Newcastle (H) 2pm Sunday 8 Oct (not on TV)

Here come the Barcodes.

Eddie Howe has stuck with the 4-3-3 formation that was successful last season but despite all the Saudi money he doesn't seem to have a lot of depth to the squad, especially in the front three.

Last weekend CF Callum Wilson came off with a "tight hamstring" and missed the PSG game which leaves Alexander Isak as the only out-and-out striker, On the left Harvey Barnes is out for three months with a toe injury and Antony Gordon is suspended after picking up his fifth yellow card in just seven weeks.

In a pinch Joelinton has played as a left winger but he only lasted 4 minutes as a second half substitute last weekend and also missed the PSG match. That leaves the option of switching Miquel Almiron to the left and giving RW Jacob Murphy his first start in the Premier League since April.

In the midfield Joelinton is doubtful while Joe Willock has been out with various problems since the end of last season and big summer signing Sandro Tonali (£55m from AC Milan) was dropped to the bench after four Premier League starts with 20yo Newcastle youth graduate Elliot Anderson preferred for the last three.

At the back CB Sven Botman has missed the last three games with a knee and has been replaced by club captain Jamaal Lascelles

Despite missing several key players they beat PSG 4-1

Most likely starting XI

Pope
Trippier Lascalles Schar Burn
Longstaff Guimaraes Anderson
Murphy Isak Almiron

Wilson and Joelinton will face a late fitness tests but otherwise subs will be from GK Dubrovka, GK Karius, GK Gillespie, CB Dummett, LB Targett, LB Hall, RB Livramento, RB Manquillo, RB Krafth, DM Tonali, RM Ritchie plus kids.

Newcastle's back four are dominant in the air but not particularly speedy. We've not beaten Newcastle at home since April 2019 when Rafa was manager but I think Moyes; tactics of defending deep and hit on the counter might be perfect for this one.

Comments

• We need to beat this lot and put them in there place
  • Antony Gordon is suspended after picking up his fifth yellow card in just seven weeks.

Ahhhh

Alvarez is on four yellows after 8 weeks

Our next three games are Villa, Everton and Arsenal, hopefully he can arrange his bookings to be suspended against Everton
  • At the press conference when asked about injuries Howe said "Maybe some short term pain there for us".

Howe said Wilson and Joelinton are "closest" to recovery but he didn't confirm that they would be available

If Wilson is fit to start then it could be...

Almiron Wilson Isak

Wonder if he wishes he'd held onto Saint-Maximin and Chris Wood?
  • That would be a No to Both .Me thinks
  • Let's hope all of their players are still tired from the PSG game and the subsequent celebrations :)
  • Let’s hope that Wilson’s injury is long term. He gets under our skin
  • Yup, I bet he looks forward to this fixture every season.
  • edited October 2023
    Our performances have been so good this season, even in games where we didn’t have much of the ball.

We’ve beat Chelsea, Brighton, Luton, Sheffield United in the PL, two wins from two in Europe, into next round of League Cup & the three results this season we didn’t win we were 1-0 up at Bournemouth for 80 minutes, 1-1 with Man City for over 70 minutes & 1-1 with Liverpool for an hour. We have been so consistent so far. Would’ve been nice to have got something from one of those bigger teams, but they were currently the top two.

It will be interesting in the next two as I feel all our games have either been games we’ve been expecting to take points off or games we knew we were up against it. Newcastle & Villa I think sit in that 50-50 where we neither expect to win or lose.
  • Completely agree. Newcastle, Villa, Brighton and us feel like we’re in a mini-league, to me, so judging ourselves against them is going to be revealing.
  • I think we have a decent chance against Newcastle. They seem to continuously be riding this wave of good feeling and confidence, but their actual team doesn't overly frighten me.

Villa away will be really tough as their home form is ridiculous these days. But I'm sure we'll give them a game.
  • Can only imagine the team is going to be…

Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Aguerd - Emerson
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Paqueta
    Bowen

If Antonio is out.
  • feel like Newcastle and Villa are still currently better teams, both have better defenders and arguably top draw centre forwards that we lack.
  • Cant see Moyes risking Antonio with the international break coming up
  • edited October 2023
    Areola, Coufal, Zouma ©, Aguerd, Emerson, Álvarez, Souček, Ward-Prowse, Paquetá, Bowen, Antonio
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Kehrer, Ogbonna, Fornals, Kudus, Cornet, Benrahma, Ings, Mubama

Unchanged from last weekend.
  • You know who on the bench for Newcastle ,Just in case you don't it,s Wilson
  • I'm surprised Antonio is playing as it seemed like he was unfit - I'm glad he is as I think this is our best side. I'm excited for Kudus to get some games, but whilst the team is playing as it is, I think Antonio deserves to continue.
  • steve said:

You know who on the bench for Newcastle ,Just in case you don't it,s Wilson

😧 noooooo!!

• alderz said:

I'm surprised Antonio is playing as it seemed like he was unfit - I'm glad he is as I think this is our best side. I'm excited for Kudus to get some games, but whilst the team is playing as it is, I think Antonio deserves to continue.

I'm not so shallow that I only look at goals and assists from a CF, especially the way Moyes sets us up, but I think it's a marginal call atm. Antonio doesn't seem to be motivated for large periods in games these days, most of the time he just isn't the handfull he used to be. As I say, I do get that it's not easy being a CF in a team that has as little possession as we do, but the effort needed isn't there a lot of the time imo.

Maybe he'll be motivated against the team his mate plays for and we'll get one of his all too rare "beast" days.

• edited October 2023
    Pope
    Longstaff Guimaraes Tonali
    Murphy Isak Anderson

Anderson not a natural LW
  • Pope
    Longstaff Guimaraes Tonali
    Murphy Isak Anderson

Anderson not a natural LW

You could argue that Paqueta in playing LW for us and that's certainly not his natural position either.

• Ball retention has been atrocious so far.
  • edited October 2023
    Get in, Soucek with a tap in.
  • Ball retention has been atrocious so far.

Edit: We are massive.
  • Stupid by Emerson, gets a card for gesturing for a yellow which was awarded to the Newcastle player anyway.
  • Paqueta is bossing things.
  • Newcastle lucky to not be down to 10.
  • Ref doesn’t have the bottle to send Guimeraes off there.
  • edited October 2023
    Wow, exactly what I just posted in the "Other Games" thread, a definite yellow for the Newcastle player (Bruno Guimarães) just booked, he should be off.
  • if we lose this game we should demand for it to be replayed :p
  • It was as clear a yellow as you could see, very poor by the ref.