The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• Claretandbluesky - you sound like a reasonable and honest individual.

Would like to get your take on a few things:

Had there been a 'slender majority' in favour of remaining would you still be arguing that 'it was only advisory' and could be legitimately impeded by an 'individual' bringing a high court action?

Mind if I weigh in on this one, as a firm remainer? I would still have expected it to be discussed however I would have expected a marginal remain vote to actually hold more weight due to it being a vote for no change.

A vote to change something, generally speaking, is usually examined far more thoroughly in business and in most peoples lives, than an agreement to keep things as they are. That doesn't mean no investigation/discussion, just less of one imo.

• Mike, for myself, I think it is fantastic that the govt can be held to account by ordinary people through a legal process. Nobody is above the law, and nobody is beneath it - a great thing to be able to say about a society imo.

I am not bothered by her stated or unstated motives. Or allegations or insinuation abdout what they might or might not have been.

Or who paid (initially, since now the costs will largely have to be borne by the losing side.) And how much of it came from 1 person, and how much from crowdfunding via named or anonymous donations.

I'm completely unbothered about who didn't get involved with it, and why.

Finally, on the matter of it being only advisory - nobody has to argue anything, as it is not a matter of opinion. Rather it is a matter of fact, as under current UK law a referendum is not legally binding unless the statute which puts it in place expressly says that it will be binding. Which this one didn't. So it isn't.

• Touching on Mikes question I will admit it has frustrated me at how much people have tried to prevent/over turn the result before even seeing what the final outcome is.

However having read up on this more this afternoon I now actually think that this could be a blessing as if the MP's and then the Lords do pass an act of parliament to go ahead with the triggering of article 50 then it completely takes away the argument that it was undemocratic.

Also with regards to a snap election being called, given that 70% of Labour constituencies voted with a majority leave it will be either very brave, or very catastrophic for them to go against that. Of course they may pick up new voters who don't want to leave, but given that the majority of remain votes came in the cities are there enough seats there to outweigh the leaves in the rural areas?

• edited November 2016
    If you step away from the whole EU issue, and all the arguments on both sides of THAT , you have the essence of the question being this:

Can the govt remove existing legal rights and protections from UK citizens on their own authority, just because they want to (for whatever reason).

The High Court looked at the law, and said NO.

Parliament is the only body authorised to do that.

Personally, that makes me very happy.
  • Iron Mike - Thanks for writing so politely as I think that is so important but sometimes gets lost when discussing such divisive issues. This is a really good thread and there are good points being made on both sides. I certainly recognise and have total respect for the leave view when made with facts and not buses, some of my friends make a fantastic and articulate case for leaving.

In response - I think had there been a slender majority for remain it would still have been advisory but there would be no aftermath as nothing would need be done as we would proceed as before. No case could have been brought that we should actually be leaving due to the referendum only being advisory as it would be clear that for subsequent change govt would need pass an act, which would need debating and voting for. In theory a general election victor could trigger article 50 after a vote in parliament even had remain won, but either way the point is the UK decides it's course through parliament. We don't actually need referendum to leave but we do need parliament and the lords as they are how our democracy has always worked. Referendum is essentially how parliament gauge the publics wishes, and why parliament may still vote fro brexit.

Challenging the Govt by an individual should be open to all as the Govt have a duty to apply the laws to themselves and this is what was being brought into question, the case was about needing parliament to repeal the 1972?. If a member of the public cannot apply for the laws to be upheld we may as well not have laws.

I don't think it strange that it was not a high profile complainant as the matter is so political and has been from the start.

I would imagine she is backed by some wealthy individuals using her case for their own ends to hopefully get an outcome that they prefer. But this is what everyone has done and does as money is power at these times, Ukip or at least the leave campaign was bankrolled quite heavily by Aaron Banks I believe because he hopes for a specific outcome, the newspapers supported Boris and Gove for their preferred outcome and someone is backing these claimants for their own interests.

I am not sure why the are seek to remain anonymous, it could be political or simply personal safety as I am sure this lady is looking over her shoulder at present, very sadly.

Ultimately there is a process and all the law courts have said today is that this process must be followed, the referendum did not trump due process of parliament and law. It has not reversed brexit in any way at all, just asked for it to take it's rightful place within the process rather than swallow up the whole process.

Obviously I am a remainer but if it gets through parliament and the lords I haven't got a leg to stand on and I will not be moaning (even though my opinion will remain), I just cant have that a 1.9% majority give TM the right to do as she pleases and call remainers undemocratic.

As an side it is becoming clearer she doesn't know what she is doing and I fear will not last long. This was reported below.

