Manchester City (H) 3:00pm Saturday 16th Sept (not on TV)

edited September 2023 in Match Threads
It's been fun while it lasted.

So far Moyes's cunning plan of allowing the opposition to have 65-75% possession has worked a treat but City will be the biggest test of just how good his tactics are.

As far as City goes they've carried on exactly where they left off last season with four wins in four games although they have conceded goals against Sheffield Utd and Fulham. Pep is expected back in the dugout after missing two games for back surgery and his starting XI has been pretty consistent with most changes enforced through injuries. 15 players have started and another six players have featured as substitutes although against Newcastle he didn't use any substitutes and against Sheffield Utd only one substitution was deemed necessary.

Obviously De Bruyne is out with Ake, Stones and Grealish also currently unavailable.

Best guess

Ederson
Walker Akanji Dias Gvardiol
Rodri Kovacic
Silva Alvarez Foden
Haaaland

Our only win over City at the London Stadium was in the League Cup 27 October 2021, 0-0, 5-3 on penalties. We've not beaten them in the league since 19 September 2015, 2-1 at the Etihad with goals from Victor Moses and Daifa Sakho. Our last league win at home was 25 October 2014, 2-1, Amalfitano and Sakho (again)

Sakho announced his retirement in July even though he was halfway through a 2 year contract with AS Nancy Lorraine in the French third tier. Last season he scored 7 in 21 appearances but had to quit due to pain from a back injury. He has a long history of back problems, dating back to an injury he suffered on international duty with Senegal back in November 2014, BFS was furious and accused the Senegalese medical team of mistreating it.

Hope he enjoys retirement and drives carefully

A draw would be nice but someone better be ready to take over.

Comments

• Ward-Prowse to treat kick off as a freekick, lob Ederson, and then the rest of the game we have all 10 outfield players stand on the goal line with hands behind their backs, and Areola in front of them to protect them.
  • A draw not out of the question in our current form and with our confidence high.

I am just happy to be going into the next two games with 10 points on the board, as 3 or 4 probably wouldn't have been unanticipated, having our first four include Chelsea and Brighton.
  • Imo our start has bought us a free hit. Any points at all from this and I'll be happy.
  • Imo our start has bought us a free hit. Any points at all from this and I'll be happy.

Let's be honest, Man City is pretty much always a free hit as anything from it is really a bonus.
  • edited September 2023
    Areola
    Coufal - Zouma (c) - Aguerd - Emerson
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Bowen - Paqueta
    Antonio

Fabianski, Mavropanos, Ogbonna, Kehrer, Fornals, Kudus, Benrahma, Cornet, Ings

I imagine will be the side…

That side started at Brighton, who are very similar to City.

Moyes knows how to get results against this lot; 1-1, 0-0 (win on pens) & 2-2 in 2 of the last 3 seasons at home, we lost 0-2 at home last year. We’re probably as strong as we’ve been in that time & they are probably as ‘weak’ as they’ve been over the same period.

1-1
  • In the press conference before the Hungary match Czech manager Jaroslav Silhavy confirmed that Coufal is "slightly injured",
  • Is there any news on JWP's scan following his training injury?
  • Referee: Madley, Andrew
    Assistant Referee: Lennard, Harry
    Assistant Referee: Hopton, Nick
    Fourth Official: Bramall, Thomas
    Video Assistant Referee: Bond, Darren
    Additional Video Assistant Referee: Ledger, Scott
  • Kovacic was an unused substitutes in both of Croatia's games, seems he has a back injury and could be out for a week or two

On the flip side Ake's hamstring seems to have sorted itself out, played 45 minutes against Greece and 90 minutes against Ireland

Ederson
    Walker Akanji Dias Ake
    Rodri Phillips?
    Silva Alvarez Foden
    Haaaland
  • That team doesnt scare me. We got this :)
  • Ederson
    Walker Akanji Dias Ake
    Rodri Phillips?
    Silva Alvarez Foden
    Haaaland

I think you're right to include the "?" with Phillips, I really can't see him playing tbh. More likely to play a 4-1-4-1 with an extra player in behind Haaland imo.

• Pep has been pretty consistent with his 4-2-3-1 formation even when playing newly promoted Burnley and Sheffield United, I think it would be unlikely he'd switch to a more attacking formation away against us.

Phillips replaced Kovacic for the last 5 minutes of the Fulham game

Silva played deeper against Burnley until De Bruyne went off and Kovacic came on so possibly he could start alongside Rodri with Foden on the right and Duku on the left (or Grealish if fit)
  • Any of that is more likely than Phillips starting imo.
  • alderz said:

Ward-Prowse to treat kick off as a freekick, lob Ederson, and then the rest of the game we have all 10 outfield players stand on the goal line with hands behind their backs, and Areola in front of them to protect them.

Alderz, I think you should send this Moyes.
  • Is there any news on JWP's scan following his training injury?

Just read that JWP and Coufal were both training on Wednesday (Thursday, the article isn't super clear), so seems that all is fine.
  • alderz said:

Is there any news on JWP's scan following his training injury?

Just read that JWP and Coufal were both training on Wednesday (Thursday, the article isn't super clear), so seems that all is fine.
    It was yesterday, not Wednesday. I've just watched the embedded tweet from Sky Sports News and it's now pretty obvious, actually
  • edited September 2023
    In my world yesterday was Wednesday or was the article written on Wednesday and meant yesterday which would have been Tuesday.
  • Hmmmm

When we played City last season our back four were

L2-0 at home
    Coufal Johnson Zouma Cresswell
    (Dawson, Ogbonna and Aguerd unavailable)

L3-0 away
    Coufal Kehrer Ogbonna Cresswell
    (Zouma and Aguerd unavailable, Coufal has to be replaced after 60 minutes

Will be interesting to see how we get on with Aguerd and Zouma in the starting XI
  • In my world yesterday was Wednesday or was the article written on Wednesday and meant yesterday which would have been Tuesday.

Oh man. It's nearly 11 o'clock and I've just realised that it's not Friday. What an awful feeling.
  • edited September 2023
    Claret and Hugh confirms that JWP is good for Saturday
    alderz said:

Oh man. It's nearly 11 o'clock and I've just realised that it's not Friday. What an awful feeling.

That's been my life since 1997...
  • Claret and Hugh confirms that JWP is good for Saturday

alderz said:

That's been my life since 1997...
    It's definitely been Friday since 1997
  • Bazshuayi said:

That team doesnt scare me. We got this :)

It is not that team that scares me………😉

• Pep confirms that Stones, Grealish and Kovacic will be unavailable,
  • Been a long two weeks innit?
    Sooooooo looking forward to getting going again.⚒
  • I wonder if Aguerd will be in the right mind to play today, after what’s gone on in Morocco
  • Yeah I wondered that. It would be completely understandable if he passed on this one imo.
  • alderz said:

I wonder if Aguerd will be in the right mind to play today, after what’s gone on in Morocco

I suspect he'll play, Moyes in his presser:

"He seems to be OK".

https://www.whufc.com/news/talking-points-david-moyes-manchester-city-positive-start-and-coaching-additions
  • Aguerd played for Morocco on Tuesday
  • Aguerd played a full 90 minutes, Morocco 1-0 Burkina Faso , friendly played in Lens