Arsenal (A) 20.15 Thursday 28th - or 15.15 in the USA (east coast)

1235»

Comments

• Feels good to be a Hammer .Also got a new west ham shirt today .Happy times

• Slacker said:

Really?
    I reckon most would agree that I’m probably the most positive person on here mate.😂

Steady. 😂
  • Also sounded like we shouldn't expect too much money to be spent in January, despite the fact that I think we had a negative net spend in the summer.

I don’t think we did have a negative net spend in the end, but there wasn’t much in it. I’ll double check.
    Slacker said:

Really?
    I reckon most would agree that I’m probably the most positive person on here mate.😂

Two negatives don’t make a positive, I reckon.
  • edited December 2023
    Jorderz we’ve got 33 this season so the commentator was correct but not at that particular moment
  • Saw a good stat earlier - Bowen has scored more league goals than Saka, Martinelli and Jesus combined this season.
  • alderz said:

Also sounded like we shouldn't expect too much money to be spent in January, despite the fact that I think we had a negative net spend in the summer.

I don’t think we did have a negative net spend in the end, but there wasn’t much in it. I’ll double check.
    Leaving aside the possible purchase and then loan back of Andy Irving (mainly because I've not seen anything about it on the OS, and it's only about £1.5m, with half of that being paid back for loaning him back), we sold Rice, Scamacca, Vlasic and Masuaku, and bought JWP, Alvarez, Kudus and Mavropanos.

I'm not saying these figures are 100% accurate, but according to Transfermarket.com, the relevant prices (in Euros) were:

Sales:
    Rice 116.6m
    Scamacca 25.5m
    Vlasic 12.8m
    Masuaku 2m

Total 156.9

Purchases:
    JWP 34.8m
    Alvarez 38m
    Kudus 43m
    Mavropanos 20m

Total 135.8

Obviously there may be associated costs such as agent fees and the like that could easily swallow up the 21 million euros difference, but headline figures would suggest we had a negative net spend.
  • edited December 2023
    But you have to take into account that some of those incoming (sale) fees might not be in yet, some of them may be gross figures with us perhaps still owing the original club part of their transfer fee...

Also, accounting is done over a 3-yr (?) period, so profit this year isn't ring-fenced for spend this year. It may be needed to offset earlier losses, and disappear into the black hole of debt.

I just think it's a bit too simplistic to say 'we made profit so we should have that much to spend' :+1:

Plus, nobody wants to spend in January - you don't get the same vfm as you do in the summer.
  • Come on nyc, get the Brighton thread going, Moyes has already done his pre-match press conference
  • Obviously there's a big difference between net cashflow and net spend, and profit is entirely different again depending on the book value of players etc. Yes, it's very simplistic to say "we made profit so we should have that much to spend", but I don't think I came anywhere close to saying that.

However, the long and the short of it is that there would normally be an amount in the budget each year to spend on new players, most of which would be spent in the summer window, and the point I was making is that we don't appear to have touched that yet, so, for me, it's disappointing to hear Moyes suggest that there's not much money in the pot.
  • A few weeks ago there was a report (might have been from Ex) that we wouldn't be spending much in January because we were close to the FFP limit so we'd need to sell before we could bring anyone else in

Apparently the problem was transfers last season (£160m out, £20m in) rather than this season
  • I think Moyes said last night that we might need to sell a couple before we can sign anyone else.
  • WH Holding Ltd has announced its financial results for the year ending 31 May 2023.

Following a significant and record-breaking investment of £183.9m in the men’s playing squad in the summer of 2022, which ultimately led to a hugely successful and memorable 2022/23 campaign, the Club reports a net loss before tax of £18.3m.

Across the 2021/22 season, the Club reports a net profit before tax of £12.3million, a notable improvement of £39.2m from the loss of £26.9m in 2020/21.
  • So over the 3 years we have a net loss of 45.2 million.
  • So over the 3 years we have a net loss of 45.2 million.

I make it a loss of £32.9m
  • You are undoubtedly right, I'm rubbish at maths and I've just noticed another number I didn't account for, a bit like me last night looking at the wrong number for Soucek's goal hahaha
  • Just watched the game. The defending was amazing. I can't remember any mistakes or poor decisions, and under such intense pressure that was....amazing. I'm still... amazed 🙂
  • Just watched the game. The defending was amazing. I can't remember any mistakes or poor decisions, and under such intense pressure that was....amazing. I'm still... amazed 🙂

Well it was shown on amazeon =)
  • Well it was shown on amazeon.

Ouch! =)
  • One of the gooners at work was moaning that his wife had broken his Arsenal mug. I said to him, what a daft woman, doesn't she know that when you put Arsenal on top of a table they always fall off

He was not overly amused 😁😁😁
  • Was probably the only cup with their name on it this season, too.
  • One of the gooners at work was moaning that his wife had broken his Arsenal mug. I said to him, what a daft woman, doesn't she know that when you put Arsenal on top of a table they always fall off

He was not overly amused 😁😁😁

I feel his pain tbh.