Aston Villa Sunday 2pm (not on TV)

edited March 2022 in Match Threads
35 hours, 30 minutes until our next match and no one seems to want to start the thread so having taken one for the team by starting the Liverpool thread 3-2-1 I'm back in the room

Moyes confirmed in his press conference that Bowen isn't available

Last time we played Villa Dean Smith was in charge but now Stevie G is in the dugout and they are a lot tougher prospect.

Coutinho has been key

Gerrard has been in charge for 17 matches

Before Coutinho P9 W4 D0 L5 GF8 GA10
With Coutinho P8 W4 D2 L2, GF15 GA7

Playing "in the hole" behind Watkins and Ings as a front tow Coutinho has scored 4 and provided 5 assists so either Rice or Soucek is going to have to man mark Coutinho and keep him out of the game

Comments

• edited March 2022
    I think, with the run of form they are on, most neutrals are going to back Villa, especially coming off of our travelling to Spain in midweek. No doubt only had a couple of very light training sessions by the time this game comes round.

Fabianski
    Johnson - Dawson - Zouma - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice
    Vlasic - Lanzini - Fornals
    Antonio
  • Villa flying, 3 big wins in a row...but then again two loses back to back before that

Interesting to see how our energy levels are, that's the biggest worry for us

Think it'll be tight, can deffo get a result here but it'll be tricky
  • Villa played Leeds on Thursday so they've had about as much time between matches as we have

Lawro says 1-1. Oh dear...
  • This is a tough one to call .Do we rest one or two ,Trouble is we really need the 3 points Think we should play our strongest 11.
  • No rest for one or two... Moyes will flog the same players to death after not adding anyone in January. Oops wrong thread ;)
  • It must be a game he can give Perkins or Oko Flex a start.

In my view he must rest Antonio or al least only an appearance, he should give Diop a start in place of Zouma and let Noble start for Rice, even Kral for Soucek but clearly not going to happen.

It's the biggest game for many years on Thursday we must give ourselves every chance.
  • edited March 2022

It must be a game he can give Perkins or Oko Flex a start.

In my view he must rest Antonio or al least only an appearance, he should give Diop a start in place of Zouma and let Noble start for Rice, even Kral for Soucek but clearly not going to happen.

It's the biggest game for many years on Thursday we must give ourselves every chance.

Villa are on a roll, they have won three in a row, (Brighton, Saints, Leeds), kept three clean sheets and scored nine.

They certainly aren't the ideal opponents to experiment with some of the kids unless we've given up any hope of finishing in the top six.
  • edited March 2022
    Looking at Villa, they play a diamond formation with Coutinho just behind Ings & Watkins.

I think I’d match this up today, especially with a lack of a natural wide right player:

Fabianski
    Johnson - Dawson - Zouma - Cresswell
    Noble
    Soucek - Rice
    Lanzini
    Benrahma - Antonio

Part of me is tempted to bring Noble in for Fornals to just sit between the CBs.
  • Really excited and looking forward to this - haven't actually been to a game since before the pandemic. Appreciate the importance of Thursday but really hope they put out a decent side and turn in a good performance.
    COME ON YOU IRONS.
  • ASLEF, IMHO we are playing for seventh.
  • This is a huge week for the Hammers. Three wins and we'd be in an unbelievable position.
    We are definitely in the race for 5th/6th place with 7th as a nice fall back position. We must go strong in all three games, no time for messing around.

COYI
  • Really excited and looking forward to this - haven't actually been to a game since before the pandemic. Appreciate the importance of Thursday but really hope they put out a decent side and turn in a good performance.
    COME ON YOU IRONS.

Hope you enjoy your return!
  • edited March 2022
    Fabianski
    Johnson Dawson Zouma Cresswell
    Soucek Rice Lanzini
    Benrahma Antonio Fornals

Yarmo back on the bench for this one.
  • No Vlasic anywhere
  • how good would it be if Yarmo came on and got the winner
  • Strong, if not predictable line up. Moyes has to go strong in the league otherwise we'll probably miss out on Europe for next season. But then he risks players for our game on Thursday. Bit of a Catch 22 situation really.

I would imagine Rice will be tasked to man-mark Coutinho and let Soucek threaten the Villa box. Need a big performance from the forwards today; laws of averages dictate they'll have to start firing at some point. This would be a great week for it to happen.
  • He’s not done anything (yet) but I really don’t like Steven Gerrard
  • Some nice work from Cresswell and Benrahma leads to a decent effort from us
  • Some class from Benrahma there in the box to get off a shot

Lots of space down the wings for us with Villa having a narrow midfield
  • Nearly gave one away there
  • I like Lanzini in as the third centre midfielder. He’s got some real bite in him.

Benrahma looks really up for this
  • Fornals HAS to play Johnson in there
  • Bright start from both teams.
    Fornals needs to hit the target from that position.
  • Terrible shot from fornals, Mile's wide

Not good enough at all

He really needs to do more with goals/Assists
  • Digne off for Young. That’s probably a good thing for us, Digne’s very dangerous
  • Good block form Soucek after a mistake by Dawson almost let them in
  • Poor defensive header from Dawson, Watkins appears to be in, but Soucek comes out of nowhere to make a great block
  • Soucek will get praise for his block there but it was him who needlessly gave the ball away by not playing the way he was facing. Basic stuff.
  • Lanzini is just so good.