TV and Films

Comments

• Yeold

Is it better than the first one?

I felt the first one never really made up its mind what it wanted to be.
  • ummmm hard to say equally as good not sure if better
  • I fell asleep during the first one so won't be bothering with the second.
  • Yeold

Cheers. Will probably give it a miss then.
  • I thought the first one was really disappointing.
  • Been watching Strike, BBC adaptation of the detective novels written by J.K. Rowling, under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.

They are very good.
  • W1A is hilarious....
  • Brilliant especially the send up of MOTD. Lots of talking and spouting jargon without actually saying anything of any value except for one person.
  • What channel / when is this on?
  • BBC2 on Mondays at 10pm
  • Cheers Thorn... I'll V+ it ;ok
  • edited September 2017
    Suz
    It's worth taking a look at previous series to get the context
    Totally takes the Mick out of meetings for meetings sake and people desperate to second guess their boss's intentions so as to appear on message. I used to work for the beeb and this is how creative's operate ;doh
  • Thanks very much.

Popped it in V+ and series 2 has appeared ;ok
  • ;lol it's like every meeting I have ever been in.
  • They did it first for the Olympics, a bit dated as we know it was successful but at the time it was very squirmy...
  • Baby Driver. So good.
  • Going to watch the new Blade Runner this week..

Anyone seen it yet?
  • I am going to see it Sat night got high hopes after seeing the reviews ;wahoo
  • Pearces ;ok I've read that is certainly a film for the big screen...

I don't often do the Cinema anymore but there are some films that deserve the big screen..
  • They have closed some roads off around Brentwood this week as Tom Cruise is in town filming MI 6.
  • IH he was filming near Childerditch I think, I used to spend many an evening in the Greyhound Pub in my younger days down that way
  • Yep. Thorndon Park and The Avenue were closed off for 5 days and they're back again on Monday.
  • IH he was filming near Childerditch I think, I used to spend many an evening in the Greyhound Pub in my younger days down that way

We used to call it the 'Skinny Dog '! - Many happy summer Sunday afternoon write offs ;cider ;beer ;stout
  • Really not keen on Ryan Gosling
  • He speaks very highly of you!
  • I tried to watch Blade Runner (the original) with some friends last night. We gave up half way through. It wasn't very good. Why do people like it?
  • edited October 2017
    It's more of a cult film, I would say. The sci-fi dystopian/noir thing was a 'new' thing at the time, plus it united all those die-hard sci-fi fans who weren't served by the blockbuster-type sci-fi movies. ;hmm

I thought it was OK, but I've never felt the urge to re-watch it. I imagine it doesn't really age well. Maybe that's why they are doing a new one with a more 21st century vibe?
  • The new one's apparently a sequel though, rather than a re-make, which was why we tried to watch it.

I don't think it's aged so badly. That's probably the impressive part, given the technology available to them. But it's very slow and the acting is so, so bad.
  • edited October 2017

I tried to watch Blade Runner (the original) with some friends last night. We gave up half way through. It wasn't very good. Why do people like it?

Which version? There was the original version with the voiceover, the Director's Cut of 1992 and the Final Cut in 2007. I still prefer the original

The greatest thing about Blade Runner is the soundtrack by Vangelis and the design, they tried to make it look as much like an old Film Noir as possible. They even went so far as sourcing old 1940s and 1950s fabrics to use for the costumes (I had a mate working in "frocks" on the set)