Aston Villa Sunday 2pm (not on TV)

Comments

• Lanzini is just so good.

Yeah he’s looking good today
  • Fornals is so far out of form at the moment.
  • I don’t really understand our attacking mids. So much talent but they just never seem to do anything. Fornals is quiet again and Benrahma did a couple of nice things early on but has now been invisible for 15 minutes.
  • Is it my imagination or does Johnson make a lot of foul throws but never gets caught. He quite often seems to lift one foot off the ground.
  • We’ve done alright here so far.
  • Sounds like the usual tripe from our front line.

I think Antonio and Benrahma have both done well.

Also, ‘usual tripe’ is pretty harsh - we’ve scored in every home game this season (according to comms)
  • Seems as though Rice is holding with Soucek given license to get forward, as we tended to play last season; we look so much better this way imo.

I think we’ve done absolutely fine and looked dangerous.
  • We’ve done alright here so far.

I think it’s been a pretty good game, two fairly well matched teams.
  • I haven't seen any if the game, just going by what's been said on here hahaha
  • It’s somewhere in the middle. Most of our players look good today. We’ve played well and it’s a competitive game. Benrahma, Fornals and Antonio haven’t been bad, they’ve been decent, but we need a little more from them.
  • Just to add, most of our dangerous play has been the full backs crossing, souceks runs or Lanzinis passing. Not the attacking three.
  • Just to add, most of our dangerous play has been the full backs crossing, souceks runs or Lanzinis passing. Not the attacking three.

I think Benrahma and Antonio running with the ball has been way more dangerous than the crossing so far.
  • Close game with the quality in the final 3rd lacking for both teams

But good game this for a 0-0

Once again, incredibly frustrating we seem to play with 10 men as we always have minimum one winger who struggles to get into the game, this time its Fornals

It's subtle, but putting lanzini has made us move into a 433 formation and think we have been better for it, look a lot more balanced

Just need the wingers to step up and show some quality
  • Benrahma is not good enough
  • edited March 2022
    Did I catch a glimpse of Mings grabbing Fabianski to stop him taking that throw?
  • Lukerz said:

Benrahma is not good enough

He's frustrating as he has some ability, but he also makes a lot of poor decisions and loose passes.
  • Johnson also needs to open his body up when he receives a pass so he can advance down the line, he just closes up & can only go back
  • Should never have bought the sully special
  • edited March 2022
    MrsGrey said:

Did I catch a glimpse of Mings grabbing Fabianski to stop him taking that throw?

There was an incident quite early on when Fabianski was definitely blocked off by a Villa player to stop a quick throw, I thought it was by Watkins but may have been mistaken. Equally, it could be it's happened more than once and is a definite ploy by Villa.

They certainly seem to have picked up Gerrard's Liverpool entitlement of going down very easily and expecting to be given something. Really not liking them on this showing.
  • Luiz was behind Lanzini when Lanzini started to raise his foot for the ball. How can he avoid him?
  • MrsGrey said:

There was an incident quite early on when Fabianski was definitely blocked off by a Villa player to stop a quick throw, I thought it was by Watkins but may have been mistaken.
    The time that Mings grabbed him Watkins also tried to block him. Watkins has done it every time Fabs had the ball
  • alderz said:

Just to add, most of our dangerous play has been the full backs crossing, souceks runs or Lanzinis passing. Not the attacking three.

I think Benrahma and Antonio running with the ball has been way more dangerous than the crossing so far.
    I can only remember one cross whipped in from Cresswell. The rest are just floated in.
  • I forget how much I dislike this current Villa crop until we play them.
  • Frustrating

Nice stuff between both boxes but toothless in the area that counts, which has been the case since the window closed to be fair
  • MrsGrey said:

Watkins has also done that a couple of times.
  • I think Cresswell is carrying an injury, he has elected to not cross several times & he is also off corner duty as Fornals is taking the side he normally takes
  • If Villa players would stop falling over ,it night be a good game
  • Watkins & Ings constantly trying to buy cheap fouls