Other pl games weekend of 16 Dec and through weekend of 24rd

edited December 2023 in Other Teams & Matches
This discussion was created from comments split from: Couldn't Think - from November 2023.

Comments

• Watching Chelsea v Sheff U is a proper weird experience.
    How can any West Ham fan want t’Blades to win?
    Like I say weird.
  • Bournemouth Luton abandoned as Lockyer collapses again. Think that could be the end of his career.
  • Thankfully he seems ok, but yeah, second time in 7 months it's happened and, as surgery after the first time didn't correct matters it could be he doesn't play again.
  • edited December 2023
    Burnley so desperate they are playing their 1st choice 'keeper even though he's supposed to be revising hard for his GCSE mocks. Shame on them.
  • Gotta love Palace ;)
  • Bazshuayi said:

Gotta love Palace ;)

Roy in.
  • Nice to see Fulham brought down to earth.
  • They only beat us because illness swept through the camp (and I am sticking to that)
  • Bazshuayi said:

They only beat us because illness swept through the camp (and I am sticking to that)

I'm not saying we would have got anything from the game, but I do think it was a factor in the scoreline.
  • Brentford v Villa is feisty, Brentford took the lead, then had Mee sent off, Villa scored twice to lead 2-1, then Martinez instigated a fracas that saw his own player get sent off so both teams down to 10.
  • Darwin Núñez is a nasty little player

Think I might have found my Zaha replacement
  • Onana has been taking kicking lessons from Joe Hart
  • edited December 2023
    Dalot sent off for 2 yellow cards in about 5 seconds (deep in added time), both for dissent I believe; means he should be suspended for the match against us. Match finished 0-0.
  • Nice to see Fulham brought down to earth.

It needed an incredibly stupid red card from Raul Jimenez to reduce Fulham to 10 men and a goal from a 17yo Geordie kid

Fulham are still a team punching above their weight without having the funds of other Premier League teams
  • The Liverpool game was weird, they dominated, had 30+ efforts and countless corners but so many were ineffective due to a poor touch, a heavy pass or simply opting for the worst option available for the final ball, it was almost as if they were trying to hard, oh and Nunez

He is my new pet peeve, looks very over rated and arrogant, he has perfected the “wot me ref” face
  • Bournemouth v Luton to be replayed in full:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67780629
  • Danny Welbeck with a nifty header, to add a bit of Christmas anxiety for Roy Hodgson.
    Do managers get sacked at Xmas? Seems harsh.
  • MrsGrey said:

Danny Welbeck with a nifty header, to add a bit of Christmas anxiety for Roy Hodgson.
    Do managers get sacked at Xmas? Seems harsh.

Lots of companies lay off people at Christmas, or it appears so at least. Maybe because of Christmas it just sounds more.
  • So, I'm a big VAR fan

But now not such a big referee fan

Villa goal disallowed because about 5 minutes before, there was a foul on the Sheffield keeper. For me, that's a poor decision. The initial foul didn't affect the actual goal scenario. Is that really within the VAR remit?
  • MrsGrey said:

So, I'm a big VAR fan

But now not such a big referee fan

Villa goal disallowed because about 5 minutes before, there was a foul on the Sheffield keeper. For me, that's a poor decision. The initial foul didn't affect the actual goal scenario. Is that really within the VAR remit?

Yeah, the keeper was definitely fouled, but following that Sheffield Utd then had clear possession of the ball and lost it. If he'd have given the foul initially (ie before the goal was scored), then fine, but to me that was a new phase of play and the goal shoulda stood.

• But the goal would never have happened but for the foul. It's not like the ref waved play on, he didn't appear to see it.
  • Why? Sheffield retained possession?
  • edited December 2023
    And VAR isn't there to review every decision.

So a foul not seen gets not reviewed in all circumstances.
  • IronHerb said:

But the goal would never have happened but for the foul. It's not like the ref waved play on, he didn't appear to see it.

If it's a new phase of play, then going back to an earlier foul is surely "re-refereeing the game" which apparently is not what VAR is for.
  • Villa player surely has to go for that swing of the arm.
  • Blooming 'eck.

Smash and grab.
  • I do enjoy Martinez conceding goals 😂🤣😂.
  • Villa player surely has to go for that swing of the arm.

I thought that was ok. He was trying to shrug off the restraint and clipped the other guy accidentally/ glancing blow. Did draw blood though, so could see why the decision might have gone the other way.
  • Usually any contact with the head and you're in big trouble, he easily coulda gone with how things are usually interpreted these days. Woulda been harsh imo, but I'm surprised he didn't go.
  • Good goal but also poor defending.