Definitely maybe Man City (H) 31/08 k/o 17:30 UK

Comments

• Playing City , they are in a quality of their own....Haaland...A beast....Fair play..
  • Great effort by Summerville, took a superb save from Ederson to keep it out.

1-3 FT.
  • Man City are so joyless for the league. Doesn’t even feel like you’re playing humans. Can’t wait for Pep to leave
  • Have to take that result - bit of a strange game in that for periods it was men against boys and yet there were periods where we really held our own and created some decent chances.

The result was never really in doubt but truthfully the score could have easily been 5-3.

In the second half particularly, I really do not recall Fab making a save of note and their third was well taken but arguably against the run of play at that time.

Far from a bad day at the office, albeit, there were moments……….
  • We had a patches of good play in the second half but as soon as Lopetegui abandoned 5-4-1 MNC scored again. May be there is a clue that we should play 5-4-1 against the top six teams. Striker still remains a problem. Antonio struggled and Füllkrug wasn't any better. Hoping that we get some joy next week as are now in 14th position. OK, it is early days but points create momentum.
  • We won’t lose next week as its international break. Next up is Fulham away in two weeks
  • Haaland 70 goals in 69 PL games. Unbelievable
  • I may be in the minority but I actually enjoyed us at least trying to take the game to city

Yea we ended up with the same result but so used to us being terrified for 90 minutes and hitting the odd counter attack

This city team is phenomenal, no shame in losing to this lot

• We played a team that cost £73000000000.560 to put together.A team that if it played in a World Cup would maybe win it, and in that second half we gave them a proper game.
    That bodes well for me.
  • I was impressed with the number of times players were brave enough, and able enough, to take on and beat the opposition in 1 to 1's
  • edited August 31
    Man City are an excellent side without Haaland.

With him they are outstanding.

And when he plays particularly well like tonight, they are ridiculous
  • Not Been impressed with Paqueta these 3 games or for that matter end of last season .has this betting thing got in his head .whatever it is something is not right .Think maybe he should be dropped .I do like the guy .But at the moment he seems to be the weak link in the chain
  • edited September 1
    Managed to avoid the score all day and just watched the match in its entirety.
    After they scored on 10 minutes I thought here we go again. As others have said I was happy to see that we didn’t just crumble but stayed in the game. Some decent passing at times that showed some intent. Definitely an improvement on last season. We all knew there would be some time needed to bed in the new players but even though we only have 3 points from 3 games I think they have been some promising signs.
    I think we have picked up a bargain with AWB.
    Paqueta has been disappointing. In the first half I think Bowen needed to come back more to help out AWB with Grealish.
    The only disappointment from the transfer window is the lack of a decent striker that can hold up the ball. Antonio is not that player and so far Fulkrug hasn’t shown that he can do that role, although it is still early days. I also wondered why Lopetegui waited so long to take off Antonio.
  • edited September 1

Man City are so joyless for the league. Doesn’t even feel like you’re playing humans. Can’t wait for Pep to leave

If it’s got to be another team, most definitely IMO rather them than Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal etc etc.
    Haaland is simply a beast with a deadly finish.
    We gave it a real go, especially the 2nd half, with a little more luck could have scored 3 yesterday… Actually thought Antonio did as well as anyone in the 2nd half, won the ball, held it up etc etc…
    Losing 3-1 to Man City is no shame especially the way we played in the 2nd half IMO ⚒️

• I thought Antonio did ok , I would start him again against Fulham and tell him to give it his all for 60 mins. Jury still very much out on Fullkrug. I really hope he comes good but so far not a great improvement on Ings for me.
  • edited September 1
    Thoughts…

First half was City being City & us not being good enough to raise our levels to compete. Haaland was being Haaland but giving the ball away in our own third & allowing him time to touch & shoot on his left foot, in our box, is asking for trouble. Having said that, I’d rather we did lose the ball trying to be brave & building play than Emerson just playing a safe channel ball to try & win a throw. So whilst Emerson/Paqueta were poor, the idea was correct. We did score with some brave, clever possession football & we did have another half chance with Kudus who dragged his shot wide. City clearly the dominant team & we were fortunate to be 2-1 down.

