The Mark Noble Thread

Comments

• Name me 3 English CMs in better form than Noble and name me 3 English wingers playing better than Antonio please
  • Albrighton?
  • That's one but yes Albrighton would be one

Walcott.....
    Sterling.....
    Chamberlain.....
    Lallana......

All of the above haven't had good seasons at all but all of them will probably go to the Euros
  • Agree Champo, shame isn't it? It's why myself and a lot of others (I imagine you?) don't really care for the England team.
  • esk, my boverd gets less and less as the years role on.

Consecutive England managers make it harded each tournamount to feel invested in the team.

TBH not since the FA [wrongly imho] go shot of Terry Venables have I felt like they represent me.
  • Every time i see players like Gibbs, Townsend, Jones constantly getting called up despite playing time/form I just care less and less. Feel for Noble and Cresswell (who is miles better than Gibbs)
  • Why would we want any of our players in the Euro squad. As soon as we make our usual inglorious exit it will be ours that get all the blame from the media.
  • Name me 3 English CMs in better form than Noble and name me 3 English wingers playing better than Antonio please

And one LB better than Creswell...
  • It's not about what we want though Thorn, it's about the players who want to be there and deserve to be there getting rightfully picked.

Noble wants to play for England desperately and he deserves the chance.
  • I would like to spend 5 minutes alone in a room with Lamela ;angry

I wouldn't need 5.....
  • I honestly wondered a couple of years ago if Noble had peaked, playing in hard working sides over almost a decade but seriously down on the skill/technical side of things.

I always hoped with better players around him he would get better and better.

Well since the summer of 2014 he's had those better players and he's certainly got better.

The other thing that should be mentioned, not only does he cover every blade of grass but in a game where injuries appear to be rife right now.....and in his position where he's battling for everything. He's always fit.

;bowdown
  • That my dear deserved a CMU and an Agree ;ok
  • Nobes rarely gets injured that's for sure - cut from the same cloth as Cressers, Nolan, Lampard etc

Works extremely hard and looks after himself - there couldn't be a better role model
  • I see that Woy would rather take Jack Wheelchair to the Euros over Nobes and is also prepared to welcome Rashford into the fold after the grand total of one league game

;doh

;doh

;doh
  • Is Wayne Rooney and Wenger choosing this team then?? Remember when they took a 10 year old Walcott to the World Cup because Wenge said "he runs fast."

;doh
  • Good to see a few on here have changed their minds about Nobes ;whistle

#welcometothefanclub
  • ;lol

In the same way I might change my mind about your account settings ;whistle
  • edited March 2016
    Nobes on Twitter

Buzzing to announce!!, good friends lee bowyer, bobby Zamora, @konch3 and @Mazer_9 will play in my testimonial
  • Good to see a few on here have changed their minds about Noble

We were all fans and always have been, however this season he has upped his game markedly and has received the (fully deserved) adulation as a result
  • Gone off him a bit now Bowyer is appearing ;whistle
  • Good to see a few on here have changed their minds about Nobes ;whistle

#welcometothefanclub

Still loves a sideways pass, will always be affectionately known as #SonOfRayWilkins

;wink

• edited March 2016

Good to see a few on here have changed their minds about Noble

We were all fans and always have been, however this season he has upped his game markedly and has received the (fully deserved) adulation as a result
    THIS
  • I too am a convert.

I was always a bit meh about him as I was one of the 'sideways pass brigade'. He's grown as a player and continues to grow as a leader. I suspect it's not just down to different coaching and having better players around him but as much to do with him and that confidence breeds confidence.

;bowdown
  • edited March 2016
    Nobes has, IMO, not changed a great deal. I always felt international football was too far for him, because he didn't get enough goals or assists to register on the radar and, as a CM, who isn't a proper DM, you need to add that creative part to your game. I felt he always had that ability, but when Carlton Cole is up top and Matt Jarvis is on the left, it's not easy to get passes where you can score or set people up who convert one in 20 attempts. I remember a load of occasions when he slid in Jarvo with that lovely weighted pass between the full-back and the CB, but every time Jarvis would then fail to beat the covering CB with his cross or float it into the keepers gloves. Neither Nobes fault, but it then doesn't click as a meaningful contribution. This is where the sideways passing comes into play, where there is little movement or a lack of quality to play with. I call it keeping possession. Others call it boring crab football.

Now that he has Lanzini, Payet, Antonio, Moses, Sakho, Valencia, he has pace and options to play with. He has movement which he never had with Nolan, for example. It then showcases what he has always been good at, the technical (technical passer ;wink ) side of his game. So he's not just looked at as a Lee Cattermole who tries hard and makes tackles, and that's it. So, for me, he's not upped his game at all.

What Slav has done is allowed him to excel at what he does by 1) straight away removing him from set-plays, something the previous management and coaching staff didn't realise in four years and all it meant was Nobes got slated on here for poor delivery every week and 2) implemented a new style which is much more proactive and it allows him more freedom to get forward, hence you now see these long range shots every week.

His captaincy is spot on. I never understood the 'we need Noble to be a leader this game' or 'we lack leaders out there' stuff. You don't sit one point off 4th with 10 games left with no leadership in the squad. He's not a Nolan type figure but he has his own calm way of dealing with things and communicating with the ref. Slav's persona is probably a good influence on him.

All he deserves now is an England call-up for his efforts. He'll probably miss out to Payet for Hammer of the Year, another prediction I got completely wrong, but he won't be far behind.
  • Luke

Given that Nobes contributions have led to far more positive outcomes for the side this season than many of the previous, it's hard to argue that he hasn't upped his game

I go back to Scott Parker. For example in the grant season there weren't a huge amount of "positive moments" - however Parker was instrumental in an awful lot of the good moments we did have - hence his FWA player of the year accolade
  • Ha! Now we all agree Nobes is good, can someone change the name to "has he upped his game?" Or something like that
  • How about.

Mark Noble is good, Woy deal with it.