Full confidence in our professional refs

12346»

Comments

• edited April 2016
    I don't have strong views either way - but if the refs were asked to give reasons for their decisions after the event, I think it should be a written statement, rather than a public Q+A.

If it were done as a press conference-type thing, I think there should be no follow-up questions. Imagine if a question is asked about (say) why he awarded a penalty. Ref answers. That's it - asked and answered. No good disagreeing and wrangling and arguing he got it wrong, recriminations and accusations etc. The press conferences would take hours as every decision would be questioned, and we have the 'well if you gave that why didn't you give the other thing at the other end as it was worse/the same/just like one you gave in the match last week/just like the one AN Other ref gave in the match elsewhere......

I reckon that's why the PL/FA won't ever put the refs out to the press. It would be a shambles. They could maybe release the refs match reports, or something like that.
  • The refs are human, they make mistskes but they need help.

The game has too much money and too much at stake and open to a global audience.

They probably go home and evaluate themselves anyway, cringe at some of the mistskes they made.

John Moss should be doing that today when he sees Carroll taking the ball and it was nothing more than a coming together.

There again he did this to us last year when someone was desperate
  • Ketih Hackett shouting the odds on the Beeb about Moss having a 'mare in our game.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/35720533 from 13:43

Keith Hackett!

Pontificating about poor reffing?

In a game involving us?

;angry ;angry ;angry
  • You calling me a twonk, GH? ;angry

;whistle ;lol ;lol ;lol
  • If the governing bodies would genuinely tell the referees to apply the rules including showing dissent, intimidation and foul and abusive language I think there would be a massive improvement overnight.

It would need to be flagged up to the clubs well in advance. It could lead to some red cards initially and would require some nerve from refs. The governing bodies would have to back them too.

After a short while the advantage would be clearly gained by the teams that respected the ref and played by the rules.

At the moment there are clear advantages to cheating, simulation, intimidation so teams continue to do it. Whilst that is the case the job is almost impossible for the refs and will lead to more incorrect decisions and disputes imo.

This season we seem to have had the rough end of the stick. Of course we are biased and probably only look for the times when we were hard done by. We are less likely to analyse the times when we may have gained an advantage incorrectly.
  • this has been done Deanscale and we are at the bottom of the table for wrong decision
  • edited April 2016
    The only trouble with having the refs apply the laws to the letter is they'll have to have 24-hour round the clock protection from angry fans. ;biggrin
  • pathman

I don't think it has been done scientifically.

For me, if you wanted to trust the data, you'd need a panel of qualified refs to watch each game, with an agreed list of what would count as 'referrable', and for a decision to be seen as wrong, they would need to be all in agreement, effectively identifying genuine errors in law or interpretation, rather than shades of interpretation.

What that site works on is a 3/5 'Well I reckon' majority, and there is no indication of the panel's qualifications to make such judgements, nor any criteria for how they decide what to look at.

With such a complete absence of methodology or proof of qualification, its hard to give their findings too much credence.
  • NE - You could be right! I guess I watch Rugby and have an irrational hope that Football could be similar. Maybe it has gone too far and we can't reverse the trend?
  • Why can't refs just use a certain amount of commonsense?

They don't help themselves......and the authorities seem to be happy to let them take the flack

Either get them help......or replace them with better and hold them accountable properly for a job that earns them a decent salary.
  • edited July 2016
    Much stricter response to players disputing decisions or verbally abusing officials:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36844570

This is good to see, but please, can they do something about the MMA defending in the penalty area?

I agree that officials should be treated with respect, but if I could change one thing in football, being nasty to officials wouldn't be top of my agenda.
  • To be fair, it would be top of my agenda as, if something as common as holding and pulling in the penalty area is to be punished, the referees will be copping the flak. Now if you first adress the way the players can adress the referee (or can't) then it makes life for them a lot easier.

But just so I understand these new rules properly, does that mean that Rooney will be booked next time he comes to the ref for a cuddle? ;)

• I think in those situations it would be probably be let go.

I must admit, I noticed a lot more contact between players and refs last season, with many players putting a hand on the refs.

I think if it is at the start of an incident, they should get booked according to the laws, whereas I can see a situation where a captain pats the ref to say fair enough, and that not being punished.
  • edited July 2016
    Good to see fans taking a keen interest in the laws of the game, and making sure they understand them before posting a comment that would make them look a right twerp:
    James Pinsker: So if a referee gets jogged into mid-match when in the way of a player, the player gets a yellow card! Absolute rubbish!
    From BBC Sportsday

Think that deserves a bit of an old ;doh