuck veg at me.)

With reference to what you posted just before, outcast, I agree twitter can be useful. But you can turn off comments and so on.

That's really what I was alluding to in my original post about social media.
  • The purpose of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok et al is to make money for their owners/shareholders, anything else is purely incidental. IMO of course.
  • That's the purpose of the owners.
    The users may have a different purpose.
  • I'm not here to defend the companies (in fact, I have a lot of problems with their use of algorithms), my point is only that, essentially, forums are also social media platforms and many people go to those social media sites for the same reasons that people come here. I just think that's something to keep in mind when judging ordinary people who use them.

For players and managers, who don't really use them to engage in conversations much, I think there is a serious question about whether they really benefit from it all (I suspect it's purely for the commercial aspect).
  • The purpose of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok et al is to make money for their owners/shareholders, anything else is purely incidental. IMO of course.

And you think MrsGrey isn't living it large on the WHU606 money?
  • #SideHustle 💰
  • alderz said:

The purpose of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok et al is to make money for their owners/shareholders, anything else is purely incidental. IMO of course.

She's buying in London. I think this alone proves your theory.
  • alderz said:

The purpose of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok et al is to make money for their owners/shareholders, anything else is purely incidental. IMO of course.

She's buying in London. I think this alone proves your theory.
    Fixed it for yah =)
  • alderz said:

I must have missed something - WHU606 generates revenue? Who'd'a thunk it with such a small membership.
    MrsGrey buying in London only makes me question her sanity. Oh well, each to ones own.
  • alderz said:

I must have missed something - WHU606 generates revenue? Who'd'a thunk it with such a small membership.
    Secret fines for anyone who mentions a transfer rumour going around Twitter. Quickly adds up.
  • alderz said:

Secret fines for anyone who mentions a transfer rumour going around Twitter. Quickly adds up.
    Puns are chargeable, too.

Absolutely raking it in.
  • alderz said:

Puns are chargeable, too.

Absolutely raking it in.
    Absolutely, we all fork out =)
  • That's £10 please Expat, payable to the treasurer (Mrs Grey)
  • I put a dollar in a jar every time I mention Liverpool or Jurgen Klopp

#Doh! $2
  • Bazshuayi said:

I put a dollar in a jar every time I mention Liverpool or Jurgen Klopp

#Doh! $2

Wow, must be a very big jar. 😂🤣😂
  • I'm running out of space to park my yachts...