Definitely maybe Man City (H) 31/08 k/o 17:30 UK

1235»

Comments

• Are Real Madrid sportwashing the champions league? Aren't they owned by the royal family?

Quite the opposite, Real Madrid is surpisingly democratic. The owners are around 90k members (socios) of which 2000 form the "general assembly" that elects the club president every 4 years

The club president has to be Spanish (at the time of election), have been a "socio" for 20 years and be able to put up a bank guarantee equal to 15% of the club's budget. Current president Florentino Perez put up €100m for the last election in 2021
  • Mansour bought City because owner Thaksin Shinawatra was facing corruption charges back in Thailand and needed to sell the club. If the situation had been different he could just as easily have bought Blackburn Rovers or Portsmouth, both of which finished above City the previous season
  • In La Liga the only time in the last decade it hasn't been won by Real Madrid (4) or Barcelona (5) was in 20/21 when Atletico Madrid won it.

In the last ten years in France only once have PSG not won the League.

Until last season Bayern Munich have won the Bundesliga nine years in a row.

In the last decade Juventus have won Serie A six times with the Inter (2) and Milan & Napoli once each.

Over the last ten years in the EPL Manchester City have won six times, Chelsea twice and Liverpool & Leicester once.

Far from boring in England is it?
  • alderz said:

You can try to spin it however you like, but - just as it was when this discussion came up the last ten times - I don’t agree, and there’s not been an argument ever made that’s come close to convincing me that they aren’t terrible for sport.

Not trying to convince you, just stating that the evidence shows that they are no more dominant then previous clubs in the "good old days".

And how the witch hunt that puts all of the emphasis on sports washing on a singular club when there are multiple clubs across Europe that have done the same for the last couple decades is, imo, boring and shows glaring recency bias that detracts from the fact we are just seeing one of the greatest Premier League squads of all time managed by argubaly the greatest manager of all time.
  • I'll see your 'recency' and raise you a 'whataboutery' :p
  • MrsGrey said:

I'll see your 'recency' and raise you a 'whataboutery' :p

I want “I agree”, “excellent” and “made me laugh” on this

• We can even the playing field by making them sign Harry Kane, then we will finally get confirmation of whether a jinx exists.
  • MrsGrey said:

I'll see your 'recency' and raise you a 'whataboutery' :p

Is this thesaurus fish puns corner? Hahaha