Tony Carr

Comments

• He was offered his current role at one day a week and chose redundancy.
  • According to an ITK on kumb who I believe is confirmed as Tony Carrs son the deed was done by Karen Brady, so we can't even blame random HR people.

This really leaves a sour taste

The whole situation stinks of Brady
  • alderz said:

Whilst I obviously do not agree with this, if true, I have some issues with some of the comments on this thread.

Suggesting the owners are stripping the old West Ham away by doing things like moving stadium (which lots of people are excited about and support) and selling James Tomkins (which most people agree with the right decision) is strange, IMO.

Obviously aimed at me. What do you find strange about my comments?

- Olympic Stadium. ST holder + 2 mates can get a seasom ticket. Leaving thousands of real fans on the list for £10 whilst Barry from down the road who supports Leyton Orient can get one because his mate Bill can get him one.

That's the club underestimating the fans.

- Selling fan favourite, West Ham youth product, fan - maybe necessary but upsetting.

- Kit launch - embarrassing. Trying to make us 'corporate'.

- Tony Carr. One of the biggest legends the club has had. 43 years he's been with us, player and coach. He's made the club millions. To simply discard him is shocking.

I just get the feeling; because we've got this big fancy stadium the owners feel they can start fresh and start their own club.
  • Nothing new about this kind of treatment. Have just finished reading a two page
    center spread in the Sun newspaper, about Bobby Moore, who was the only Englishman to ever lift the World Cup in 1966. The F A instead of using him as
    an Ambassador for the sport, he was left to rot, until he died of bowel and liver
    cancer aged just 51 in 1993.
  • Twist - while I agree with your sentiment and share you suspicions I don't think Barry who supports Leyton Orient would want a West Ham season ticket, most Os fans don't like us. Or Arsenal. Or Spurs. Or any other London club to be honest.....
  • West Ham didnt treat Bobby right either, he was even refused admission once in the late 70s
  • Twist

Not sure why you are making the assumption that +2s aren't real fans? ;hmm

It does seem as thought the Carr issue was not dealt with sensitively, but he was offered the chance to continue his role on a part-time basis.
  • edited July 2016
    So he was dealt with by HR - shocking, why didn't the Owners deal with it? Oh, he was dealt with by Brady - shocking way to treat him. Give him a job for life and all the riches that go with it - so now we are a charity? Football isn't in the real world - employee made redundant from ambassadorial job
    which happens in the real world and you don't get yo have a testimonial either.
    And how Tomkins being sold, Slavs decision I expect, the stadium move, and the price of fish has anything to do with this is beyond me.
  • Chest feel lighter now, Herb? ;wink
  • Grey, re. the +2 fans, im sure many will be real fans. But a lot won't. ;ok
  • Agree with this video from West Ham Fan TV: (a couple of swear words in it)

• Sorry, Twist, I have no idea how you come to the conclusion that 'a lot' of +2s will not be real fans.
  • Shockingly poor treatment of a fantastic man. Surely, WHU are media savvy to know that this would attract negative publicity. Why does WHU treat its heroes badly? I still remember the reports which said that the late Bobby Moore was asked to buy a ticket to watch West Ham. Someone with access to twitter should ask Gold and Sullivan to explain
  • Sorry, Twist, I have no idea how you come to the conclusion that 'a lot' of +2s will not be real fans.

We've had this sort of discussion many times, Grey. Don't think will ever agree on the subject ;ok
  • Twist

Well, unless you can provide any reasonable evidence for your assertion, I'm certainly not going to agree with you!
  • Will be interesting what the club come out with. Can't ignore it surely
  • edited July 2016
    ExWHU says there's more to this than is being shown in the press. Wait until full details are out before throwing the book at the Dave's.
  • Chest feel lighter now, Herb? ;wink

Yep.

Our club is so poor I just don't understand why everyone on here supports it. So quick to give it a kicking
  • IronHerb - I think you're confusing the club with the board and they really aren't the same thing.
  • http://www.claretandhugh.info/tony-carr-pay-off-talks-not-at-an-end/

Although handled badly I don't think Carr has done too bad out of the club if these figures are right
  • Herb

Mind where you're brushing with that tar!
  • Money isn't everything

• Something dodgy going on with Terry Westley... ;hmm
  • Carr has had a testimonial, when Zola was manager and it was great.

I stand by my earlier statement that this one act makes us just any other club.

• It's not about the money.......

He's earned some good dough over the years, it's about the way it's been handled.

Give him a life title, keep him involved in some way or another, he's been responsible for so much over the years. Offered to take a pay cut when relegated.

This has Brady written all over it for me.

I'll applaud the owners when they do good work, which they have, in the main, but these PR disasters get what they deserve, flack and noise.

Of course the negotiations aren't over, but I'm guessing they would've been, had there of not been a backlash.

IMO
  • ExWHU says there's more to this than is being shown in the press. Wait until full details are out before throwing the book at the Dave's.

But why let facts get in the way when this is a great chance to abuse the owners/club? ;whistle
  • Herb

Mind where you're brushing with that tar!

Fair enough.

Strike 'everyone' and replace with 'a lot'.

Tar disposed of. ;ok
  • Slizzy , agree with all of that ;ok
  • Ta-ta tar!

Ta! ;ok
  • He was offered a role that would have kept him at the club but decided to leave. His lucrative 2-year contract is coming to a to an end. He had had a testimonial where he made a lot of money.
    He is past the retirement age. I assume (and sincerely hope) that he has a fairly lucrative company pension that he can now pull.
    He has been very well compensated for his service.
    We are a business not a charity.

Unlike some previous episodes I don't think this was a PR nightmare of our own making. Someone leaked this story, probably from Mr. Carr's side.