Second half was excellent. That’s as well as any side has played City for an entire 50 minutes, tactically. They didn’t really have any clear chances (apart from the breakaway Haaland goal) & we caused them problems, hitting the post/bar twice & stretching their defence, whilst also keeping ourselves in the game & in shape. It was a shame the 3rd went in as I think 2-1 would have almost been a moral victory on that second half performance but we all know the quality of City/Haaland.

Lots to build on, particularly second half & glimmers in the first. Paqueta is a worry, in terms of his form, & (again) not seeing a lot from Fullkrug when he does cameo. I would consider playing Paqueta on the left if he is to stay in the side as his sloppy play in the middle is putting us in trouble. But we were brave in that game over the course of the 90 & we certainly asked enough questions for them to feel like they were in a game. We lost the ball a few times but we were brave enough to try & play through the lines instead of hit Antonio & play for set-plays.

Shots first half
    1-10

Shots second half
    9-13

Tells the story of the game.
  • Anyone knows what happened to Areola ? BTW that save he made from KDB in the 1st half, IMO was one of the best I've seen recently.....
  • I was curious about the ownership,of City so did a bit of googling.

Abu Dhabi royal Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan is the majority owner of Manchester City.
    The current Premier League champions are part of the multi-club ownership structure, City Football Group (CFG).
    CFG holds stakes in 13 football clubs over five continents.
    Other clubs in the multi-club ownership structure include New York City FC and Melbourne City.
    Sheikh Mansour is the deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates. He is also vice-chairman of Abu Dhabi’s sovereign wealth fund, Mubadala Investment Company, which reportedly manages a portfolio worth around £250bn.

Basically CFG could literally buy a squad capable of winning the World Cup without the pesky annoyance of having to use players born in the country ie to that end they can and have built such a team by spending huge amounts on the world’s best players as we see now. It’s little wonder they can steamroller over any other side probably in the world.

I for one used to like City but I now despise what they have become. Imo they have destroyed the English game as it’s now them and the runners up. There’s always going to be clubs with more wealth than others but this situation I think is just obscene.
  • Yeah I used to have a bit of a soft for City as were the perennial underdogs, a bit like us, but what they and Chelsea have done is nothing short of disastrous for our football. There would’ve been a third with Newcastle but the current rules have stopped their gallop.
    We can only hope that they get severely punished for breaking the earlier rules but It’ll probably end up as a financial slap on the wrist as both City and Chelsea are too valuable to the Premier League when it comes to selling the TV rights overseas.
  • The only reason I don't mind City winning the league is that other possible winners would be harder to take. Liverpool? Man Utd? Chelsea? Newcastle? Arsenal? yeah maybe, Spurs? Don't even think about it. Were Villa able to find a consistency to mount a challenge this year I would certainly cheer them on over that lot.

I hope City get properly held to account over the fair play rules and that Newcastle don't find a way around them. This would go a small way to creating a more level playing field.
  • Anyone knows what happened to Areola ? BTW that save he made from KDB in the 1st half, IMO was one of the best I've seen recently.....

Speaking after the game to BBC Sport, Lopetegui provided an update on the issue.

“He had one problem in the half with his back. That’s why we changed,” he said.

• Ravel49 said:

Speaking after the game to BBC Sport, Lopetegui provided an update on the issue.

Did he say which back Areola had a problem with?

Emerson? Mavropanos? Kilman?
  • The only reason I don't mind City winning the league is that other possible winners would be harder to take. Liverpool? Man Utd? Chelsea? Newcastle? Arsenal? yeah maybe, Spurs? Don't even think about it. Were Villa able to find a consistency to mount a challenge this year I would certainly cheer them on over that lot.

I hope City get properly held to account over the fair play rules and that Newcastle don't find a way around them. This would go a small way to creating a more level playing field.

I feel like we do this every six months or so, but i would rather any of those other clubs over City and Chelsea. Arsenal, Liverpool & Man Utd built their success and earned it over years. The others are only successful because someone bought it.

