Aston Villa (home) 2.00pm Sunday 17th March

Villa will also have played Thursday night (at home to Ajax) so no excuses.
It would be great to get some revenge for what happened at their place, but I'll be happy with a draw.

Comments

• Please not Darren England as ref: he's been trouble in 4 of the 5 times he's reffed us. Hooper has been the nicest so far... l think this game will need a good ref, Villa will try anything to win, and aim to get Paqueta sent off.
  • Please not Darren England as ref: he's been trouble in 4 of the 5 times he's reffed us. Hooper has been the nicest so far... l think this game will need a good ref, Villa will try anything to win, and aim to get Paqueta sent off.

Ref is Jarred Gillett.

• a close shave ...
  • The best West Ham can get =)
  • Paqueta has a calf knock, apparently.
  • Moo! I mean Boo!
  • Would it be unsportsman like or 'professional' for one of ours to deliver a bit of a slide or kick to Watkins gashed knee? (If he starts of course) Just asking for a friend
  • Are we going to set up like Thursday? If all fit, it’s tempting.

Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Zouma - Cresswell
    Soucek - Alvarez
    Bowen - Paqueta - Kudus
    Antonio
  • It’s so common to see a team have a huge result and the follow it up with a damp squib of a performance. I personally would like to see at least a few changes.

Areola; Coufal Mavropanos Aguerd Cresswell; Soucek Phillips Ward-Prowse; Kudus Bowen Antonio

I don’t really want Phillips to come in, but with Alvarez suspended against Bayer we really need him to get some minutes in his legs and find some form.

I also think I read that Paqueta picked up a knock so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him come out.
  • edited March 16
    There are 4 games between now and Leverkusen, plenty of time to get Phillips match fit. I would play Alvarez, especially against an attacking Villa.

Also, isn't Emerson fit?
  • The times Villa have got stuffed this season (from memory Spurs and Newcastle) I recall the high line being the undoing... I have no doubt the coaching staff will be aware of this. Villa press high and hard so I hope we dont think we can play it out from the back as that'd be a disaster. Lump it up and hope that Bowen, Kudus, Paquetta and Antonio can outscore the Villa #moderntacticalnouse
  • Emerson is back:

Areola, Coufal, Mavropanos, Zouma ©, Emerson, Álvarez, Souček, Paquetá, Kudus, Bowen, Antonio
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Johnson, Cresswell, Ogbonna, Aguerd, Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Earthy, Ings
  • Strong looking 11 ,good to see Emerson back ,Antonio needs a goal to get him going
  • Anyone got a good stream for this one, struggling to find one on new iPad.
  • check other thread
  • Thanks Mrs G
  • Nothing came of it, but they just cut through us so easily, fortunately the final ball was just off.
  • I see the tippy happy time wasters are at it again 🤬
  • To my eye there is too much of a gap between Soucek, Alvarez and our front four.
  • I've got a female co-commentator on my stream, every time someone tries something, it's "you can't blame him". It's annoying already.
  • The game is pretty flat in these early exchanges with both teams cancelling each other out, probably not a surprise given both played on Thursday.
  • Again, straight through the middle of us so easily.
  • Soucek deflects a Paqueta shot just wide. If he hadn't touched it at all I think Martinez has it covered, but a different touch by Soucek and it could easily have gone in.
  • Good work by Bowen, nearly scored direct from a corner, then gets back to make a tackle as Villa broke threateningly.
  • Ball came out to Coufal just inside the box, he struck it really well, but the slight deflection makes it easy for Martinez.
  • Is Coufal just destined not to score for us
  • A couple of times Zouma has been up on the halfway line, I'm having kittens.
  • Oh yes, great cross and a great header Antonio
  • Get in, Antonio.
  • I've got a female co-commentator on my stream, every time someone tries something, it's "you can't blame him". It's annoying already.

You can’t blame her