Palace away 24/08 k/o 15:00pm UK

1235»

Comments

• Good chance for Füllkrug but he shoots the wrong side of the post.
  • 0-2 FT 😊😊😊
  • A great big fat loss for us today.

That aged well, I know nothing hahaha
  • Second half performance was good at both ends of the pitch. That Fullkrug chance would have been the cherry on top of the cake. Glad Bowen got his goal and started looking like his old self again.

Moyes out.
  • Much better second-half performance and a deserved win against a good Palace side.
  • 3 points down 37 to go =)
  • I managed to get this score in the Predictor, although, I must admit, I'd never have picked it if I'd have seen our starting line-up.
  • Why has Rav not started a Bournemouth thread? Is he busy 'having a life' or something?
  • Not to many football fans around where i live here in canada ,however a palace fan just moved in down the road from me a few months ago ,so i just wore my Hammers shirt past his house the blinds are down and it looks kind of dark .Might have to take another walk a bit later =)
  • Screenshot from the clubs instagram post from Soucek’s goal. I know he get’s head injuries a lot, but how and why was he bleeding on media day?!

• A mere flesh wound, nay, a mere scratch surely =)
  • Positive goal difference atm 😊😊😊.
  • I only got to see the second half which seemed pretty even, but fortunately we took our chances, with the second goal a perfect pass and finish. What is already evident in contrast to last season is the strength in depth that we have, no more so than in midfield, defensive and attacking. The team seem to already be linking together and looked more in tune than last week.

It was good to see Alveraz back for a few minutes as he will make us more solid, Kilman looked very good and if Tobido matches our hopes they will make a great pairing behind him. If there is a position I am less confident in it would be attack as Antonio lacked impact and I was not that enthused about the signing of Fullkrug for such a fee, but it's early days and I hope he can make an impact on the first eleven soon.

Great result and a performance in the right direction.
  • If AW-B stays fit I can't see Coufal starting another game.
  • All in all a good day, the old guard started out and may have made heavy weather of the first half but we looked a different proposition in the second.

Kilman is simply class and I like what I have seen of the other new boys, and when Alvarez came on we looked secure.

I think that as the new boys get their chance and settle in, we will see less and less of Antonio, Coufel and even Paqs position as an automatic first team starter is likely to look under threat,
  • Way better than last week, and everyone's starting to look comfortable with the new system (except maybe Kudus). Interesting that both goals were Moyes breakaway specials, but the use of subs was most un-Moyeslike. Happy Hammer time 🙂
  • Fantastic, BBC One News 8am, main headlines are Israel attacks Lebanon, man arrested for knife attack in Germany and The Ball Boy

Shucks
  • So we have a new song for Fullkrug. Hope he understands the nuance. 😂
  • We just looked a lot more confident than last weekend, Soucek especially looked a lot more comfortable in the box-to-box role
  • Paqueta has been underwhelming in the first two games. Not sure if it is the new game plan or lot of things on his mind?
  • Pengeman said:

Paqueta has been underwhelming in the first two games. Not sure if it is the new game plan or lot of things on his mind?

I thought he ended last season like that.
  • Wherever Hamstew is in the world, I'm sure he loved this weekend.... <3
  • Pengeman said:

Paqueta has been underwhelming in the first two games. Not sure if it is the new game plan or lot of things on his mind?

Personally thought he showed lots yesterday, while it might not have all come off, he got stuck in and showed passion...all IMO of course....
  • Our midfield is so packed with talent now that anyone not showing up won't be getting a start.

Bowen, Paquetta, Kudus, Alveraz, Rodriguez, Ward-Prowse, Sucek, Summerville, Irving and the young Brazillian lad. It's no wonder we sold Downs.
  • edited August 26
    Kilman was excellent & Mavropanos was ok but I’m still not convinced. He makes sloppy passes & always loses his man. But he’s been worse than he’s been so far this season, hopefully he can be developed still & not just pushed aside for Todibo. Really liked Rodríguez. Areola kept us in it once or twice. Wan-Bissaka had a massive impact & Souček had a reasonable game. Emerson was ok. Coufal not too bad but is beginning to get exploited in behind as we play a little more on the front foot.

Kudus, Paquetá & Bowen haven’t got going yet. Antonio has had a horrendous first two games if he wants to reassure Lopetegui he can be first choice. I’d expect Füllkrug to start against City.

I do feel it may be worth putting Paquetá on the left (narrow) & Kudus as a number 10, which means he can interchange with Bowen. I’m not liking Kudus on the left & Paquetá centrally at the moment.
  • Lukerz said:

I do feel it may be worth putting Paquetá on the left (narrow) & Kudus as a number 10, which means he can interchange with Bowen. I’m not liking Kudus on the left & Paquetá centrally at the moment.

I agree with most of your post, however, wrt Paqueta, it's probably worth noting that Paqueta was deeper than the middle of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, so I'm not sure a straight swap with Kudus works that well.

The stream I watched had us set up as a 4-1-4-1, with Paqueta and Soucek as the middle of the midfield 4. I would say that was about right; Soucek definitely wasn't playing as one of a 2 in a 4-2-3-1, he was being deployed to get forward whenever he could and it was often Paqueta who was dropping a bit deeper to help Rodriguez.

Personally I'm not against Kudus on the left, but I think a lot of "who plays where" will be determined by Füllkrug; if he doesn't live up to expectations I can see Bowen playing up front and Summerville coming in on the left. After the last 2 games I really can't see Antonio starting too many games, he's offered very, very little imo.

• I have to admit that the 2 I want to start the most are AWB and Fullkrug. Against City it really is unlikely to matter result wise but AWB will surely be more defensively able. Also, Summerville pace on the break might be worth considering as we will not have much of the ball despite the new way of playing. Hopefully Haaland will get a hamstring in training
  • I would consider switching things up a bit against City, and start more of our new faces then we have up to now, we have nothing to lose and a fresh unexpected line up may just give them something to think about.
  • Analytics United.

Obviously fairly upbeat after our first win of the season, but these two lads put together a decent podcast imo. Below is a link for Youtube, but I believe it is available on podcast from wherever you get such things. They do operate a patreon site, but this content is completely free: