Transfer Deadline Day... & Post Deadline Speculation

Comments

• Johnny Evans back to Man Utd. Another notch down the pecking order for Maguire

Not necessarily.
  • Johnny Evans back to Man Utd. Another notch down the pecking order for Maguire

I'm dreading that this frees up Maguire for a late late move.
  • Still a kick in the teeth for him Alderz
  • Apropos the transfer window.... it's 2023. Surely we could have a soft-closing system fitted?

All this slamming is giving me a headache, and somebody's sure to get their fingers trapped one day.
  • The problem is, if the window closes softly, without a sound, Chelsea won't hear it and continue signing players.
  • I think it’s pretty certain our business is done
  • Lingard if he signs can be done at any time.
  • edited September 2023

Liverpool reject a £150m bid for Salah that would have seen him earning £1.3m a week if I heard it correctly 😱😱😱.

Just heard 1.5m a week [Sky}
  • Contrary to a lot of press reports, Maxwell Cornet is still at WHU and was on the bench tonight. I wonder if Moyes will give him the Antoni and Arnautovic treatment and convert him to a striker.
  • Looks Sangare is joining Forest.
  • Deadline day without Rav is just not right!
  • edited September 2023
    Re Salah... It makes total sense for Liverpool to reject the 150M bid. If they came in that heavy they'll go more. Maybe 175M for example and then they get a ridiculously mindboggling amount for a 31 year old on the decline (not much of a decline yet but his sell by date is coming sooner rather than later and Liverpool can buy virtually any replacement and massively gain)

Also if someone had told me that Mane, Salah and Firmino would leave in such proximity I would've never believed it
  • Ekitike... Sure I saw something about him rejecting a German club because he wanted to come to us. I find it pretty weird we havent got him or En Nesyri. If either had happened I'd say its been an impressive window for us
  • I think we've had a good window.
  • Yes, I wasnt saying we've had a bad or even average one. JWP, Avarez and Kudus are way better than I expected us to sign. That said, I didnt think we were going to sign anyone at one point :). I just think a strong, pacey forward who can hold up play would be the cherry on top (and something we need!)
  • Good window But like Baz said a forward With skill who knows where the goal is would have made it a great one
  • edited September 2023
    A poor window for me, we've definitely been stitched up imo. The business we've done has been good, there's just been too little of it; it's more about what we didn't do than what we did.

Firstly, the positives. We got a good price for Rice and most of other other outgoings. It's a shame Scamacca wanted out, but he just didn't settle and at least we recouped a good chunk of what we paid for him, and managed a sale rather than the loan that most of his suitors were pushing for. We played hardball with Torino over Vlasic as well, and definitely got an extra few million for him than we might have done in previous years.

We also refused to overpay for our earlier (although not early) purchases, with both JWP and Alvarez coming in for a chunk less than was being asked for them originally. More by luck than judgement we managed to avoid Maguire, although I must admit I'm slightly concerned that we signed an alternative with known medical issues, especially with our track record. I'm pleased we signed Kudus given that he's highly rated, we'll just have to wait and see if that translates to PL performances.

Now the bad, we've kicked so many cans down the road that we've already got a massive job to do next summer, and all whilst having a negative net spend this window. We've also managed to seemingly alienate some players that clearly wanted away; I'm not saying just because they want away we should automatically crumble, but given that, for instance, Cresswell and Antonio need replacing anyway, it seems a very odd ploy. For next summer, we're already looking at:

Antonio - Old, needs replacing, wants away, will be OOC
    Cresswell - Old, needs replacing, wants away, will be OOC
    Ogbonna - Old, needs replacing, will be OOC
    Fabianski - Old, needs replacing, will be OOC
    Zouma - Suspect knees, will likely need to cash in at some point before he's worth nothing
    Paqueta - Likely would have been gone but for betting issue, situation very much up in the air
    Coventry - Nowhere near PL level, will be OOC
    Johnson - Will be OOC, lost his way, unhappy with what he's been offered
    Coufal - OOC although we hold a one year option so last chance to get anything back on him, needs upgrading
    Benrahma - Seemed to be in a position we'd clearly earmarked for an upgrade given interest in Barnes and Borges, but Benrahma still the incumbant for LW/LAM, needs upgrading
    Ings - So unsuited to how we play, will have a year left on contract next summer
    Fornals - No longer a regular starter in the PL, OOC next summer although reported that we have a one year option.

