Manchester City (H) 3:00pm Saturday 16th Sept (not on TV)

1235»

Comments

• It's probably why Moyes really seemed to want Maguire, I guess we will see Kostas in the Euro match in the week.
  • Lots of players get skinned by Walker. I thought Zouma played well today.
  • edited September 2023

I worry for Zouma near the end of matches. It looked like he could hardly run. As the matches come thick and fast and as he tires as the season progresses, I don’t think he’ll be able to last 90 mins. Sadly I don’t think he’s got many years left in top flight football if his body/knees/joints are aging like they are

He won't be playing Man City every week.

He won't have to play 90 minutes twice a week.

He still did a full match today, nearly scored and it's not that long ago that people here were nominating him for MotM. ( previous games, not today)

He can still be really effective for us in a squad - he brings a lot of experience, physical attributes and skill. If we manage him well, I think ( barring actual injury) he could have a PL career for a few years yet.

Ps, Craig Dawson is 5 years older.
  • It's probably why Moyes really seemed to want Maguire, I guess we will see Kostas in the Euro match in the week.

Tbh, even more of a reason not to have bought Maguire imo.

Summer 2021: Zouma
    Summer 2022: Aguerd
    Summer 2023: Maguire (if we'd have got him)
    Summer 2024: Ogbonna replacement
    Summer 2025: Zouma replacement (if he makes it that far)
    Summer 2026: Maguire replacement

Given we're likely replacing Ogbonna and Zouma in the next 2 summer windows, getting Maguire this summer could easily see us lumping out £30m or so on CBs for 6 consecutive summers.
  • Not sure how many times we’re going to bring Ings on but he doesn’t really offer anything.
  • Would much rather see Mubama come on as a sub than Ings!!
  • Slacker said:

Lots of players get skinned by Walker. I thought Zouma played well today.

I wasn’t referring just to the race with Walker. There were plenty of other times in the second half where he was moving in a very laboured fashion (leaning forwards awkwardly with a short and uncomfortable stride length)
  • MrsGrey said:

I worry for Zouma near the end of matches. It looked like he could hardly run. As the matches come thick and fast and as he tires as the season progresses, I don’t think he’ll be able to last 90 mins. Sadly I don’t think he’s got many years left in top flight football if his body/knees/joints are aging like they are

He won't be playing Man City every week.

He won't have to play 90 minutes twice a week.

He still did a full match today, nearly scored and it's not that long ago that people here were nominating him for MotM. ( previous games, not today)

He can still be really effective for us in a squad - he brings a lot of experience, physical attributes and skill. If we manage him well, I think ( barring actual injury) he could have a PL career for a few years yet.

Ps, Craig Dawson is 5 years older.
    I’m not knocking his ability. I think he’s a great player and has had a strong start to this season. However, it looks like whatever his issue is, one can assume it’ll get worse with time as he ages. This would be the same whether he is playing top of the league or bottom of the league. I agree he’s still a great player but, as you say, over time he’s likely to regress into a bit-part squad player (a bit like what say Ogbonna is for us now).

I’m not too sure what the comparisons to Dawson’s age has to do with it. A players’ ‘body age’ and biological age can be very different depending on injuries, genetics, how they look after themselves, playing style, football IQ, positioning, proprioception etc.
  • welovethehammers:

"proprioception"

Just in case anyone is wondering. ;)
    Proprioception is the awareness of the body in space. It is the use of joint position sense and joint motion sense to respond to stresses placed upon the body by alteration of posture and movement.

And yes, I did have to Google it as I thought it was a misspelling or something. =)

Must assume that welovethehammers is a physio or something. ;)
  • Knew the result, couldnt watch live and watched highlights. By highlights I mean the first half. Well played lads, top of the league with 13 points!

#happy to delude myself
  • I must admit that whilst out and about delivering mail and parcels to the denizens of Slough I must admit to getting a little excited seeing the half time score.

Alas, was deflated when checking the full time score

;weep
  • I know the second goal was bad, but we rely on Aguerd's speed and poise. I've never seen a defender intercept a shot on the line, control it, and then pass it clear between two attackers. That was Bobby Moore cool, that was 👍
  • Pengeman said:

Disappointed with the result, but some pleasing aspects of the performance. Alvarez substitution changed the game. What if Antonio had scored in one-to-one?

Not sure Antonio has scored in a one-to-one situation. 🤔

Good game in which we were full participants. We played some nice football at times instead of just hoofing it.
    Doku looks a real player abut Coufal had a decent game against him.

All in all a pretty good performance. ⚒

• But we still lost ,And it hurts
  • Yes we lost but we were playing the best team in Europe, probably the best team on the planet. That underpinned my view that we have very good team. In the second half of the first half our football was excellent. If there was a weak link it was Soucek. I feel that Kudas will be a very good player for us.
  • IronHerb said:

Pengeman said:

Disappointed with the result, but some pleasing aspects of the performance. Alvarez substitution changed the game. What if Antonio had scored in one-to-one?

Good game in which we were full participants. We played some nice football at times instead of just hoofing it.

Don’t you count the one against Norwich when he got 4 goals? Yes it might have bounced back off his head after he missed the initial one on one but I say we let him have one
  • IronHerb said:

Pengeman said:

Don’t you count the one against Norwich when he got 4 goals? Yes it might have bounced back off his head after he missed the initial one on one but I say we let him have one
    I don't count that. He didn't score from the one on one but did get the rebound.
  • Didn't see the 2nd half, can anyone tell me what they thought of Kudus when he replaced Antonio for the last 25/30 minutes?
  • He did look bright .But seeing as City had the ball for 29 of the 30 mins .Was hard for him =)
  • Alvarez has said he’s not injured but fatigued with jet lag.
  • I forgot to do the Magic Minute. Doh!
  • Not hurt by the lose as with moneychester its always expected. If we go into the game and give a good account of ourselves I cant see how we can expect more (only scenario is we play brilliantly and they have a massive off day plus that seems to happen to other team when City actually dont win games)
  • MrsGrey I would have picked the 36th min ,Does that still count =)
  • Sounds fair to me
  • Now if Haaland got injured for a few months then I'd be interested in Pep's injury news