Silkeborg (A) Europa Conference Thursday 15th September 8pm ko BT Sport 2

Last time FCSB had their game cancelled to allow them to prepare for their match against us and now we have been given the weekend off before our next European match

Our away fans will be feeling a bit of deja vu as they travel to Denmark for the second time in three weeks.

This is Silkeborg's first European football since 2001 when they were knocked out of the 1st round of the UEFA cup by Real Zaragoza. They finished third in the Superliga last season, currently 4th, They play AGF (5th) at home tomorrow but they've not won since 21 August

I'll Google a bit more later (got to go drive a train)

Comments

• Silkeborg have been a bit of a yo-yo team with four of the last 10 seasons in the second tier and were promoted back to the Superliga in 2021

They have an Icelandic international midfielder, Stefán Teitur Thórdarson, and a couple of Danish U21s but apart from that nothing notable about the squad

Ahhhhhh at last something to get my teeth into

They wear red so their nickname is "The Reds" but also "The Red Eyes" and indeed one of their chants boasts of drinking 20 litres of beer in one go. My kinda fans!

They like big banners - sadly not a Smurf like Genk

My favourite

And their mascot appears to be an otter, maybe a beaver?

• It could be Punxsutawny Phil.
  • It could be Punxsutawny Phil.

Not again.
  • Nah I'm definitely getting an otter vibe with this one

Sikleborg is in the Sohojinlandet region, Denmark's lake district, and there are a lot of otters in those lakes
  • Otter madness 😳
  • If it was really,really freezing cold,which animal would you choose to be?
    Me? A little otter.

As you were
  • The Danish for otter, oddly, is "odder".
    Cue a fresh stream of puns. ;)
  • Ah, that would explain Stefan Wonderssohn’s hit “ Odder than July “.
  • Pull the odder one, it's got bells on.
  • edited September 2022
    This is ridiculous. Is there a Modder on here?
  • Its going to be busy in Denmark this week, tomorrow FC Copenhagen are at home to Sevilla in the Champions League and on Thursday FC Midtjylland - 40 miles west of Silkeborg - are hosting Lazio in the Europa League (5:45pm ko)

By the weekend Copenhagen airport could be suffering a serious beer shortage
  • Most West Ham will fly into Aarhus or Aalborg and possibly Billund which are all a lot closer than Copengagen.
  • Various rumours about Cornet being unavailable but when you follow the links it turns out to be pure speculation based on nothing more than him going off against FCSB after colliding with the keeper

On the official website there are photos of Cornet, Soucek and Cresswell training today

Shoddy journalism
  • This game is on an artificial pitch so I’d like us to come through it without injuries
  • Have we been training on an artificial pitch to prepare for Thursday? Can anyone remember us getting turned over by QPR @ Loftus Road when they had one?
  • How can that be? Doesn’t Uefa have natural grass rule?
  • I think there are plastic pitches at Chadwell Heath.
  • IronHerb said:

I think there are plastic pitches at Chadwell Heath.

The horror of it all.
  • Its going to be busy in Denmark this week, tomorrow FC Copenhagen are at home to Sevilla in the Champions League and on Thursday FC Midtjylland - 40 miles west of Silkeborg - are hosting Lazio in the Europa League (5:45pm ko)

By the weekend Copenhagen airport could be suffering a serious beer shortage

There otter be some left, no? (seriously thinking of deleting this but apparently not seriously enough)
  • They’re using a MX Ultimate artificial grass installed this year. It meets FIFA and EUFA requirements. The ball apparently runs and bounces true and fast which should suit us. It’s the going to ground bit I’d be bothered about if it’s anything like the original type.
    We used to regularly get stuffed when playing on artificial, remember 6-0 at Oldham, beaten at QPR and Luton too.
  • To be fair, we used to regularly get stuffed whatever the pitch was made of
  • Various rumours about Cornet being unavailable but when you follow the links it turns out to be pure speculation based on nothing more than him going off against FCSB after colliding with the keeper

On the official website there are photos of Cornet, Soucek and Cresswell training today

Shoddy journalism

There’s a first.

• edited September 2022
    Artificial pitches have come a long way since the 80s, those were first generation, the latest ones are sixth generation aka 6G

They're cheaper to maintain and aren't susceptible to weather conditions i.e. cold, wet countries have them because there's too much water and hot, dry countries have them because there's not enough water

And when they roll out 7G pitches Bill Gates will control football through microchips injected into the players' boots
  • I thought 7G was when you can say "Beam me up Scotty", and he does.🤔
  • No, they've had that, we're moving on to the Next Generation.
  • Reminds me of only fools and horses where Del and Rodney were trying to impress some girls by making out they were an airline pilot and a pro footballer. One of the girls asks Rodney if he preferred grass or astro-turf and Rodney says “I don’t know, I’ve never smoked astro-turf”.
  • I played at Kenilworth Road with an inch of snow over astroturf (early nineties?) absolutely brutal but I managed to bag a couple of goals so happy days.
  • 5G is pretty good to play on but I do doubt 6G has solved a major problem of playing on plastic...they better hold back on the slide tackles.
  • Confirmed that Dawson, Cresswell and Cornet all travel, Johnson still on the sick list