Silkeborg (A) Europa Conference Thursday 15th September 8pm ko BT Sport 2

1235»

Comments

• edited September 2022
    We talk about subs changing the game, but we managed to do it for the worst. Bowen, Benrahma and Soucek took as a few steps back. A win is a win, but it was far from comfortable.

Too many passengers in the second half tonight. Seriously need to step our performances up over 90 minutes.
  • Ugly 2nd half. Downes me at have a niggle surely
  • What's the opposite of "Impact Subs"? That's what we had today.
  • Very poor last 20 minutes from us there. Took it easy and thought it was a done deal way too early.

But happily, we win.
  • Much more stressful second half than it should have been.
  • Very poor last 20 minutes from us there. Took it easy and thought it was a done deal way too early.

I thought it was a very poor last 45 minutes!
  • I had to open a 2nd bottle of wine .talk about stress .
  • Did our best to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory. No idea why we went to sleep in the second half and invited Silkeborg to attack. We showed no ambition, no killer instinct and were lucky not be punished. These games are bad for the ticker.
  • DM should have told them to go & win the second half which we clearly didn't.
  • Up until the 70th minute we didn’t have to break sweat. They just played around in their own half but when we got the ball we tried to be too clever by half and made a mess of it every time but were never in danger. Then we made an almighty mess of a corner and they scored and left us hanging on in a panic for the rest of the game.
  • steve said:

I had to open a 2nd bottle of wine .talk about stress .

You should do what I do and buy 1.5 litre bottles. No stress then
    😂
  • oh well 6points .On to Everton
  • We badly missed Scamacca's hold up play when he came off. Can understand Moyes not wanting to risk Antonio, but Bowen, Benrahma and Cornet were dreadful in that final half hour.

The sole purpose of these group games is to get through with limited impact on our PL games, so in that respect it was a good enough result, but we still have a long way to go reach the levels of previous seasons.
  • For once I agree with Keown. He said the three subs seemed to send a message that the game was over and to ease off.
  • Bowen to come on to play up front was pointless

Thought we were poor for most the game
  • I didn’t notice the slight double kick for the penalty. I wonder if VAR would have disallowed it as I reckon it would have taken them some time to view it.
    We need Carlton on VAR for our games as he didn’t see it and he saw a definite shove on Areola for their disallowed equaliser.
  • 5 at the back is not the way forward
  • I got up at 3am to watch, and I think I was more awake than our team. Their first goal was an exercise in passing through a set of traffic cones, and Bowen was the only player who tried (and failed) to defend the breakaway second goal.
    It seems we have no luck in the EPL but all the luck in Europe. It's like Snakes and Ladders.
    But Scamacca's goal was smashing, and we have Dawson back: two reasons to be cheerful.
  • edited September 2022
    Bit weird putting Bowen up front when Antonio was available.🤷🏻‍♂️I would’ve thought he would have been perfect to bully tiring defenders.
    Hey ho we won so it all turned out ok .
  • Slacker said:

Bit weird putting Bowen up front when Antonio was available.🤷🏻‍♂️I would’ve thought he would have been perfect to bully tiring defenders.

Tbf it was game management gone wrong

Like Moyes obviously was being cautious about our upcming schedule/injuries and must have been fairly confident of the win or he wouldn't have brought off Rice (has he ever taken off Rice before?)

Antonio is looking sharp this season so he starts at the weekend so can see why he wasn't risked

But yea....almost backfired

6/6 point is what is important, looks like we have one foot in the knockout stages, a win over Anderlecht and we could potentially rest some players in the final games of the group
  • Slacker said:

I think all of the subs were a bit weird, to be honest. Asking Bowen and Benrahma to replace Scamacca and Paqueta was never likely to work; they're very different players. And I would have thought Downes would have been the better choice to replace Rice given his skill set is closer to Rice's than Soucek's is.

If we win the group then this game is forgotten, but I do still find some of Moyes decisions baffling.
  • Can see Moyes was thinking. Asking Antonio to play on an artificial pitch is not the one.
  • I really liked what Scamacca offered in this game. Thought his hold up play was, generally, a level above & him being replaced was one of the reasons for the late pressure.