Theresa May is set to call EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker to make it clear she intends to stick to the timetable for triggering Article 50 in March, the spokeswoman said.

If true she must know that as of today it is now currently and categorically out of her control to trigger article 50, it makes her look foolish to Juncker.

• Mrs Grey - thanks.

Just one point - in this type of action (review/direction) there is no process for awarding costs against the other party as it is not a 'win or lose' situation.

And I'm pleased that you are not bovvered about most of the questions I raised. ;wink
  • edited November 2016
    ;hmm I thought I read that costs (capped) had been award, Mike. I will 'ave a look.

;puzzled I thought I had answered all of them. I will look back and see which I didn't, and if I have a view on it, I will post it. ;ok
  • re costs...

In some of the coverage of the ruling, I saw this:
    Lord Pannick, for successful claimant, asks court to make formal declaration and order that government pay Mrs Miller’s costs, to be capped. Other counsel seek costs from the government.
    I couldn't see whether the request was granted, but assume since requests were made, it is at least possible.
  • edited November 2016
    re 'not bovvered' .. I am not bovvered about those issues as I thinkthey are red herrings that muddy the waters ;biggrin

• Of course, since the govts case for having the power to do whatever it wants stems from the 'Royal Prerogative'...

... if people feel so strongly about wanting to 'taking back control' from the unelected, safeguard 'democracy' and and ensure 'parliamentary sovereignty', they might think about abolishing the monarchy.

;biggrin

(Lobs that one in and runs away very fast ;run )

• Can someone explain why one of the judges sitting on this was the founder of the EU integration council. Surely judges are supposed to be neutral.
  • Mrs Grey - I didn't say they wouldn't ask for costs to be awarded - just there isn't a process in these cases. Hence the request for a declaration - if the court was minded to make such a declaration Mrs Miller (but not her anonymous backers) could go back to the court with a request that the court then order the government to pay her personal costs (I.e. Capped). The other barristers making claims would have to make separate claims relying on the decision re Mrs Miller.

I'm sure the tax payers will be over the moon to fund such payments to the barristers who no doubt will be most grateful to their mates on the Bench.

And forgive me - I didn't mean to pose questions which might raise some coloured fish or stir up dirty ponds. ;biggrin
  • thorn

I'd like to hope those appointed as judges were impartial. If not, there's a lot bigger problems than Brexit...

• I'm sure the tax payers will be over the moon to fund such payments to the barristers who no doubt will be most grateful to their mates on the Bench.
    ;biggrin

As a tax payer, I am happy that my taxes go towards ensuring that the govt doesn't turn into a dictatorship.

I'm less happy that the govt have decided to appeal, at further cost, a decision they stand little change of overturning in practice and have little grounds for challenging in principle, given the thorough and detailed judgement that was handed down.

But that's just me.
  • Can someone explain why one of the judges sitting on this was the founder of the EU integration council. Surely judges are supposed to be neutral.

Who? And what is the EU Integration Council?
  • As an aside, nice to see 'whither' get a run out. The Peter Crouch of question words.
  • I like a hither/thither/whither ... possibly even more than a hence/thence/whence ;wahoo
  • edited November 2016
    LibDem leader Tim Farron puts it rather succinctly:

"Ultimately, the British people voted for a departure but not for a destination, which is why what really matters is allowing them to vote again on the final deal, giving them the chance to say no to an irresponsible hard Brexit that risks our economy and our jobs,"

However, I'm not sure that's possible. ;hmm
  • Peter Wither played for Forest i think in the 80s? or was it the 70s? Or maybe he was just Withe
  • What's the point NE? People on twitter deal with that on a daily basis.
  • Is Farage back again... I thought he was off touring America.

Wonder what the Seig Heil front page will be tomorrow. I bet they mention Migrants / Muslims or Cancer...

Ok I was wrong, not Migrants or Muslims...

Terence_640x345_acf_cropped
  • ;lol Gotta laugh at how ridiculous that is.
  • Not sure if the problem is his gay / ex-Olympian or a fencer....

;hmm ;doh
  • It's beyond parody.
  • edited November 2016
    vorse, maybe it's his being an openly EX-fencer? A fencer would be bad enough but an EX fencer. What is the world coming to? ;wahoo

Or an Olympic gay? ;poormf
  • The Express:
    Truly, November 3 2016 was the day democracy died.

;lol

#overwrought
  • Well for certain we know they are forming a balanced and fact based response to the judges decision....

The paper version also has an interesting take on things... Considering one of the main reasons for the exit was to give power back to our own legal system....

14720401_352936145043722_4005652376755995082_n
  • If he's an ex-fencer, it's safe to assume he won't be putting up barricades ;biggrin ;yercoat
This discussion has been closed.