There's so much work that needs to be done next summer, and a few of those issues really should have been addressed for this season. CF is surely the most obvious one. Antonio has had a couple of decent games, but he's a very hot and cold player, especially once he gets some miles into his legs during a season. He can't be relied on to maintain any form, and the alternatives are basically a completely unsuitable Ings or a very inexperienced Mubama who should be out on loan this season. The off-mentioned option of using Bowen threatens to remove our most potent attacking threat from the last couple of seasons from where he's been very effective; who in their right mind would do that? It's inexcusable to have gone through another window without bringing in a CF.

I'm torn between 3 other positions as to which is most important that we should have added to. LB, LW and CM. Cresswell clearly wanted away, and we should have let him go if we could have got anything for him; he's clearly well past his best. Emerson has good games in him (increasingly so) but we need an alternative as well given the games we've got this season and I am very wary of having to rely on Cresswell again this season.

LW seemed to be a priority position to upgrade early in the window given the strong links to Barnes and Borges, but it went off the radar; did Benrahma suddenly improve whilst he was on holiday? He has to be one of our most frustrating players; his pass to Bowen against Brighton was sublime and, had it been a Man City or Arsenal player we'd still be seeing constant replays of it, but his open play shooting was as ineffectual as usual this evening and you can see why Moyes would want more contributions from the position.

Finally, CM. One player out injured and we effectively have no cover there. Coventry isn't a serious option, he wasn't even on the bench. Sangare went to Forest for about £30m late on Deadline Day, surely we'd have been a more attractive option? I know Downes didn't pull up any trees last season, but if we weren't going to bring anyone else in, why did we let him go out on loan?

So my frustration is that we had a negative net spend of upwards of £20m, whilst having areas that desperately needed attention. Add to that a minimal (in the current age) transfer budget of £50-60m and we could have addressed at least 2 of the 4 areas I've outlined above, and removed 2 from the long list of problems to deal with next summer. The good business we've done is completely undermined by the work left undone. A grudging 5/10, probably boosted from a lower score by our good start to the season.
  • I should have added (yes, my post could have been even longer), what would we have done if we hadn't sold Rice? Would we have bought anyone at all?
  • I can understand that, but I also think that not everything needs to be done at once. IMO we have a stronger, more balanced squad than we did last season. Will we need to do more work next summer? Yes. But if we made all of those signings right now, would we still need to do work next summer? Yes.
  • edited September 2023
    We couldn't realistically have done everything, but 2 or 3 more signings (which should easily have been affordable) would have given us a stronger squad for this season and would leave a much more manageable task next summer. I'm hugely disappointed that we've not done more this summer.
  • Personally, I think one more (striker) would have been the cherry on top of the window. But I do get it, I completely understand where you’re coming from.
  • As an aside from our transfer business, does anyone else think it’s pretty poor that BBC and other sport news sites are reporting on every little thing to do with Mason Greenwood? I have this feeling that there Will be an article about him every week, which feels like it’s completely undermining the point of him being out of the limelight.
  • Some fair points there Buffy but I go back to my default position re transfers: nobody really knows what went on behind the scenes, we could’ve been very,very close to more incomings and outgoings .
    I think we had a good window and I’m glad we didn’t do a Forest and got virtually a new side in - again.
    Mostly though I’m just glad it’s over.🎉
  • Jesse waiting patiently I’m sure 👍🏻
  • Cheers buffy, that post reminds of being in school and having to read bits of the Bible hahaha
  • Cheers buffy, that post reminds of being in school and having to read bits of the Bible hahaha

Really didn't intend to write such a long post, but I'm just so frustrated by our lack of activity; there are so many things that obviously need to be addressed by next summer that I find it impossible to believe we've done so little about it this summer.

Despite the number of players we've brought in in the last 3 windows (13), we've still got the oldest squad in the league, so we're just creating problems further down the line apart from the fact that we should be stronger than we are for the current season which includes a European campaign.
  • There's always January.
  • MrsGrey said:

There's always January.

Value is even harder to find in January than it is in the summer, and we've got form for only spending in January when we're in a relegation battle so I can't see us doing much then tbh.
  • I know. But it's still an opportunity to get one or two in, to reduce the summer burden.