T20 World Cup

Comments

• The revised target was actually revised again, to 126, but Namibia were never up with the required rate and only made 84, losing by 41 runs.

England now need Australia to beat Scotland tonight; anything other than that will see Scotland go through at England's expense.
  • edited June 16
    Australia pick a side with only 2 pace bowlers on a pitch that doesn't turn. Very suspicious given some comments by Cummings earlier in the week, it's almost like they don't want to win.

Scotland off to a flying start against some very average bowling.
  • edited June 16
    Australia, having picked a side ill suited to the pitch, have been extremely sloppy in the field and have already put down a number of catches. It really looks like they're not trying to win, they've just dropped catches off 3 consecutive balls.

This is already way more suspicious than a Paqueta yellow card.
  • Scotland make 180-5. Australia's team selection is very suspect; no Cummins, no Hazlewood, Stoinis not bowled, Agar gets brought into the side on a non-turning pitch. 6 catches dropped and other sloppy fielding. I don't think I've ever seem Australia so poor in the field.

If Australia bat the way they bowled and fielded, and Scotland win, then there should definitely be a stewards enquiry, especially after Hazlewood's remarks (not Cummins as I wrongly said earlier).
  • Australia 2-1, Warner throws away his wicket.
  • Despite their best efforts, Australia managed to win with 2 balls to spare, having been behind for most of the chase; after 13 overs they were 29 runs behind where Scotland had been.

England progress at Scotland's expense.
  • Scotland edged out, but they can count themselves unlucky that they had to qualify for the Super Eight against two top four sides. Best record not to make the Super Eight. With a kinder draw I think they would have made it with those performances.
  • Scotland edged out, but they can count themselves unlucky that they had to qualify for the Super Eight against two top four sides. Best record not to make the Super Eight. With a kinder draw I think they would have made it with those performances.

They got an incomplete game against us, and then Australia fielded a weakened side against them which made it much closer than it should have been. They might have made it through in another group given the performances of some of the other seeded nations, but I guess we'll never know.

• England's first game in the Super 8s, against joint hosts the West Indies. England win the toss and field, restricting the Windies to 180-4 when a bigger total looked likely. On a good pitch, England were always there or thereabouts in the chase, before accelerating when Bairstow came to the crease (48no off 26) and then Salt hit 30 in an over to really put us well ahead, allowing us to canter over the line with 15 balls to spare. A comfortable victory in the end, Salt finishing on 87 not out as England won by 8 wickets.
  • edited June 21
    England are playing South Africa this afternoon in their second match in the Super 8s. England have won the toss and are fielding first, with the same team as against the West Indies.
  • A good start by South Africa, 63-0 at the end of the powerplay on what is a decent batting pitch.
  • Excellent from England's bowlers. 164 feels very gettable for the batters.
  • A good display by England in the field, restricting South Africa to just a further 100 runs in the last 14 overs; I'm sure they would have been very happy to only have 164 to chase before the game started.
  • England are 41-1 at the end of the powerplay, so 22 runs behind where South Africa were at the same stage, but England's bowlers were pretty frugal in the remaining overs so I think we're still well in this.
  • Bairstow tempted by a wide one and he's gone, 43-2.
  • Now Buttler mis-times one and is caught in the deep, 54-3 with the required rate cimbing.
  • The game was there for the taking, but instead we've come up just short, losing by 7 runs.
  • England's final game in the Super 8s is this afternoon, against the USA. The West Indies beat them convincingly, so we need to do likewise, as if the Windies beat South Africa tomorrow, England, South Africa and the West Indies will all be on 4 points so the first three positions will be decided on net run rate, with only the top 2 progressing to the semi-finals.
  • England win another toss and put the USA in to bat. It's the ideal scenario in theory; restrict them to a smallish total and knock it off quickly, but only time will tell if we manage it.
  • Rashid too good for Aaron Jones. Taking wickets, what hitting does USA have down the order? We'll see.
  • USA are 65-3 after 10 overs, a decent start by England but could do with another couple of quick wickets.
  • edited June 23
    Well, we've managed two more wickets by the end of the 14th over, the USA are 88-5.
  • A fantastic performance in the field, restricting the USA to 115 all out. Great bowling at the tail, the last 5 wickets falling without a run being scored. Jordan takes a hat-trick in the 19th over, with 4 wickets and a dot from 5 balls.
  • edited June 23
    Target chased down in just 9.4 overs, with the 9th over going for 32 including 5 sixes by Jos Buttler from the only 5 legitimate balls he faced. He finished on 83 not out off just 38 balls.

England are through to the semi-finals regardless of the result of the remaining fixture in the group, South Africa against the West Indies, either of whom could progress with England.

Although Jordan will take the bowling plaudits with his hat-trick and figures of 10-4, Adil Rashid was superb with 13-2 off his 4 overs, and Livingstone did well too with 24-1 off his 4.
  • edited June 23
    Well, that was brutal.

By the joys of Net Run Rate, South Africa now have to beat West Indies to maintain their 100% record or that first defeat will put them out. Australia (probably) have to beat India to progress too, or Afghanistan can overtake them by beating Bangladesh.

Most likely we'll play India in the semi-final, though we'll have to wait and see how things play out. This is as far as I expected us to progress, but in T20 knock-out- who knows?
  • A humdinger of a final match of the Super 8s, in group 1. Following Australia's defeat at the hands of India yesterday, Afghanistan knew they needed a win over Bangladesh to knock Australia out and progress to the semi-finals themselves. Similarly, a big win for Bangladesh could see them through ahead of both Australia and Afghanistan.

On an admittedly tricky pitch, they made a meagre total of 115-5 in their 20 overs, and eventually Bangladesh were set a total of 114 off 19 overs in a rain affected match. If Bangladesh could reach the total in 12.1 overs, they would finish ahead of both Australia and Afghanistan on net run rate.

Wickets fell throughout, but at 80-5 in the 11th over Bangladesh were surely favourites. However, 2 wickets fell at the end of the over and all hope of reaching the target in the required 12.1 overs seemed to be gone. The run rate slowed, and the required rate rose but was still very manageable by current T20 standards. Bangladesh needed 12 runs off the last 2 overs, with just 2 wickets in hand, although Litton Das, an opener, was still there having just made a half century. 3 singles followed in the first 3 balls of the penultimate over, which included a fantastic bit of fielding on the boundary to prevent a 4. 9 needed off 9 balls as the rain started getting heavier again, and Bangladesh were 3 runs ahead of the DLS par score.

Then a wicket for Afghanistan, and suddenly the covers were called for, with Bangladesh now 3 runs behind. However, although the players got off the pitch I'm not sure the covers even reached the middle before they were being taken off again. The new batsman came in, apparently a real ferret (he goes in after the rabbits), needing to survive 2 balls to leave Das on strike at the start of the final over with a target of 9 runs. First ball, with a field set for a short delivery, it's instead full and straight, and he's struck on the pads, plumb lbw. Afghanistan go wild, the decision is reviewed but he's gone, Afghanistan make the semi-finals, and, more importantly for the other 3 teams still in, Australia go home.
  • John Arlott couldn't have said it better ๐Ÿ‘
  • John Arlott couldn't have said it better ๐Ÿ‘

Why thank you sir ๐Ÿ˜Š.
  • I didn't watch the first semi-final, but I don't think I missed much. Afghanistan won the toss, batted first and were all out for just 56. South Africa strolled to victory, making 60-1 in under 9 overs to reach the final where they'll face India or England whose semi-final is later today (3.30pm BST).

• We'll be lucky to get a game in.