And more than that, City’s money has ruined competition and turned the Premier League into another Bundesliga or Scottish Premiership.
  • Ravel49 said:

Anyone knows what happened to Areola ? BTW that save he made from KDB in the 1st half, IMO was one of the best I've seen recently.....

Thanks, let's hope it's a very minor problem.....
  • alderz said:

The only reason I don't mind City winning the league is that other possible winners would be harder to take. Liverpool? Man Utd? Chelsea? Newcastle? Arsenal? yeah maybe, Spurs? Don't even think about it. Were Villa able to find a consistency to mount a challenge this year I would certainly cheer them on over that lot.

I feel like we do this every six months or so, but i would rather any of those other clubs over City and Chelsea. Arsenal, Liverpool & Man Utd built their success and earned it over years. The others are only successful because someone bought it.

And more than that, City’s money has ruined competition and turned the Premier League into another Bundesliga or Scottish Premiership.
    I disagree, sick of the elitism from those clubs that "built their success"

There is NO way to built success without significant investment because the premcis so closed odd and the "elite" clubs make so much more

We will never win the prem, we have never had the chance to win the prem

But what we had was United Arsenal and Liverpool could poach our best players without us being able to do anything about it

Then chelsea came along, and then City, but the established elite nevercetopped spending and have spent more than City to try and compete, they just spend it worse

The others wanna compete, try harder and spend your money better

Arteta/Arsenal & Ten Haag/Untied have spent kings ransoms whhile City are making proftis, they ain't getting any sympathy form me
  • If you want it to be a league where one team wins it perpetually then ok. I just think that’s bad for competition, and the fact that it’s all done to sportswash some pretty egregious human rights violations makes it all the worse.
  • I think Pep is a large part of why City are out on their own as money alone is not enough, as Chelsea are the latest club to find out.

When I think back over my time I think the only real clubs that did it themselves were Clough's Forest, Robson's Ipswich, and Aston Villa (can't recall the manager), with Leicester being the only modern era club to take the crown from the big spenders.

I think Blackburn started the premiership attempts at buying a title but were eclipsed when Abromovich came along.
  • Villa manager was Ron Saunders.
  • alderz said:

If you want it to be a league where one team wins it perpetually then ok. I just think that’s bad for competition, and the fact that it’s all done to sportswash some pretty egregious human rights violations makes it all the worse.

23/24 - Arsenal by 2 points
    22/23 - Arsenal by 5 points (Arsenal's to lose)
    21/22 - Liverpool by 1 point
    20/21 - United by 12 points (outlier)
    18/19 - Liverpool by 2 points
    17/18 - United by 19 points
    13/14 - Liverpool by 2 points
    11/12 - United by GD

So 5 of 8 of the titles they won by less than a full 3 points, it's not like they are blowing the league away

I think Man City have had some of the greatest ever teams the league has ever seen, and they've been pushed close

For a team with "no history" are just forgetting that they won the title in 38 and 68? Or by building success we only gonna include the teams who took advantage of being the best when the revenue of the league began to soar as league 1 became the "Premier League"?

There was too much money in the prem before even Roman arrived, football was getting bigger and bigger and Roman and Mansour only sped that up. It's naive to think that it wouldn't

If Chelsea and city didn't exist, we'd be sitting here saying Man United hadwon 30 of the last 40 Prem titles.... yet City winning 8 in 13 seems to be sportwashing

Are Real Madrid sportwashing the champions league? Aren't they owned by the royal family?

Do people think the billionaire American owners are squeaky clean?

Just think the hypocrisy is ridiculous

They bought a club with big potential, invested into the business into the infrastructure of the club, best academy in the world, and taking advantage of a market already being taken advantage of by the elite

And last 4 years, their net spend is below I think 15 other prem clubs... but again, City are the only problem it seems
  • You can try to spin it however you like, but - just as it was when this discussion came up the last ten times - I don’t agree, and there’s not been an argument ever made that’s come close to convincing me that they aren’t terrible for sport.