Squad and Matches England Friendlies March 2024

This discussion was created from comments split from: Couldn't Think - from January 2024.
Β«13

Comments

• Bowen makes the England squad, Phillips doesn't. As it should be imo.
  • Given Bellingham has basically been playing as a forward for Real Madrid this season, we're very light in CM. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm surprised a Man Utd player, the youngster Mainoo, has been overlooked.

At the back, 8 defenders selected, but 6 of the 8 are primarily CBs. I seem to remember saying this before (maybe the last squad); I know some of them are versatile, but it is still noteworthy imo.
  • edited March 14
    Bellingham may have been playing as a forward, but it'll be him and Rice in the middle in the Euros regardless.

I quite like the squad this time around (I don't really like Anthony Gordon though). I would say it's pointless to call up Henderson, but with Phillips and JWP out of form at the moment I don't have a problem with it.
  • alderz said:

Bellingham may have been playing as a forward, but it'll be him and Bellingham in the middle in the Euros regardless.

A midfield of Bellingham and Bellingham; a formula for success, clone your best players πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚.

• Obviously I meant Jobe

• I see you've been abusing moderator privileges again πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚
  • Abusing would be deleting your post altogether!
  • Given Bellingham has basically been playing as a forward for Real Madrid this season, we're very light in CM. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm surprised a Man Utd player, the youngster Mainoo, has been overlooked.

At the back, 8 defenders selected, but 6 of the 8 are primarily CBs. I seem to remember saying this before (maybe the last squad); I know some of them are versatile, but it is still noteworthy imo.

Southgate obviously reads the forum:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68605447
  • Southgate can read =)
  • Not England, strictly speaking, but I see Paqueta is playing in tonight's match.

Please do not break him.
  • Feel a bit sorry for England with Paqueta starting for Brazil =)
  • MrsGrey said:

Not England, strictly speaking, but I see Paqueta is playing in tonight's match.

Please do not break him.

Yeah, the same goes for Bowen should he get on, we can ill afford to lose either of them through injury.
  • Hugely disappointed to see Maguire starting alongside Stones,I guess it means we're stuck with him for the Euros as well. People say he doesn't make mistakes at international level, but that's simply not true; also worth bearing in mind that most of England's opponents are ranked significantly lower than England, so Maguire is tested (though still found wanting) much less at international than club level.
  • Lovely play by Paqueta to set up a very good chance for Brazil.
  • Walker has received treatment for his hamstring after chasing back when Paqueta set Vinicius Jnr through; surprisingly, given it's only a friendly, he's carrying on. Pep will, rightly, be livid if he ends up injured after this.
  • Walker now goes off, replaced by Konsa. Really can't see why he didn't come off immediately.
  • Walker now goes off, replaced by Konsa. Really can't see why he didn't come off immediately.

Not even sure why he was starting, there is nothing we don't know about Walker in an England shirt, these matches are for putting less capped players who we may need to play a part in the upcoming tournament into an international line up. I know he is injured but It would have been laughable if he played Kane when we have players he needs get a look at.
  • edited March 23
    Paqueta in the book now, maybe he'll get subbed sooner rather than later.

Then he hits the post, shoulda scored tbh.
  • Paqueta naughty again, last chance saloon.
  • Poor by Maguire, just saying.
  • Bowen on, for Bellingham. I guess Foden moves central.
  • Paqueta subbed off.
  • What a boring game of football.
  • edited March 23
    Surely that was offside when the long ball was played.

Edit: the goalscorer was offside on the long ball, but the guy who received it wasn't. Don't like the current offside rule.
  • No way are we winning the Euros with boring Southgate in charge.
  • Well, probably not winning them without Southgate in charge either.
  • edited March 23
    Just hoping Man u does take Southgate .Not only do we get to laugh at Man U longer .England might just get a good Manager
  • Can’t recall their keeper having to make a meaningful save. At least it looks as if Paqueta and Bowen got through unscathed. Only Tuesdays games fir them to survive now although for Bowen it only tends to be about 15 minutes.
  • steve said:

Just hoping Man u does take Southgate .Not only do we get to laugh at Man U longer .England might just get a good Manager

I know it was reported as a possibility somewhere, but Southgate hasn't managed at club level since he was sacked by Middlesbrough a couple of months after he relegated them back in 2009. I really can't see Man Utd taking that sort of a gamble on someone who, by the summer, will have been out of club management for nearly 15 years.
  • edited March 23
    My own take on it. It was a friendly, so no pressure for a result. Thus, a good opportunity to try out a few newer/ less experienced players.

But no point putting out a totally experimental XI, because what you need to see is how a couple of the newer caps can fit into what we might call the 'First XI' type team. Bung all the kids/newbies on at the same time and you learn nothing useful. Because Southgate (England management team) knows the qualities of each individual player - that's not something that needs to be proven.

It's about trying out the 'core' with a different (say) number 9. Or a tweaked formation.