Squad and Matches England Friendlies March 2024

Comments

• That's why I was so disappointed Maguire started; it was a good chance to see Stones alongside one of the other 4 CBs in the squad.
  • I selfishly started to pay attention when it looked like Bowen and Watkins were up top together - but sadly they were rarely close enough to see if there was any magic there
  • Id rather have had Gomez play with Stones (as opposed to throwing them) He's way more versatile and should be in the squad purely because he can play along the back line. So why not start him?
  • Rice to captain England.
  • Happy for him .Should be the captain for at lest the next ten years
  • Bowen should start play the full 90 .not this 10 or 15 mins here and there .Having said that dont really want him to for our sakes
  • He should have been before now in my view. I feel Noble has been a great influence as a Captain in his formative years and made him a leader.
  • Bowen starts tonight
  • A goal and no injury for Bowen would be just perfect. I hope he does well.
  • Absolute howler by Pickford gifts Belgium a goal.
  • Toney levels from the spot.
  • edited March 26
    Bowen scores but probably ruled out
  • Looks offside tbh.
  • Very poor by Dunk allows Lukaku to set up an easy chance and Belgium retake the lead.
  • Dunks international career probably done and dusted on those two friendly appearances.
    Too many younger CBs that will get the nod ahead of him now.
  • edited March 26
    Mavropanos was part of a Greece team that couldn't score against Georgia despite having a man advantage for all of the second half. It finished 0-0, Georgia won on penalties so Greece miss out on the Euros.
  • Some bright play by Bowen this half.
  • edited March 26

Mavropanos was part of a Greece team that couldn't score against Georgia despite having a man advantage for all of the second half. It finished 0-0, Georgia won on penalties so Greece miss out on the Euros.

Obviously a man advantage for the extra 30 minutes as well. 75 minutes with an extra man and they couldn't break down Georgia; Moyes is gonna want at least one of those players from Georgia 😂🤣😂
  • Bowen taken off
  • More good work by Bowen to create a chance for Foden, who should have hit the target at the very least. Bowen off now on 79 minutes, a good performance imo.
  • edited March 26
    2-2, Bellingham with probably the last kick of the game.
  • Southgate celebrating as if we’ve just won the World Cup.
  • That draw had something to do with Mr Pickford’s silly pass early in the game,
  • If only England had a couple of young quality Centre Backs to match the midfield.
  • edited March 26
    Wales out of the Euros, losing to Poland on penalties.
  • I didn't watch the match but I noticed Bowen got the third highest score on the BBC player ratings after Mainoo and Bellingham. I think he will get into the squad but may find a start hard to come by when Saka is back. On a good day I don't think he is actually far behind him however.
  • Bowen played well, and probably deserves a seat on the plane. The wildcard though might be Cole Palmer who is having a good season in a poor team, although, as Bowen is in the squad and did well Bowen really should go.

We're back to 23 man squads, so basicaly 2 men per position, plus 3 keepers. Assume 8 defenders, that leaves potentially 4 DM/CM, 6 to play in 3 spaces behind the CF, and then Kane and Toney.

Also depends on how Southgate sees Bellingham. Is he a DM/CM, or an AM/no.10?

If TAA is fit, does Southgate see him as a CM?

I can see Southgate picking Rice, Mainoo, Henderson (goodness knows why, but I can't see Southgate dropping him from the squad for the Euros having included him up until now) and nominally Bellingham as the 4 DM/CM.

That leaves the following that he'll feel he's picking 6 from:

Saka
    Bowen
    Palmer
    Foden
    Madison
    Rashford
    Grealish
    Gordon

Knowing Southgate he'll be very reluctant to leave Rashford out, especially as he'll see him as a 3rd option up front, but Bowen has surely shown he can do at least as well if not better in that role. To my mind, Rashford should miss out, and so should one of Madison, Grealish (not having a great season) and Palmer with the final games of the season deciding it.

• Grealish hasnt played and has been injured a lot. We'll see if hes one of Southgates favourites and gets in anyway...
  • Bazshuayi said:

Grealish hasnt played and has been injured a lot. We'll see if hes one of Southgates favourites and gets in anyway...

Yeah, on form you'd think it should be 2 out of Grealish, Rashford and Maddison to miss out. However, Grealish and especially Rashford would be considered among Southgate's favourites, and Maddison is one of the few on my list that genuinely plays more centrally as an AM rather than out wide.

You'd think there's also a fairly decent chance at least one of those 8 will miss out through injury though, so it could be Southgate only has to pick one to leave behind.
  • Bowen and Saka play predominantly on the left. Foden, Grealish, Rashford and Gordon predominantly play on the right. So by my reckoning, Saka and Bowen are safe and it's up to the rest to sort themselves out hahaha